AAJ's "Upcoming Releases" Center is Now Live

Some say modesty is a virtue.

Give me a break, Hans.

I've worked on AAJ 10-14 hours a day for the last eight years. Database design, programming, web design, publishing, needs assessments, requirements planning... that's my job.

I haven't got a problem with that, but saying that "AAJ’s look will also be a bit more refined" is quite a statement. More refined than what?

Edited by J.A.W.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just noticing this thread. Really glad to see both administrators cooperating. I don't post often at AAJ but I do appreciate that Mike lets the Big O group whine over there when this site crashes. I honestly don't understand this need to put the knock on Mike. It's so high school.

But I hope nobody takes it the wrong way when I say that I'm a "grass roots" kind of guy

Jim,

What do you think AAJ is? It wasn't until the last couple of years that someone (Nils Jacobson) volunteered to step up and help. In the last year I've also received help from my friend Mike Lorenz and John Kelman.

It's done on a shoestring and I produce it from my home. Believe me, it aint glamorous behind the scenes—you can ask Shawn.

That said, I do know a thing or two about databases, programming, web design, publishing, the needs of the industry, etc., that why AAJ’s look will also be a bit more refined.

Mike

Fair enough, and again, no insult intended, honestly. A gentle, good-natured, tweak, yes, but nothing more. I'm a kidder, not a fighter.

It's just that Alan has been doing his thing for so long, and has been a "member in good standing" on this and other boards for so long that he's come to be "family" for some of us, and as such, I don't see any need to automatically abandon my support of his efforts. That in no way means that I wish any competition harm, resent an attempt to compete, or any thing like that. That's unrealistic, and a bit silly, really.

It simply means that "my guy" is still going to be "my guy". I'm sure that you can understand that, and I'm sure that you've got people who feel the same way about you and your efforts. I'd be surprised if you didn't - you work hard at doing what you do, and have been doing it for some time. Anybody who has stuck with you for a while and didn't feel a sense of loyalty as a result would have to be some kind of a weasel in my book!

Hey - it's all about growing the audience, right? Lord knows I'm all in favor of that. I sincerely hope that your thing does good, and that Alan's thing stays healthy and viable as well. That would mean that the audience for the music is a large and diverse one, and I don't think that anybody wouldn't wish for that!

Edited by JSngry

I agree completely with Rainy. I admit that I do most of my "chatting" here, but I check out AAJ several times a week and the site offers many other things besides a forum. This bickering (notably, not between Jim and Mike) is petty...

Jim,

Thanks for the follow up. I hear what you're saying, but I never asked anyone to choose between the two. B3-er gave me the go-ahead to plug the new system and I did.

I tried maintaining a "Coming Soon" page twice (many years ago) and gave up both times --it's very time-consuming. Alan has done a consistently solid job, that's for sure.

The AAJ upcoming releases center is managed by two gents (Charlie Dahan and John Kelman) and is database driven. Charlie handles reissues and John handles the new stuff. I developed the system myself and I think it's worth checking out.

It's certainly worth the two seconds it takes to list your CD (if you have a new one).

Mike

3,884 more posts and I'm "Da Fonz"!!

Edited by xricci

Jim,

Thanks for the follow up. I hear what you're saying, but I never asked anyone to choose between the two. B3-er gave me the go-ahead to plug the new system and I did.

....3,884 more posts and I'm "Da Fonz"!!

You're welcome, and fully understood.

Oh, btw - watch out for that Mrs. C - she's bad news, if you know what I mean.

I mean, how else do you explain Howard going into the priesthood and changing his name from Cunningham to Dowling? :g

More refined than a static HTML site. If you need more info, feel free to PM me.

xricci:

Is there a way to make the New Posts link (at AAJ) work in a more intelligent manner? I'm just wondering...

I'm thinking the way New Posts link functions is an odd limitation of the vBulletin software? But, I could be wrong. Maybe 'I' am the problem and don't understand what the New Posts link is supposed to do.

wesbed,

i have no problem talking about the aaj site on this board, but i'm not comfy talking about the aaj:bb.

Understood.

I apologize. I'm thinking I shouldn't have posed my question here.

Can I take it back? :mellow:

Edited by wesbed

Can I take it back?

too late! you get 200 posts deducted from your postcount...

Yeah, but I've got my Preferred Customer points over at Mosaic Records. Being that I caused a couple of sales of the Kenton Presents box this week. :rolleyes::P

I mean, how else do you explain Howard going into the priesthood and changing his name from Cunningham to Dowling? :g

I always thought that had somehting to do with the scandal at the leopard lounge.

I know Howard wanted that Grand Poobah (sp?) gig real bad, and killed a dude when he didn't get it.

3,884 more posts and I'm "Da Fonz"!!

I'd say Mr. Ricci is reading threads a bit too much. ;)

Yeah, we're like that here - clique-ish but addictively intriguing.

Kinda like junkies who always have money and a solid connection.... :g:g:g:g:g

That's a bad combination, one might even say it's SUPER BAD. :D B)

I mean, how else do you explain Howard going into the priesthood and changing his name from Cunningham to Dowling?  :g

I always thought that had somehting to do with the scandal at the leopard lounge.

I know Howard wanted that Grand Poobah (sp?) gig real bad, and killed a dude when he didn't get it.

I heard that Howard offed his oldest kid just so that Richie could get all the play. Oh, the stories I could tell! Let's just say that the Ramseys ain't shit compared to the Cunninghams!

Rumor also has it that Arnold was the trigger man on the Chuck job, and that Mr. C offed him and set up Big Al when Arnold threatened to squeal. But you know how people gossip.

I mean, how else do you explain Howard going into the priesthood and changing his name from Cunningham to Dowling?  :g

I heard that Howard offed his oldest kid just so that Richie could get all the play. Oh, the stories I could tell! Let's just say that the Ramseys ain't shit compared to the Cunninghams!

Rumor also has it that Arnold was the trigger man on the Chuck job, and that Mr. C offed him and set up Big Al when Arnold threatened to squeal. But you know how people gossip.

I buy it.

Can you blame him?

Chuck was not the kind of person to watch the hardware store on a Saturday while his dad was having his tonsils removed. I don't know if you remember this, but Richie had tickets to the "rock and roll" show, tickets he got from Fonzie, and you know the hell he went though to get them. To top it off, Richie busted the front window while trying to get out after Potsie locked them inside. He waited for the glass man to show up (a glass man that was at the very "rock and roll" show Richie was to be at), and missed the damn show. When it was all said and done, his dad owed him big time.

It was obvious Richie wanted Chuck out of the picture. And guess what, dad took care of it.

On the Arnold thing, the story I always heard was that Mr. C lost a shit load of cash on that chicken stand deal with Arnold so his (Arnold's) fate was sealed. Arnold did indeed pull the trigger on Chuck, the poor bastard thought he was fixing things between him and Howard. In the end that trust cost him his life.

It's a sad story, somebody should write a book, or make a TV show or something.

Edited by catesta

Not at all.

You DO know that Chuck's father was really Bob Buhl :angry: don't you? Mrs. C was a Baseball Annie like you wouldn't believe, and Braves' home stands were about the only time that Buhl's (lifetime batting average .089) bat made contact, if you get my drift.

Given the nature of Chuck's paternity, and the true vileness of his biological father, family tension was inevitable. Given Howard's childhood background as a numbers runner in Cicero, Illinois, the odds for a genteel resolution were not favorable.

Edited by JSngry