The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

I've heard a lot of the shows from all the years. . . I just don't dig Midland or Hornsby or any of the musicians after Keith and Donna, and I just don't really enjoy the 'eighties material, etc. There's so much 'sixties and 'seventies to listen to one can easily just swim in those decades when you want a Dead or Jerry fix.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Me too. . . but I'm hungry for anything from the first three years or so. . . they probably have some stuff they can whip out. . . there's probably not much demand for the earliest stuff though, but I find that stuff fascinating.

:tup

If they released a big box of surviving recordings from 65-67, I'd be all over it, despite a lot of that stuff having circulated over the years. But I can't really get excited about this new set when I'm not that interested in about half of it, especially at the price they're asking for it.

post-83-0-01108300-1433541198_thumb.jpgHa!

Me too. . . but I'm hungry for anything from the first three years or so. . . they probably have some stuff they can whip out. . . there's probably not much demand for the earliest stuff though, but I find that stuff fascinating.

:tup

If they released a big box of surviving recordings from 65-67, I'd be all over it, despite a lot of that stuff having circulated over the years. But I can't really get excited about this new set when I'm not that interested in about half of it, especially at the price they're asking for it.

I'd be all over it too, that stuff is fascinating. I'm with you in that I'm only interested in about half the new set, although I think the price is fair. More than twice what I would pay for what I'm interested in. Perhaps they'll release individual shows.

Edited by jazzbo

• 4 weeks later...

Watching tonight's Soldier Field show on YouTube PPV.  Intermission right now.

I caught the tail end of tonight's show via an unofficial audio stream, and have seen a fair chunk of the Santa Clara shows via the various YouTube bits that have been posted. Gotta admit that I've found myself more interested in these shows than I thought I would be - I had fairly low expectations, but was intrigued by the idea of the "Treyful Dead" more than I ever was by any of the other post-Jerry attempts to resuscitate the band.

From what I've seen, they've acquitted themselves as well as could have reasonably been expected, and one is definitely conscious of all the history that has gone before, knowing that this is likely the last time we'll ever see these guys onstage together playing these songs. 

I caught the tail end of tonight's show via an unofficial audio stream, and have seen a fair chunk of the Santa Clara shows via the various YouTube bits that have been posted. Gotta admit that I've found myself more interested in these shows than I thought I would be - I had fairly low expectations, but was intrigued by the idea of the "Treyful Dead" more than I ever was by any of the other post-Jerry attempts to resuscitate the band.

From what I've seen, they've acquitted themselves as well as could have reasonably been expected, and one is definitely conscious of all the history that has gone before, knowing that this is likely the last time we'll ever see these guys onstage together playing these songs. 

It's really not any of that.  That history and nostalgia might bring you to the shows, but the show tonight was just plain enjoyable.  Trey was good; there was not enough of Hornsby's piano (there were problems with the mix).  Bob's voice was pretty good tonight (considering), and Phil's was a little better.  I also liked that they didn't play to nostalgia with their "greatest hits"; instead, we got a lot from Blues For Allah and out-of-left-field choices like Mason's Children.  And I loved that the encore was Ripple (rather than, as has been trumpeted, Brokedown Palace - because of the tie-in with the "Fare Thee Well" theme).  I was bopping in front of my computer.  Hey, $30 - how can you go wrong?

It's really not any of that.  That history and nostalgia might bring you to the shows, but the show tonight was just plain enjoyable.  Trey was good; there was not enough of Hornsby's piano (there were problems with the mix).  Bob's voice was pretty good tonight (considering), and Phil's was a little better.  I also liked that they didn't play to nostalgia with their "greatest hits"; instead, we got a lot from Blues For Allah and out-of-left-field choices like Mason's Children.  And I loved that the encore was Ripple (rather than, as has been trumpeted, Brokedown Palace - because of the tie-in with the "Fare Thee Well" theme).  I was bopping in front of my computer.  Hey, $30 - how can you go wrong?

I've never understood the antipathy that many Deadheads have toward Phish. I can't claim a lot of familiarity with Phish's music, but from what I've seen/heard of Trey during these shows, he's been very good. I've only heard Help>Slip>Frank and Ripple from last night's show, and he was particularly impressive during Franklin's Tower. 

Just saw the setlist, and there's definitely a lot to like there. I bet they'll close Sunday's show with Brokedown Palace.

Trey's is really a thankless task.  If this was an organic band with a future, he might turn these songs in interesting directions.  Instead, he must simply make the familiar interesting and lively.  You can sense he loves the music and doesn't take his task lightly.  The spotlight is also on him for long stretches of time.  Bob has kinda receded into the background; it seems more like Phil's band now.

the best and most nutz set so far was santa clara night one set 2, i did they pay per view method, i payed for a ticket and viewed it from the 40 yd line 

Cryptical Envelopment ->

Dark Star ->

St. Stephen ->

The Eleven ->

Turn On Your Love Light ->

Drums/Space ->

What's Become Of The Baby ->

The Other One - >

Morning Dew

I've heard a lot of the shows from all the years. . . I just don't dig Midland or Hornsby or any of the musicians after Keith and Donna, and I just don't really enjoy the 'eighties material, etc. There's so much 'sixties and 'seventies to listen to one can easily just swim in those decades when you want a Dead or Jerry fix.

That is close to my feelings as well, except that I don't really need the 60s either.   Just the 70s is enough for me.   Certainly, they played a lot of good music after the 70s.  But the 70s were still the 70s.   That is what I reach for when I want to hear Garcia and the Dead.

lon dawg not only would u of loved the setlist (see above) but you would of loved the pre-concert field trip i planned out.  fri nite we took a short drive up to hayward, to visit frenchy's: the site of the 1st gig w/ Phil, exactly 50 yrs & 1wk prior to our visit.  as you very well know most or many of the placed they played thru the years no longer exist, but frenchys believe it or not is still a very active nightclub (club pariso), when we showed up it was poppin.  its a mexican club now, not mariachi music but that traditional style mexican dance music with horns and stuff, (ranchero? there were drumsets sitting outside for the next act waiting to go in, lots of people, they wouldnt let us in (dress code) but we were there.  

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just purchased Dick's Picks Vol. 3 from Pembroke Pines from 1977. It sounds like a great set! Instead of having to sort through this massive thread for some sort of consensus, I ask you guys what other recordings from this time period looking at '77 in particular, I should also consider? I was thinking of Vol. 34 which contains performances mostly from Rochester supplemented with a show from Toronto, I believe? Thanks.

I just purchased Dick's Picks Vol. 3 from Pembroke Pines from 1977. It sounds like a great set! Instead of having to sort through this massive thread for some sort of consensus, I ask you guys what other recordings from this time period looking at '77 in particular, I should also consider? I was thinking of Vol. 34 which contains performances mostly from Rochester supplemented with a show from Toronto, I believe? Thanks.

I guess the most "famous" gig from that tour was Barton Hall (5/8/77), which hasn't been officially released, but is easily downloadable from archive.org.  You might consider "To Terrapin: Hartford '77" (5/28/77), "Dave's Picks Vol. 12" (11/4/77), "Dick's Picks Vol. 10" (12/29/77 & 12/30/77), and the aforementioned DP Vol. 34 (11/5/77).  If you get DP 34 and Dave's Picks 12, between the two you also get an almost-complete 11/2/77 show (just missing 2 songs).  One massive release I wasn't too impressed with was the box set of 5 May '77 shows; I found it kinda slow and sluggish, though it has its moments.