Derek Trucks Band

John B

Has anyone here heard this set yet?

g37990khcg3.jpg

It is two discs, recorded live at the Georgia Theatre last year. The setlist looks great:

Disc 1

1 Kam-ma-lay

2 Gonna Move

3 Volunteered Slavery

4 Sahib Teri Bandi - Maki Madni

5 Leaving Trunk

6 I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free

7 Angola

8 Feel So Bad

Disc 2

1 For My Brother

2 Sonido Alegre

3 Joyful Noise

4 So Close, So Far Away

5 Freddie's Dead

I'm curious how their takes on Volunteered Slavery and Angola turned out. I saw the DTB live back in '97 or '98 and they did a great version of Afro Blue, so I have high hopes for these performances. The set is only available online, either on itunes or through Derek's website. I already ordered a copy, as the set was on sale for $9.50. I haven't really followed the DTB but, for less than $10, I'll take a chance on this release.

Any reviews or opinions on this one?

Edited by John B

I bought it from iTunes the other day. I am really enjoying this disc. Lots of great playing from all of the band, especially Derek. I think he's becoming a great player. I was surprised about how the disc is being sold, only on iTunes and from his site. Is this the future of music selling?

AMG mentioned the manner in which this is being sold. They put it in the context of the Allman Brother's Live at Fillmore--this could be the album that everyone gets behind, but the dopes at Sony are making it only somewhat available to the public. Those poops.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to derektrucks.com, and that leads you directly to the Sony website. So I went there, ordered, got my package-and I got 'Soul Serenade'?! My first thought was that these dopes at Sony, etc. I checked my order, and lo and behold, I clicked on the wrong thing! So I went back and ordered the live discs. 'Soul Serenade' is very good, and D. Trucks has a great sense of adventure- he seems willing to try different things musically.

• 2 years later...

Saw the band a few days ago, very impressive. What i enjoyed from that gig was that his guitar work was done in the context of the song. Instead of going in a long masturbating jam he simply tried to improve the pieces on the setlist.

What could have been a parody of the Allman Brothers turned out to be good original solid music.

Edited by Van Basten II