The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

Nice post Amir.

I have only read the Parrish book and it disturbed me so much that I began questioning my first love, which is why we have had this exchange of opinions.Thanks for your memories of Cape Cod, reminds of the first Wembly show in 72, Just like Sebastion wrote in his song Do you believe in magic, back then I really did. I caught several shows on that tour. But next time was Alexander Palace, we were there for all 3 nights and they were just so damned lethagic, they never caught fire,and suddenly all the excuses we had made for the deteriorating quality of the various studio albums and off shoot projects ,all the hopes for next time... I guess the end of innocence! It was THAT painful!

I have never heard JG Band live, I look forward to an appropriate recomendation from you when they get round to releasing a definitive concert.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've never really paid much attention to the Dead, but recently started giving some of their live shows a shot. I've been more impressed than I expected. Moreso by the Cornell 1977 show than the show from 1983.

I didn't so a search through all 13 pages of this thread, so I don't know if this has already been posted or not, but over 2,000 Dead shows are available for download for free from here

No P2P software required. If anyone wants to know how to decode / listen to shn or flac let me know.

I've read that Garcia's heroin use began during the hiatus while he was editing the Grateful Dead movie.

This seems to explain the really laid back vibe that settled over the band upon its' 1976 return to touring. I do enjoy late '70's Dead, especially '76 and '77. My guess is the heroin honeymoon lasted for a few years. Garcia was able to handle it, but by the 80's it took over and his playing suffered.

To me, Garcia was a MONSTER player before the hiatus in '74.

Well. . . the Deadsters have a really effective, for me, marketing approach: those bonus cds that they only offer from the website with an order. I found I just had to have the one that was with the Jerry Garcia box set, and glad that I did order from them, because I LOVE that version of Saint Augustine. And so something happened in my cabeza and I went and ordered the new box set through them so that I could get the bonus cd which looks really good. . . and also the second in the Pure Jerry series which comes with a bonus cd from them.

My finances are very shaky indeed. . . :huh: Anyone want to buy 25 Duke cds? B-)

Well. . . the Deadsters have a really effective, for me, marketing approach: those bonus cds that they only offer from the website with an order. I found I just had to have the one that was with the Jerry Garcia box set, and glad that I did order from them, because I LOVE that version of Saint Augustine. And so something happened in my cabeza and I went and ordered the new box set through them so that I could get the bonus cd which looks really good. . . and also the second in the Pure Jerry series which comes with a bonus cd from them.

My finances are very shaky indeed. . . :huh: Anyone want to buy 25 Duke cds? B-)

Wish I had your laugh-at-danger esprit, Lon. Best I can do is put The Golden Road and Beyond Description box sets on my Christmas list (along with a couple of Vault releases I haven't picked up yet).

<_<

I've read that Garcia's heroin use began during the hiatus while he was editing the Grateful Dead movie.

This seems to explain the really laid back vibe that settled over the band upon its' 1976 return to touring. I do enjoy late '70's Dead, especially '76 and '77. My guess is the heroin honeymoon lasted for a few years. Garcia was able to handle it, but by the 80's it took over and his playing suffered.

To me, Garcia was a MONSTER player before the hiatus in '74.

I actually hadn't listened to all that much fom 1976 until recently, and I'm finding it very, very appealing. I recommend two particular offerings from the Internet Live Music Archive: June 9, 1976 (Second Set) and June 10, 1976 (full show) - both shows from the Boston Music Hall. These are great outings (dig 06.09.1976's St. Stephen > Eyes of the World > Let It Grow!), and boast fantastic sound quality.

Edited by gdogus

Well, I have the box set in da house now. Must say: remastered sound is excellent, very very good, so much better than the earlier cds. And there is almost exactly half as much bonus material I think, which is well chosen.

So far the biggest rush for me is hearing the acoustic demo of "Weather Report Suite" done by Weir and his 12 string (?) alone. Man oh man. That suite is my favorite music of the Dead, period, (I don't think this has anything at all to do with Wayne or the WR band, and is all the better for it) and to hear this seminal recording is a thrill!

Saw this on another board....

I got "Beyond Description" through dead.net today...excellent sound and packaging.

Unfortunately my copy of Shakedown Street has an error during "New Minlewood Blues."

At about the 3:46 mark there is a skip, the lyrics "stealin women from their men" get cut. That part is intact on the original CD issue of Shakedown, I compared them.

Then there is another short skip after that.

Also, I hear that the next DP(DP33) is going to be a combo of 10/9-10/76.

Edited by Chalupa

Anyone else think the extra material on Terrapin Station and Shakedown St is better than the original release? I think the live tunes from Egypt on Shakedown are so much more interesting than the album-I know, it's typical for the Dead to be better than live, but this is like comparing two different bands. I shuddered when I heard Terrapin Station and Shakedown St (I thought-woops!! what the hell did buy??) but the bonus material makes up for it. Also, it's nice to have the first 3 albums in nice remastered sound (especially Blues for Allah! Distorto!! :excited: ) with all the nice packaging. What do people here think of the bonus disc?

Now Listening To...(From the Internet Live Music Archive)

February 26, 1977 - Swing Auditorium - San Bernardino, CA

Set I:

Terrapin Station (First Time Played!), New Minglewood Blues, They Love Each Other, Estimated Prophet (First Time Played!), Sugaree, Mama Tried, Deal, Playin' In The Band > The Wheel > Playin' In The Band

Set II:

Sampson And Delilah, Tennessee Jed, The Music Never Stopped, Help On The Way > Slipknot! > Franklin's Tower, The Promised Land, Eyes Of The World > Dancin' In The Street > Around And Around

Encore:

U.S. Blues

:alien:

Edited by gdogus

even Built to Last is more listenable now with the extra live tunes on it. But man I still cant understand why they had to let Brent Mydland write so many songs. He sounds like Richard Marx! The live Foolish Heart is better than anything on the studio record though (as usual)

Well, it's not too hard to understand. In the Dark had been a very unexpected hit, and they felt some pressure to get another studio album out. Garcia and Weir weren't writing all that much new stuff, so they let Mydland have a larger-than-usual share of the writing space on the follow up.

That said, I agree that Built to Last is pretty poor stuff. It's by far my least favorite Dead studio effort - in fact, I can't even listen to it.

:tdown

Edited by gdogus

Well apparently the title piece/suite was only played live three times, and none seem to appear in the Dick's Picks series. . . there's the one on the box set, and the one on One from the Vault, and another from August 1975 I think that I haven't located yet. . . .

Well apparently the title piece/suite was only played live three times, and none seem to appear in the Dick's Picks series. . . there's the one on the box set, and the one on One from the Vault, and another from August 1975 I think that I haven't located yet. . . .

One From the Vault is the August show.