AAJ's "Upcoming Releases" Center is Now Live

Jim, Thanks for allowing me to post this…

To check out jazz CDs, DVDs, and SACDs scheduled for release throughout the year, go to http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/album_center.php (or select "Upcoming Releases" under the "CENTERS" dropdown on the AAJ navigation bar)

You can search for titles by month, by artist name or by record label. You can also filter them by "new" or "reissue". If you're a jazz musician and don't see your title listed, you can add it here: http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/album_submit.php .

We'll be adding new titles every day.

Best,

Mike R.

All About Jazz

http://www.allaboutjazz.com

Edited by xricci

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would anyone want to deal with this website when Alan Lankin has a perfectly good (no, perfectly excellent) upcoming and recent release page himself? On top of which, Alan is a good guy, doesn't pretend his site is the be-all and end-all of jazz, and has never been known to call members "twits" or make ad hominem attacks.

Why give attention to this website when any mention of this site other than its designated technical update thread is met with the censor's sword?

Why take attention away from Alan's site?

OK, we all know I have issues with Ricci. But even if I didn't, given how he has treated Organissimo in the past, I can't imagine why Jim should happily allow this SPAM.

The plan for AAJ is to develop a comprehensive system that serves jazz musicians, the jazz industry and the site contributors. There is a plan, it was developed many years ago, and thanks to help, I’m finally in a position to implement these systems. I have very high hopes for the regional calendar of events (which will enable musicians to promote their gigs to readers within a zip code radius) and the my.allaboutjazz.com system.

Alan Lankin is a helluva good guy (he’s also local, so I’ve met him in person a few times). I approached him about collaborating on the system, but it unfortunately didn’t work out.

You don’t have to choose one over the other, as I’m sure Alan will have listings that you won’t find at AAJ and vice versa.

There is a thread at the AAJ bulletin board for Organissimo posters to stay up on the status of the Org server. Jim also has an open invitation to create and close Org status threads at AAJ.

We’re working together.

Mike

Edited by xricci

The online jazz community is a small one. I see no reason not to support one another, AAJ and Jazzmatazz included.

The word from the wise!

Nobody's forcing anyone to have a look at what's going on around us.

The more jazz information becomes available, the better we should all be ^_^

And with the number of problems that have been plaguing this board lately, the AAJ is a nice place to hang on while waiting for the doors to this place to reopen.

Michael Ricci has to be thanked for providing a thread for us at his forum!

I have nothing but good vibes about Mike and AAJ. He's been kind enough to exhibit some of my photographic exhibits and has worked with me on some other issues. There are many things on the AAJ site you can't find here that I find of interest. I go back and fourth between the forums and post a little more here as I have a longer history with many of the members, many of them I consider friends (including Dan ;)) . I originally joined both sites to learn more about jazz and to contribute where I can, so I think working together a little is a good thing for all; just my 2 cents worth!

Mark

Edited by sheldonm

I have nothing but good vibes about Mike and AAJ. He's been kind enough to exhibit some of my photographic exhibits and has worked with me on some other issues. There are many things on the AAJ site you can't find here that I find of interest. I go back and fourth between the forums and post a little more here as I have a longer history with many of the members, many of them I consider friends (including Dan ;)) . I originally joined both sites to learn more about jazz and to contribute where I can, so I think working together a little is a good thing for all; just my 2 cents worth!

Mark

Couldn't agree more, Mark! (With the exception that Mike has never once offered me an on-line showcase for my 3-D macaroni sculptures of jazz greats... :g )

Mark

Wise words. I agree completely.

Hey is this a good place to say that I don't like the guidelines they have for cd reviews? :g

Nah, I don't think so!

We SHOULD foster a rapport between the two sites I feel. Glad to see that there is talking going on between the administrators.

I have nothing but good vibes about Mike and AAJ.  He's been kind enough to exhibit some of my photographic exhibits and has worked with me on some other issues.  There are many things on the AAJ site you can't find here that I find of interest.  I go back and fourth between the forums and post a little more here as I have a longer history with many of the members, many of them I consider friends (including Dan ;)) .  I originally joined both sites to learn more about jazz and to contribute where I can, so I think working together a little is a good thing for all; just my 2 cents worth!

