The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My first reaction was "I want it I want it I want it".

But then I thought, hold on - I don't even play much of the GD stuff I do have.

And then I thought of all the different artists I'd get if I went out and bought 60 CDs.

Then I thought about the Bristol sessions and Jay Miller cajun sets coming out on Bear Family this year - a much higher priority for me these days.

The, ahem, issues they're having are mind-boggling. I've been watching this ongoing train wreck for years now. Fuck 'em.

cdbaby, County Records, Arhoolie, cdconnection, Amazon, Worlds Records, Archeophone, sometimes Mosaic - places I buy from and never have "issues".

The news today is that the big, big box is sold out.

I clicked on the ordering link Friday morning and haven't received a confirmation e-mail, so I guess I'm out of the running.

They're announcing that there will also be a music-only edition, without all the deluxe packaging, for the same price. But I'm not so sure about paying the same price and getting less.

It'll be $7.50 without the suitcase which isn't bad, though I understand the feeling of not getting all of the goodies. Someone noted on Hoffman that the whole dang tour fits on one blu-ray disc. I think they should sell it that way with a pair of white gloves with stealies on them to handle the pricey disc.

10 years ago I would have jumped at this but now...well I didn't. I did play play Rotterdam though which is the first time in at least a year I've played a full Europe show. It's a good one. :) Nothing like kicking things off with Playing. It did enter my mind that with a pro mastering sure would sound better, but I'm getting pickier in my box set purchases and trying (though mostly failing) to listen to what I already have. I have all but 6 of the Euro shows and have heard 2 that I don't have. I'd be curious to hear those that only circulated as AUDs someday and buy some shows ala carte, but not enough to spend $450. Lately I've come to appreciate good editing over completeness (which has gotten in the way of a few Mosaic purchases too.)

I clicked on the ordering link Friday morning and haven't received a confirmation e-mail, so I guess I'm out of the running.

They're announcing that there will also be a music-only edition, without all the deluxe packaging, for the same price. But I'm not so sure about paying the same price and getting less.

I tried to put in my reservation immediately, but also didn't get confirmation. I am sure that I was in time, but this looks like an inside-job allocation. To hell with them. I am not buying anything.

Edited by John L

I tried to put in my reservation immediately, but also didn't get confirmation. I am sure that I was in time, but this looks like an inside-job allocation. To hell with them. I am not buying anything.

I'm thinking the same thing. Somebody's gonna have a lot of sets on eBay a week after they ship.

I received my confirmation code and I bought one....even though I reserved 1 set, the site was allowing me to buy as many as I wanted. Knowing that my credit card won't be charged until it ships allows me to save the money over time. Now I know where my money for umpiring girls softball will be spent!

• 2 months later...

Anyone have info on this upcoming release? Appears to be legit, but the Dead website has nothing on it:

61VvH%2BnZLTL._SS500_.jpg

Flashback with the Grateful Dead - Amazon

It's a compilation.

Forgot to say that I saw Furthur w/ Phil and Bobby last week. Pretty good but I think I caught them on an off night judging by the recent set lists. DSO are a lot of fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out the 2nd set from 11/21

[1:28:00] ; Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo [7:35] > Playing In The Band [11:54] > El Paso [3:42] > Playing In The Band [1:00] > Wharf Rat Jam [0:05] > Dark Star Jam [3:25] > Wharf Rat [7:52] > Playing In The Band [13:10] > Morning Dew [12:05] ; Truckin' [8:22] > Nobody's Fault But Mine [4:44] > Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad [7:57] > One More Saturday Night [4:41]

Oh yeah!

IIRC, there are some cuts of death in the circulating SBD copies that I've heard.

Check out the 2nd set from 11/21

[1:28:00] ; Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo [7:35] > Playing In The Band [11:54] > El Paso [3:42] > Playing In The Band [1:00] > Wharf Rat Jam [0:05] > Dark Star Jam [3:25] > Wharf Rat [7:52] > Playing In The Band [13:10] > Morning Dew [12:05] ; Truckin' [8:22] > Nobody's Fault But Mine [4:44] > Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad [7:57] > One More Saturday Night [4:41]

Oh yeah!

IIRC, there are some cuts of death in the circulating SBD copies that I've heard.

Ah, I'll have to check mine for that. When I think of fall '73 cuts of death the 10/30 St. Louis show is especially cruel. This Denver show I think is much better than the OKC DP 19 (10/19/73). They did it right by making this the full show and including the 2nd set meaty* bite from the other night.

*Beef reference is in honor of Owsley. :P

Edited by Quincy

New Road Trips.....

Denver 11/21/73

Great show.

I had a SB of that, one of my all time favorites. Haven't bought any Dead since the RT from 1970 last year (plus I passed on the 73 Winterland Box, though I did borrow from a friend) so while I don't need any more Dead from 73 I will have to get this.

Edited by WorldB3

Here's the AUD patch info on the Charlie Miller version of 11/21/73:

Sony Stereo Mic -> Master Cassette -> CD (shnid=22096) supplies:

Me And My Uncle (0:17 - 0:19)

Dire Wolf (3:11 - 3:13)

They Love Each Other (2:29 - 2:50)

Let It Grow (2:33 - 2:58)

Playing In The Band d2t08 (2:34 - 2:54)

Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad (4:40 - 5:05)

And seeing how I have something lesser than Charlie's, this is worth it to have the "Let It Grow," "Playing" & "GDTRFB" fixed. Plus those precious 2 seconds of "Me & My Uncle." :lol:

• 2 weeks later...