AAJ's "Upcoming Releases" Center is Now Live

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we just made a few improvements to aaj's upcoming release center. see http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/news.php?id=10569 for the details.

if you have any suggestions on how to further improve it, please post your comments here...

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/submit_suggestion.php

thanks, and enjoy,

mike r.

p.s. john kelman updates the listing twice monthly. he just added 230+ titles this morning.

I have a link to Jazzmatazz on the Night Lights website and a general link to AAJ... but if Alan discontinues Jazzmatazz, I will add a specific link to the AAJ new releases page. Jazz fans on the Net have really come to rely on that sort of information, and I think it's important that it continues... so thanks, Mike, for the AAJ service. I do hope that Alan keeps Jazzmatazz going.

The relationship between AAJ and Organissimo remidns me of the description of the relationship between England and America: two countries separated by a common language :P

:lol:

I am a newcomer to both boards, having started only in the past year on both. I don't understand the big differences or issues. Both boards seem to be full of very knowledgable, cordial jazz lovers. I find both boards to be very pleasant experiences, and I have learned a lot from each board.

This is all in marked contrast to negative experiences with that other board, which shall remain nameless.

What am I missing--why should I feel tension and a certain degree of contentiousness as I go from Organissimo to AAJ and back again?

The relationship between AAJ and Organissimo remidns me of the description of the relationship between England and America: two countries separated by a common language :P

I am a newcomer to both boards, having started only in the past year on both. I don't understand the big differences or issues. Both boards seem to be full of very knowledgable, cordial jazz lovers. I find both boards to be very pleasant experiences, and I have learned a lot from each board.

This is all in marked contrast to negative experiences with that other board, which shall remain nameless.

What am I missing--why should I feel tension and a certain degree of contentiousness as I go from Organissimo to AAJ and back again?

The tension started way back when the Blue Note BB was shut down. It left a large group of jazz fans adrift, with many people finding themselves at AAJ. They had a sleepy and quite insular bulletin board which saw its membership probably quadruple with the BN refugees. We weren't the nicest of visitors, as we tended to jump in and try to turn that board into a new Blue Note board. Fortunately, Jim established this board as an alternative and in the meantime, Mr. Ricci had managed to alienate at least a few of his new members. His is a business concern and he feels the need to stifle debate and commentary when it is contrary to his business interests. Jim does not do that.

In the interests of full disclosure, I got myself banned from AAJ with some well-chosen words but before that had happened, it had become obvious to me that the Org is a much better place. AAJ attracts a lot of newbies and quite frankly it seemed as if few threads ever really got started there and led to any interesting or lengthy discussion. Threads could be started at AAJ and they'd die out quickly, while similar threads at the Org would result in stimulating discussion. (Having done the jazz discussion board thing for a long time, "what's your favorite ..." threads lost their charm a long time ago, and that seems to be what AAJ specializes in.)

Edited by Dan Gould

Me too, Hot Ptah. Neither of us should feel tension as we slip from her to there and back again. And I don't. But there are some threads on AAJ in which Mike bans people from mentioning Organissimo, or putting links here. He's sensitive because he's in AAJ for the money; that's how he earns his crust. OK, I can understand that. And it doesn't make any difference to me. I go where I want, read what I want, say what I want. And I feel good about it; here and there.

MG

It is interesting to read about the history of the Blue Note board, which I never visited, and the development of AAJ and Organissimo.

Being new to the situation, here is my viewpoint, for whatever it is worth. I just do not see it, the idea that AAJ has few discussions and that AAJ's discussions are simplistic and dull. Having read AAJ, Organissimo and that other board which will remain nameless, for over a year now, I see no difference in the quality of the discussions about jazz.

There is a big difference in style of communication at the other board whose name must not be mentioned.

Just for the fun of it, I have compared many discussions on Organissimo and AAJ in the past year, when the identical thread was posted on each board. There is no way to generalize between the two boards. Sometimes the Organissimo thread dies out after a few short posts while the AAJ thread goes on for hundreds of posts. Sometimes the situation is reversed.

I think that what is different about Organissimo is that some famous jazz journalists, label owners and producers post here regularly, and they post either never or seldom at AAJ. I find their contributions to Organissimo to be very interesting.

