What's Inside:
•Five Complete Shows
• 5/11/77 St. Paul Civic Center Arena, St. Paul, MN
• 5/12/77 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL
• 5/13/77 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL
• 5/15/77 St. Louis Arena, St. Louis MO
• 5/17/77 University Of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
•14 Discs, 111 tracks

I ordered it as I never got around to getting St. Louis nor the AUD Chicago show, plus it's May '77 - they just couldn't do wrong that month (well, the some of the early NY shows aren't all that, but by the 4th they were locked in). It'll be great to have a better sounding Tuscaloosa too, a show worthy of being Dick'd long ago.

Any thoughts on this upcoming release?

gratefuldead_may77_productshot3.jpg

What's Inside:

•Five Complete Shows

• 5/11/77 St. Paul Civic Center Arena, St. Paul, MN

• 5/12/77 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL

• 5/13/77 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL

• 5/15/77 St. Louis Arena, St. Louis MO

• 5/17/77 University Of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL

•14 Discs, 111 tracks

Ordered it the first day it came out. I'm a sucker for Spring '77 dead. My favorite era. And that's saying a lot.

Dave's Picks volume 6 just arrived: San Francisco 12/20/69 & St. Louis 2/2/70. The bonus disc is San Francisco 12/21/69.

Something about this release I can't quite get into yet. I think it needs a few more spins on my stereo. Oh well . . .still haven't absorbed the Spring 1990 box

Finally finished off the 70/69 Dave's Picks and I do believe that there are more tuneless out of pitch of backing vocals by the boys than anything Donna ever yelped. I thought Bob was through puberty by '70. :lol:

Now wait a minute, wait a minute! :)

Even though I'm in this pic only because I was tipped off that the Dead would be on a certain flight, I'm still proud of it!

8339204346_5755ff0093.jpg

You were great in CHiPs!

LOL . Never been told that I resembled Eric "Ponch" Estrada before, but at my current age I'd take Chuck Estrada. (And you thought YOUR cultural reference was dated!)

Great picture btw!

In case not everyone got the email Sunshine Daydream (8/27/72) is going to play in selected theaters on August 1st.

*And as it's how many months & I still can't post a goddamn good looking link with this "upgrade" here's a broken link to it:

http://www.fathomevents.com/?utm_source=Fathom&utm_medium=PR&utm_campaign=MeetUp13/#!sunshine-daydream

So do we go out on a limb and assume that a DVD (crosses toes for blu-ray) release will be available on August 27? Not that I require full frontal hippie nudity in 1080p, but I'd be keen to have the music sound its best even if the sun & heat was doing all it could to make it sound warped. :lol:

Edited by Quincy

• 4 weeks later...

gra9900095.jpg?1373638985

Thoughts ?

It's enjoyable enough if you're not in a hypercritical mood (and don't think about what they could have released instead) although it peters out after the Scarlet>Fire>Good Lovin'. I'm pretty sure all circulating versions which sound very good have a cassette gen so hiss can be heard in the quiet moments (and most have a cut in A&A if that matters). There's a "Stayin' Alive" tease that Keith even participates in and as usual "The Music Never Stopped" is a great way to end a first set. I was exchanging emails with a friend who revisited his copy and he noted that the NFA is very relaxed and not the "gnarly, shredding, stomping beasts" like it often was in '77-'78. Of "Black Peter" he said it doesn't have the "desperate, 'rage against the dying of the light' quality" the better ones have and instead "Peter is on an extended morphine drip throughout." (I'm listening to mine right now and just now getting to the end of the 1st set. I skipped "Friend Of The Devil" as I'm not in the mood for the deathly slow version).

I'm wrestling with the thought of trying to trade mine (I have a subscription), ideally (and don't laugh as one never knows without trying) for a '72 Europe 3 disc set that I don't have. You know, just in case someone doesn't like 4/7 or something or has 2 of them. :lol: Even with some tape hiss I think my trading copy of 4/24/78 is good enough, and it seems whenever I play it (like now) I think there are better options if I want to listen to this period. It's one thing to be playing a '90 show and stopping it before Brent's big bummer "I Will Take You Home" send off but in '78 it kind of sucks when the final 20 minutes of the 2nd set is just kinda going through the motions. Although some people really love the "Werewolves" encore and that makes it all up for them.

Of the '78 official releases my favorite is Dick's Pick 18 (2/3-5/1978) as it has 2 high energy 2nd sets and even the 1st disc has some good versions of 1st set songs. I even know a few people who tend not to venture too far out from the Pigpen years who like it.