The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This might be interesting for those who love the acoustic Bird Song performances from 1980. Try out (w/ headphones) their early resumed electric performances. Here's one from a nifty show, in good sound (worthy of streaming for saving):

http://www.archive.org/details/gd80-11-30.sbd-aud.sacks.2416.sbeok.shnf

Cheers, Dan

It was fifteen years ago today that Captain Trips left us behind. I know many of us will be forever grateful for what he brought to our lives.

A wonderful testament to Jerry's broad appeal is that the San Francisco Giants are commemorating Jerry with a 'Jerry Garcia Tribute Night' tonight at the ballpark, complete with Jerry Garcia bobbleheads, stealie hats and t-shirts, a pre-game performance by the GD cover band 'Cryptical', and with the pre-game national anthem to be sung by Bob Weir and Phil Lesh.

Long live Jerry's music!

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting, even if '89 is pretty well represented on official releases.

re: '89 into '90 generally, Brent's songs are awful but at least you can skip his songs; compared to fucking caterwauling of Donna Godchaux he's a regular Pha Terrell.

and oh, Bobby mostly sucks at slide guitar but sometimes he mangles it SO well it ends up being interesting noise.

finally, GD Without A Net (composite '89-'90 material) is the ** ONLY ** record ever with otherwise-worthless Branford Marsalis I wouldn't beat-- or shotgun-- like a rabid dog chomping on my sweet baby's arms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSjoAtPgUc4&feature=channel

Interesting. New Road Trips too.

Huh, I didn't even see that. Interesting that the Taping Compendium doesn't think that highly of the 2 '80 shows (5/6-7/80), at least as complete shows. Supposed to be very good versions of "The Other One," "Terrapin," and "Shakedown" though.

Also kind of interesting to see no bonus discs involved with either release. I wonder if they got tired of people who are terrible at budgeting bitching about not being able to come up with funds quick enough to get them. :lol:

Generally, I ignore this period, though I've been told that this period after Jerry's "return" is hot.

I hope this is a big money maker for them and that it continues to fund more projects. Since it's multi-tracked that could even open up the wallets for those who have it already. I've never been a fan of the post '89 "Dark Star" - it's a "Dark Star" in name only, though I'm sure it was fun to hear the opening notes in person. And while I sympathize with Jerry being bored with just a plain old guitar, most of the time when I hear the MIDI I wish the damn thing had never been invented. Sorry Jer', but I'd rather hear a guitar solo than a trumpet solo from ya.

Gee, I think I'm still slightly bitter that I was at the shows just before Hampton out at Mountain View, having missed the 1st night when they broke out "Death Don't Have No Mercy." As usual the east coast got the "Dark Star," "Attics," and the "Help>Slip>Frank" breakout. Maybe in another 21 years I'll get over it. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Unless the drunken mewling of maybe the 150th best white boy "blues" (sic) singer of the era is your "bag," Pigpen's demise was BY FAR the best thing to happen to the Dead. Only "what if" is if he'd ever cleaned up and improved his technique enough to become an aggressive, exploratory keyboard player. Bobby Bland belching up a pop top can of warm Rheingold >>>>> all of McKernan vocal performances combined. If he was useful "catalyst" cum "distraction" to let Jerry grow without having to bear more pressure than he wished... that's fine, but it doesn't mean his time wasn't already used up.

WORST THING TO HAPPEN TO THE DEAD (of that era): Tom Constanten leaving, because it opened the door to Donna Jean yowling live. (She was fine in the studio, as her pre-Dead career attests, tho' wearing hip-huggers and having an Alabama chin dimple didn't hurt her career either-- just ask Chips Moman.)

Edited by MomsMobley

• 1 month later...

Road Trips Volume 4, Number 1 announced. 3 disk set from May 23 & 24, 1969 at the Big Rock Pow Wow Festival on the Seminole Indian Reservation in Florida. Looks like a good one!

CD 1

Too Hard To Handle

Dark Star

St. Stephen

The Eleven

Turn On Your Lovelight

CD 2

Introduction

Turn On Your Lovelight

Doin' That Rag

He Was A Friend Of Mine

China Cat Sunflower

The Eleven

Death Don't Have No Mercy

CD 3

Morning Dew

Me And My Uncle

Yellow Dog Story

Alligator

Drums

St. Stephen

Feedback

We Bid You Goodnight

Two complete shows of Primal Dead! To be shipped on 11/16.

Also for release on 11/16, a new CD of Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band performances from the Lunt-Fontanne run in October 1987 called "Ragged But Right".

Just when I thought my wallet was safe...

Road Trips Volume 4, Number 1 announced. 3 disk set from May 23 & 24, 1969 at the Big Rock Pow Wow Festival on the Seminole Indian Reservation in Florida. Looks like a good one!

I have the 24th and everything around "The Eleven" is everything you want out of '69 Dead. And an "Alligator" played in Florida? Oh yes. :) I've had my copy for about 10 years and it doesn't have the "Dew". Not sure if later circulating copies added that or not, but that's a pretty major omission! I've never heard the 23rd (disc 1 of this set) but a "Dark Star" w/ all the goods...yup, good stuff. I think I just heard jazzbo & the Orchid Dr. click "place order." ;)

Wait a minute. That set list for the disc 1(which I assume is 5/23)doesn't match up w/ what's in circulation.

Set 1

Intro (Missing)

Hard To Handle (Missing)

Morning Dew

Me And My Uncle

Dark Star ->

St. Stephen ->

The Eleven ->

Turn On Your Love Light (Missing)

Ditto for 5/24

Turn On Your Love Light, Doin' That Rag-> He Was A Friend Of Mine-> China Cat Sunflower-> The Eleven-> Death Don't Have No Mercy, Alligator-> Drums-> Saint Stephen-> Feedback-> We Bid You Good Night

:unsure:

Oh I see they took the Dew and MAMU from the 23rd and put it on disc 3.

Yup, I didn't figure that out until after I posted. As the trading copy of the 24th did have a cut or 2 I thought perhaps it was missing a Dew. I'm all for altering reality if it means you get a "Morning Dew." :party:

Florida did alright w/ good ole Grateful Dead. Although they were skipped in '72 you have this show, Dick's Pick 1 from '73, the Jai Alai shows from '74 (a nice section from 6/23 on the So Many Roads box), plus the May '77 shows that were DP'd. Not bad at all for a place that doesn't have Fillmore or Spectrum in the name!