AAJ has some quite lively and sophisticated threads, in quite a bit of depth, these days. I think it is a bum rap to view AAJ as a less evolved site, or however one wants to characterize it. I have not seen a lot of "what is your favorite" type of thread on AAJ.

I have no ties to the AAJ people. I don't think that Mr. Ricci knows my name. But this is just how I see it, in my humble opinion only.

It is interesting to read about the history of the Blue Note board, which I never visited, and the development of AAJ and Organissimo.

Being new to the situation, here is my viewpoint, for whatever it is worth. I just do not see it, the idea that AAJ has few discussions and that AAJ's discussions are simplistic and dull. Having read AAJ, Organissimo and that other board which will remain nameless, for over a year now, I see no difference in the quality of the discussions about jazz.

There is a big difference in style of communication at the other board whose name must not be mentioned.

Just for the fun of it, I have compared many discussions on Organissimo and AAJ in the past year, when the identical thread was posted on each board. There is no way to generalize between the two boards. Sometimes the Organissimo thread dies out after a few short posts while the AAJ thread goes on for hundreds of posts. Sometimes the situation is reversed.

I think that what is different about Organissimo is that some famous jazz journalists, label owners and producers post here regularly, and they post either never or seldom at AAJ. I find their contributions to Organissimo to be very interesting.

AAJ has some quite lively and sophisticated threads, in quite a bit of depth, these days. I think it is a bum rap to view AAJ as a less evolved site, or however one wants to characterize it. I have not seen a lot of "what is your favorite" type of thread on AAJ.

I have no ties to the AAJ people. I don't think that Mr. Ricci knows my name. But this is just how I see it, in my humble opinion only.

Well, I was describing AAJ as I saw it. I haven't looked at that board in a very long time.

OK OK! How come Hot Ptah joined after me and has a lower membership number?

:bwallace:

MG

MG, I'll trade you membership numbers in exchange for a Brother Jack McDuff CD of your choice.

I have a spare McDuff if you're interested.

Doubt if Jim can reorganise numbers. I expect you've got the number of someone who's been booted off for being a perv or something.

MG

Me too, Hot Ptah. Neither of us should feel tension as we slip from her to there and back again. And I don't. But there are some threads on AAJ in which Mike bans people from mentioning Organissimo, or putting links here. He's sensitive because he's in AAJ for the money; that's how he earns his crust. OK, I can understand that. And it doesn't make any difference to me. I go where I want, read what I want, say what I want. And I feel good about it; here and there.

MG

Jim Alfredson's attitude makes this the most open, free, and friendly jazz forum on the Internet. The jazz community is small enough as it is, and I feel as if jazz fans should support all three of the major sites, as they all have something valuable to offer. But I believe that this forum best embodies the spirit of jazz itself.

I don't feel that there's any need to "rank" the three, but in my daily internet wanderings I consistently find that this is indeed the place to be.

just to clear a few things up. i don’t stifle discussion or ban people for mentioning organissimo or jazz corner at the aaj bulletin board. we also have several moderators that are more active and spend time on the board daily. i spend most of my time developing the new systems (MY AAJ and the calendar being the latest) and publishing articles for the website.

much has transpired since the BNBB exodus and i was the only one privy to all the pms and emails re: the aaj board. a few members on this board continually post false information about me, about the aaj board and about the aaj website. they never had their facts straight.

i also realize that many here haven’t visited the aaj bulletin board or the aaj website in a very long time. the activity on the site has been the highest it’s ever been (and that’s great for jazz and jazz musicians). you can view bulletin board activity by scrolling down the page—it’s as active as ever.

and mg, how can you say i’m in it for the money? aaj has been around 11 years and it barely pays the bills. if i was in it for the money, i would have dropped aaj a long time ago.

i have decided to launch another venture based on the aaj technology and i’m hoping that site ultimately carries aaj.

Edited by xricci

Between AAJ, JC, and here, jazz fans are lucky to have three sites to get a wealth of information from that simply was not available just 10 years ago. It's pretty amazing when you stop and think about it.

I figured out long ago in this role as the owner of a discussion forum that you can't please everyone all the time. I'm sure there are people on AAJ and JC that think I'm an ass. So be it. All three sites have value and Mike has done a lot of work to make AAJ very very musician friendly, providing free services that help musicians get their name, schedule, and music out there to people who otherwise might not know about them. For that he deserves many accolades.

and mg, how can you say i’m in it for the money?

