ebay craziness redux - the return

okay, here we go again.

this is something i will never understand. i noticed that the self titled cd by george duke (released by elektra in 1986) usually fetches a decent price on ebay (recently in the $60 to $70 range). i was lucky enough to find a used copy recently, and put it up for auction. it garnered 1 bid for the opening price of $9.99. needless to say i was midly dissappointed (i could use that money to buy some real jazz), that is until i saw the exact same item go for over $120 on may 8th (just a little over a week since my auction ended). then i was majorly dissappointed.

the big question is - where were all those people when my cd was sitting there for the taking? i have a very high positive feedback rating, but except for a few items i am usually in the bottom third on final selling price. i will never understand it. illegal bids can explain some of it, but not all of it.

Edited by kulu se mama

Guest Chaney

While I'm in no way an expert on all things George Duke, I just had a look at those past auctions.

It seems that, while there were many bids for that particular CD, there were really very few bidders. Once those nut jobs won, the pool of possible bidders was then greatly reduced.

Lots of bids but few bidders is my guess. A 'one-off'... repeated a few times.

thanks for the reply.

that would explain an ever decreasing price for the item, but it does not explain a wild swing from $60 to $10 and then back up to $120.

the only thing i might be able to surmise is that i posted it in jazz only. a couple of the others were posted in jazz and r and b.

Maybe because yours (at least I think it was yours) didn't have a photo? It shouldn't matter in this case, but who knows.

Personally, I think the crazy part of this thread is that anyone would pay so much for a friggin' George Duke album! :wacko:

It's just your bad luck! ;) Seriously, I have had that kind of bad luck with the soundtrack to the film Major League. I would see it garner 50-60 bucks, and I found it used twice at different Wherehouse music stores, and each time was counting on getting fistfuls of dollars, and got 9.99 and 15 for it instead. :angry: I do feel that even though I hate reserves, it might be worth it for cds that can be worth some bread. Also, if you ever find something that should bring in big bucks, check the completed auctions to see what categories folks used to get the big bucks(Obviously, Duke should go in jazz, but perhaps someone just used-cds "other") and check out their counters also if they had them. If only 10-12 people checked out an auction during a 7 day run, there may not be that many fans, and better to use the reserve thing....just checked completed auctions, you weren't kidding you do have good(and lots of) feedback! Didn't mean to talk to you like someone with a feedback of 20!

I think RDK might be right about not having photos, you can always, ummm, borrow photos if allmusic or Amazon has a shot of the cover if you don't have a scanner. I also noticed the guy who got $ 127 put the cd in two categories R&B as well, and got 117 views, and someone else who got 34.99 with buy it now only had around 40 hits in 6 days......interesting...too bad you didn't get more!:(

Anyone interested in Buying the Stitt Mosaic set for the buy-it-now price of $200? Oh, and shipping will set you back an additional $15.

:rolleyes:

MOSAIC Roost Studio SONNY STITT 9CD NEW BOX

This guy is selling lots of nice stuff.

I'll say...why would he have a buy it now for $ 12 less than the Bix/Tram/Teagarden set sells for at Mosaic??? He says the cds are still new...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=2530435828