Mark

Couldn't agree more, Mark! (With the exception that Mike has never once offered me an on-line showcase for my 3-D macaroni sculptures of jazz greats... :g )

Man, I'd like to see those. When I get my site up and running, I'll show them on there. I'm not sure I can close the scanner cover though! ;)

Guest Chaney

The online jazz community is a small one.  I see no reason not to support one another, AAJ and Jazzmatazz included.

Agreed.

Here's an idea: How about a somewhat prominent link to this board from AAJ and, if Jim is agreeable, a link from here to there? :huh:

shake-hands.jpg

As they say in the hip hop world.... "Y'all need to squash this shit." This little shitting on other peoples' sites is really childish, especially when neither Mike nor Jim have a problem with posting about their sites on each others'. If Mike called you a twit, 1) you need to get thicker skin; 2) you need to take it up with him in e-mail, but not take it out on his site, which he works really hard on.

I agree that Alan has set up an excellent reference site for upcoming releases, etc, but who cares if Mike wants to try to do his own? As he says, maybe we'll find out about some new stuff there that Alan just doesn't have the time/interest to follow. Sounds good to me.

Here's wishing Mike well on his new feature. But I hope nobody takes it the wrong way when I say that I'm a "grass roots" kind of guy, as well as one who "stays with the one who brung me" unless/until I have compelling reason to go elsewhere, so I'll be making Alan's site my "first choice". But since there's room for everybody, there's no reason not to make Mike's my second, if need be.

Alan's been busting his chops for years to do what he does, and I appreciate both the effort and the service. It's a "mom and pop" type effort, and I'm all about the "mom and pop" stuff, even if it's out of synch with today's business reality.

Hey - I'm a jazz musician. I've been out of synch with today's business reality longer than I can remember! :g:g:g

Here's wishing Mike well on his new feature. But I hope nobody takes it the wrong way when I say that I'm a "grass roots" kind of guy, as well as one who "stays with the one who brung me" unless/until I have compelling reason to go elsewhere, so I'll be making Alan's site my "first choice". But since there's room for everybody, there's no reason not to make Mike's my second, if need be.

Alan's been busting his chops for years to do what he does, and I appreciate both the effort and the service. It's a "mom and pop" type effort, and I'm all about the "mom and pop" stuff, even if it's out of synch with today's business reality.

Hey - I'm a jazz musician. I've been out of synch with today's business reality longer than I can remember! :g:g:g

Yes, and how exactly would you interpret this statement:

Alan Lankin is a helluva good guy (he’s also local, so I’ve met him in person a few times). I approached him about collaborating on the system, but it unfortunately didn’t work out.

I think its clear:

Ricci came to Alan and said, "hook up with AAJ or we're going to do your same thing only bigger and better, and you'll have nothing left."

Alan said kiss off.

And, "unfortunately, it didn't work out."

I would much sooner help Alan clothe and feed his kids than support a website that won't even allow the mention of other jazz discussion boards.

And that's what this boils down to, people:

On one site, you can only mention this board in regards to one, special area: the technical status of the server.

Yet, on this site, that other site gets to promote itself all over the place.

WHAT is wrong with this picture?????

I think you know how I interpret it. ;)

On a completely unrelated note, check out this really neat painting I found online:

Sam-Walton.jpg

Cool, eh?

Edited by JSngry

But I hope nobody takes it the wrong way when I say that I'm a "grass roots" kind of guy

Jim,

What do you think AAJ is? It wasn't until the last couple of years that someone (Nils Jacobson) volunteered to step up and help. In the last year I've also received help from my friend Mike Lorenz and John Kelman.

It's done on a shoestring and I produce it from my home. Believe me, it aint glamorous behind the scenes—you can ask Shawn.

That said, I do know a thing or two about databases, programming, web design, publishing, the needs of the industry, etc., that why AAJ’s look will also be a bit more refined.

Mike

I think you know how I interpret it. ;)

On a completely unrelated note, check out this really neat painting I found online:

Sam-Walton.jpg

Cool, eh?

You bastard! :ph34r:

That said, I do know a thing or two about databases, programming, web design, publishing, the needs of the industry, etc., that why AAJ’s look will also be a bit more refined.

Mike

Some say modesty is a virtue.

Whoever said that, must not have had guns like THEEEESE!!!!

bicepcc.jpg

Edited by catesta