I'm basing it on some of your posts about rules and your recent e-mail (or PM) to me in which you talked about your priorities. If I've misunderstood that this is purely a business venture, then I'm sorry. But I don't mind at all if it's a business venture. Every musician wants to be paid - and QRT. Ditto for you. Ditto for Jim.

I feel happy on both boards, was the burden of my earlier post. There are different types of discussions happening on them; different types of people. Good.

MG

thanks, jim.

i bet most here don't know that PUMPKIN PIE has been downloaded over 2100 times and it's #75 on the all time download list.

we're launching video of the day next--the timing seems right. we're also working on the jazz teacher finder (also free) which connects students with teachers via instrument, experience level and zip code/region. i'm hoping to have that one ready to roll by september.

if you are a musician, check out all the free aaj services here.

aaj is operated by a volunteer group--the core contributors are listed here. the site is open to everyone to contribute and participate.

Edited by xricci

I'm basing it on some of your posts about rules and your recent e-mail (or PM) to me in which you talked about your priorities. If I've misunderstood that this is purely a business venture, then I'm sorry. But I don't mind at all if it's a business venture. Every musician wants to be paid - and QRT. Ditto for you. Ditto for Jim.

aaj needs to be profitable and we're working towards that, but that's not what drives me.

developing a website of aaj's scope and using technologies to innovate is very exciting. i love aaj and i love it's potential, especially now that MY AAJ and the regional calendar are here. i've also met the greatest people (many are now friends) as a result of my association with the site.

aaj needs to be profitable and we're working towards that, but that's not what drives me.

I'm sure most musicians would say essentially the same thing.

MG

I'm sure most musicians would say essentially the same thing.

agreed.

i'm in contact with musicians on a daily basis so i have a good handle on their needs, and the majority of the systems/tools we develop address those needs.

the biggest deficiency to date was a local calendar and we just launched that. i'm working on ticketing events next.

Hey x, if I can be so informal, didn't you threaten to ban me for saying bad things about one of your "customers"? If I'm limited by what I can say at your place I will (and do) minimize my participation. I don't think I should have to look at your ads before posting an opinion on the board.

edit to change the x to lower case.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Hey x, if I can be so informal, didn't you threaten to ban me for saying bad things about one of your "customers"?

chuck, if memory serves, you were rather disrespectful to the musician with your post. and the thread was in the GET THE WORD OUT forum, a place to post announcements, press releases, etc. you were replying to a press release posting. btw, we have over 9700 bb members and we've banned a grand total of nine people. i don't think anyone has been banned since andy/che.

if anyone has any questions about the website (http://www.allaboutjazz.com) and its direction, i'm happy to answer them.

if there are musicians on this board with questions about MY AAJ or the calendar, please post them here or email me. i have developed a MY AAJ FAQ for those interested.

Edited by xricci

Hey x, if I can be so informal, didn't you threaten to ban me for saying bad things about one of your "customers"?

chuck, if memory serves, you were rather disrespectful to the musician with your post. and the thread was in the GET THE WORD OUT forum, a place to post announcements, press releases, etc. you were replying to a press release posting. btw, we have over 9700 bb members and we've banned a grand total of nine people. i don't think anyone has been banned since andy/che.

if anyone has any questions about the website (http://www.allaboutjazz.com) and its direction, i'm happy to answer them.

if there are musicians on this board with questions about MY AAJ or the calendar, please post them here or email me. i have developed a MY AAJ FAQ for those interested.

What I said.

I see AAJ and Organissimo as two great jazz destinations that I visit on a regular basis. While I use the forums on Organissimo more, I tend to use the other services on AAJ a lot as well. Love the interviews as well as the gallery that Mike has put together. As I've mentioned before, I think Mike is a great guy, his site is excellent as well plus the guy has done much for me personally. I also think Jim has built a great community of like minded (for the most part) fans of jazz here at the big "O". I've met a ton of great people on-line and in person from both boards and would basically have very little discussion of the music without these boards. I think we should be thanking both these guys for keeping these sites up and running!!!

Just my 2 cents.......and worth exacty what you paid for it!

Mark~

Edited by sheldonm