Outstanding Alternate Takes

Do you have a favorite alternate take? A take that either contrasts sharply with the more familiar first issued take, or even surpasses it?

For example: I Surrender Dear by the Chocolate Dandies, recorded for Commodore in 1940. Coleman Hawkins, Roy Eldridge, and Benny Carter in the front line. An alternate take was issued in the 1970s on Atlantic Records that is to my ears, by virtue of its extraordinary Roy Eldridge solo, superior to the originally issued take. Still a third take of the same tune from the same session is also floating around, but, because Hawk gets lost in the middle of his solo, it is distinctly inferior to the other two takes.

Sonny Rollins' alternates from both the Contemporary & the RCA sessions. WHOA!

One wonders what all's been going down in the studio during the Milestone years that for wahtever reason has been judged not album-worthy. I harbor fantasies/illusions/whatever of Sonny & crew just going all out and Sonny deciding that it's too whatever to release.

Call it a dream, but hey - it's my dream and I'm gonna keep dreaming it! :g

Bird's alternate of "Parker's Mood." Cruel beauty.

Yeah, pretty much all of Bird's alternates would apply here.

And Prez on the alternate of "Shoe Shine Boy" would too. The differences between the two takes makes the stories of him in K.C. jamming endlessly on one tune w/o repeating himself totally believable and cause more than a little "wish I had a time machine" envy.

Sonny Rollins' alternates from both the Contemporary & the RCA sessions. WHOA!

I have the Contemporary alternates....breathtaking!!!

Can you give me any info on the RCA alternate takes. CD? Vinyl? Seperate issue of alternates or included in CD with album material? I have a few of his RCA LP's, but nothing with alternate takes.

Thanks

I have this on a 1992 Bluebird CD called "Alternatives" - four tunes in dual takes (Four; St. Thomas; I Remember Clifford; 52nd Street Theme) plus Bluesongo and Jungoso.

The alternative takes first came out in the early 1980s on a French 2-LP set. This CD puts the master takes together with the alternatives. Other than the Complete RCA boxed set of Rollins, I don't know how this material has been subsequently issued.

Mike

Bird's alternate of "Parker's Mood." Cruel beauty.

Yeah, pretty much all of Bird's alternates would apply here.

Yes, but a particular favorite of mine is the "Embraceable You" Dial alternate. I actually prefer it to the master.

Rollins Contemporary Alternates: :party::tup YOUWZA!!!!!

Lester Young's first session in 1936 with the Jones-Smith Incorporated unit.

The original take of the first number played that day 'Shoe Shine Swing' is a masterpiece. The alternate take is also a masterpiece.

Lester Young plays variations on his solo from the first take for the alternate. Another masterpiece!

And Prez on the alternate of "Shoe Shine Boy" would too. The differences between the two takes makes the stories of him in K.C. jamming endlessly on one tune w/o repeating himself totally believable and cause more than a little "wish I had a time machine" envy.

What's a good cd source for the alternate?

I'm amazed nobody has mentioned either Sam Rivers "Downstairs Blues Upstairs" included in the Mosaic box, or Bud Powell's "Un Poco Loco" from the Blue Note sides. These are both absolutely essential recorded documents of incredible bands working their way through interesting/difficult material.

What's a good cd source for the alternate?

Wish I could tell you. I'm still doing the SUPER CHIEF LP thing from the previous century. ;)

And my bad - it's "Shoe Shine Swing", not "Shoe Shine Boy".

On the off-chance that the Apple music store might have the alternate take from some Columbia collection (OK so I'm a dreamer) I searched for "Shoe Shine Boy". Numerous versions of Chatanoogie Shoe Shine Boy, Goodman, Armstrong and Basie's KC Seven (Impulse) doing Shoe Shine Boy and what I presume is the master take (they're all 2:58 long) from 3 different cds and-- get this-- "Lester Young's Solos On Shoe Shine Boy (Takes 1 & 2)" by The Richard Tabnik Trio. I bought it. It's pretty good. Not much information. Anyone ever heard of Richard Tabnik?

Edited by medjuck

I love the alternate take of Billie Holiday's "No More" that appears on her COMPLETE DECCA RECORDINGS. The audio quality is bad, as it was taken from a re-processed, multi-generational Japanese tape source, but the take is slightly slower and even moodier than the master. It has an almost-sinister spookiness about it--going to use it for my Holiday program on July 17.