Classic Records Inc

1ngram

I've seen a record I'd thought was only available on CD advertised as a set of one side only 45rpm 12" records from Classic Records. Searching the internet I find it was at some time also available as a 33.3 LP. Who are/were these people and are the records still available new?

I've also asked this on another lost but so far no answers.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, what title?

If it's not listed on Classic's site, try the on-line retailers that they provide links to(Acoustic Sounds, Red Trumpet, etc.). They may still have copies of OOP titles. The 45rpm editions go quick.

Titles like Soul Samba, Open Sesame, Roll Call, Back to the Tracks and True Blue are OOP, but still around new if you look.

Edited by wolff

The sound quality improves very much. I have "Kind of Blue", "Blues In Orbit" and Brahms: Concerto No. 1 RCA LSC 1831. Some of the best sound available. Are they worth it? Try a couple and let your ears and pocket book decide. You will also get more excercise. :D

From Classic Records:

Well, a 45 rpm cut sounds better than the 33 rpm primarily because a phono cartridge can more accurately track a 45 rpm groove than a 33 rpm groove. That is, there is less "tracking distortion" at 45 rpm. The groove modulations are exactly the same at either speed but at 45 rpm they are stretched out over a distance 50% longer than on a disk at 33 rpm. The net result of the same modulation over a longer distance is that the groove modulations or "changes" are easier for the cartridge to follow (track). The benefits of the increased tracking ability are most evident when the music is complex or the cut is "hot" - cut at a high level so that the groove modulations are more radical. Low level detail is greatly improved on 45 rpm cuts as well as the solidity of the image and soundstage. High frequency information as well as bass response is improved and the music seems more realistic overall. The tradeoff is that generally, the entire program will not fit onto an LP side at 45 rpm and will at 33 rpm. You must make the trade off between convenience (number of side changes) and replay quality - a familiar problem.

It was "Back to the Tracks" which I would very much like to get on vinyl. I have now seen it on offer in both 33.3 and 45rpm guise. Damn it maybe I should just try to get both. Nice to see that Open Sesame is/was also available on vinyl - must search for this too.

It was "Back to the Tracks" which I would very much like to get on vinyl.  I have now seen it on offer in both 33.3 and 45rpm guise.  Damn it maybe I should just try to get both. Nice to see that Open Sesame is/was also available on vinyl - must search for this too.

45 rpm "Back to the tracks" on eBay (2 days left)

>>> KLICK! <<<

:excited:

Edited by Alfred

I've just two @ 33.33 rpm from Classic records ( Introducing Johhny Griffin :wub: and Undercurrent ( Kenny Drew) :wub:

,they feel and look amazing, so weighty , very smooth but very expensive but probably good value when you consider what went into making them.

I saw the site and it looks very interesting. I have heard mixed reports though, from their products, as well as from some other lp reissue companies. It varies from lp to lp -- some sound much better than the originals, others sound worse. But I might buy one of the classical living stereo reissues to try it out.

I have heard mixed reports though, from their products, as well as from some other lp reissue companies. It varies from lp to lp -- some sound much better than the originals, others sound worse. But I might buy one of the classical living stereo reissues to try it out.

I own 75+ Classic Records LP's. Everything from Classical to Hendrix. Many of them are the LP's I reach for most often because of the music and analog sweet sound. Of course, the sound varies- so do the master tapes.

The sound quality improves very much. I have "Kind of Blue", "Blues In Orbit" and Brahms: Concerto No. 1 RCA LSC 1831. Some of the best sound available. Are they worth it? Try a couple and let your ears and pocket book decide. You will also get more excercise. :D

Thanks for the info, wolff.

Hmmm....

I just may have to break down and pre-order a copy of the upcoming 45RPM version of 'Soul Station'! ;)

Yes the sound quality varies but so do the lp remasters. I am not a firm believer of current lp remastering, but I am willing to give a listen. I am eyeing the Classics Living Stereo version of Petrouchka, because it was never originally issued in stereo. And I am currently discovering a world of classical vinyl, both mono and stereo, that sound great.

Cool.. I became a firm believer in current LP remasterings when the original got too expensive. :D Many of the original Living Stereos are more affordable now, so maybe you can compare the two. I would highly recommend Classics Royal Ballet/Gala Perfomances for a start.

wolff  Posted on Jul 2 2004, 04:17 PM        Cool.. I became a firm believer in current LP remasterings when the original got too expensive

Me too.

I have quite a few of these Classic Records re-issues and am pleased with all of them. While I am generally suspicious of many of the LP re-issues that are out there these days, Classic Records isn't one I'm suspicious of, quality-wise. They are analog masters, often in mono and sound great. They are a good way to get these when the originals are super high priced on E-Bay. They have issued some items targeted at collectors, such as blue vinyl editions of Kind of Blue that people have gotten upset about, but I avoid those kind of items anyway so it hasn't affected my experience of them.

Leeway  Posted on Jul 5 2004, 08:18 PM        Any views on the Classic Records BLUE TRAIN mono vs stereo?

I have the mono Classic Records issue, but not the stereo. I do have a Liberty pressing of the stereo version (without an RVG in the deadwax), and the Classic Records copy is significantly better. The horns sound much more clear, with a great soundstage. I don't have the RVG CD of this, so haven't done any comparisons there.

Blue Train isn't a Coltrane that I listen to a lot, so this was a welcome chance to break it out and put it on.

Any views on the Classic Records BLUE TRAIN mono vs stereo?

Nothing first hand, except I really like the mono BN titles I have from Classic(Mobley and Griffin) and would probably opt for the mono if I did not have a nice mono NY already. They did a good job on the stereo titles, also. I have Cool Struttin', On the Spur of the Moment and Undercurrent and think they are very good. I know I play the mono's more, not for the sound, but I like the music more.

I think there was a discussion on Hoffman's site regarding the Blue Train tapes(both mono and stereo) Grundman had to work with. Very interesting info.

Any views on the Classic Records BLUE TRAIN mono vs stereo?

Still not an answer to your question, but....

I also have Classic's "Swingin' Affair" in stereo and it's very, very good. If you need/want this title do not hesitate to search for and buy it. IMO, a super reissue in every way!! I have a feeling I would like this one more than a mint original. The music comes across incredibly and without some of the flaws I notice in originals from this period. :tup:tup:tup:tup

I realize I didn't really answer your question above either, because I only offered a comparision between the Classics mono Blue Train and a Liberty re-issue in stereo. But, for what it's worth, the one stereo Classics Records re-issue I own is Sonny Rollins' "The Bridge" and it sounds great, so they can do stereo very well. I would bet your choice on Blue Train boils down only to whether you like mono or stereo. I bet both sound great.