The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

You are correct, no Dark Stars in the May '77 box.

Sorry, this is what happens when posting by phone and on the run. I meant yes, or no on should I buy it since it doesn't fall under my unscientific theory about Dark Star?

Investigate whether or not you enjoy "The Other One." If you do then you may not need "Dark Star." Really, I know this sounds scandalous or absurd, but it's quite possible. This works for years '69 thru '74 to some extent, although some nights you got both or you might not get either one. Some nights there was a Truckin> and other stuff instead of Dark Star or The Other One. For some it's not about any of these songs but whether they get (Morning) Dew'd. Not to mention the massive Playing In The Bands you'd get from '72-'74 which might have been the greatest thing they ever did, were it not for the beauty of "Bird Song" (fall '72 on) or the purdy (full) "Weather Report Suites" in '73-'74. I'm leaving stuff out too (Pigpen favs, Help>Slip>Frank, and so on) to keep this semi-brief.

Think of '77 (or at least May) as sunnier and not necessitating Dark Stars, though I reckon they would have been nice had they tried. And while I'm certainly a Dark Star admirer (to put it mildly), it was not a requirement for a great show. :rlol

@ Quincy: What you're saying falls under the other part of my unscientific theory. Certain years, tours and Pigpen. I know they rarely played Dark Star after 1974...which explains how little I have after that.

@ mjzee - No marshmallows and inhibited their creative flow for me. As in, you basically posted me out of buying it. ;)

Edited by Blue Train

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

My latest is DP 31

8/74

Great playing from all especially Lesh. Yes Bill is a groove master

Vocal suffer especially Bob - WRS is very weak

I was at the Jersey City concert. I remember being so surprised to see a clean-shaven Jerry, and I remember Seastones playing over the Wall of Sound during intermission. That was the last time I saw the Dead.

My latest is DP 31

8/74

Great playing from all especially Lesh. Yes Bill is a groove master

Vocal suffer especially Bob - WRS is very weak

I was at the Jersey City concert. I remember being so surprised to see a clean-shaven Jerry, and I remember Seastones playing over the Wall of Sound during intermission. That was the last time I saw the Dead.

8-6-74 is truly a great show. I'm glad I have a excellent sounding copy of it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...