Favorite Solos

dangme

Got to add some Cannonball...

my favourite:

- Love for Sale (Somethin' Else)

but there are others...

- Freddie Freeloader (KoB)

- Dat Dere (Them Dirty Blues)

he had his pet licks, sure, and plenty of them, but he had buckets of soul!

Then there's that terrific trumpet solo of Bennie Bailey's on "Swiss Movement" (McCann/Harris), where in the middle the crowd goes all applauding (the story shared in the liners: he played with closed eyes, thought they'd dug him that much, but then he opened the eyes and noticed that they clapped for Ella who'd just entered... still the solo is da shit!)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok ... so I guess I gotta come up with some stuff that maybe some people haven't heard yet ? 

So ... no Messengers "Free For All" ... no Lee "The Gigolo"... no Larry Young "Softly" ... no Miles .... oh man ! ... ouch ...

No, not at all.

List the ones you like. Who knows what others have heard anyway?

:tup

Ok, I'll bite......Woody Shaw's solo on 'Softly as a Morning Sunrise' from Larry Young's 'Unity' melts my mind......

I like Wynton Kelly's solo on Freddie Freeloader......

Donald Byrd's playing on 'Cristo Redentor' from 'A New Perspective' is powerful.

that's a few........ok one more......Lee Morgan's solo from 'C.T.A.' offa 'Candy. NIIIIICE

Templejazz OUT!!!!!!!!!

Lester Young's opener on Basie's "Miss Thing." Lighter than air.

And while we're in Basieland, Buck Clayton's spot on "Don't You Miss Your Baby?"

Since you be talkin' Basie - Prez on Taxi War Dance.

Since we be talkin' Basie and Pres: Love and Live Tonight

Since we be talkin' Pres: Lester's Blues #1 (On Savoy Jazz Immortals vol;. 2)

How about the great solo by Oliver Nelson on "Stolen Moments" on the "Blues and the Abstract Truth" album .... Nelson's solos are so beautifully constructed that I wonder if he worked on them ahead of time.

This is one that almost always moves me to tears .....

Others:

John Lewis on Django from the MJQ's European Concert - I know it by heart.

Ron Carter on Survival Blues from McCoy Tyner's Extensions - so much humor and at the same time clever thematic improvisation.

Ron Carter on Turiya and Ramakrishna from Alice Coltrane's Ptah, The El Daoud - some of the deepest roots bass playing I have ever heard.

Prez on I Can't Get Started and Body And Soul on Aladdin - desert island music.

Roy Ayers on Daddy Bug (the title tune) - so beautifully melodic you can't tell where the written part ends.

Roy Ayers on Paper Man and There Is A Mountain on Herbie Mann's Windows Opened - the most rhythmolodic vibes playing ever.

Almost any solo by John Lewis on Stitt Plays Bird.

Sonny Rollins' solo on "Misterioso" (Blue Note). His entrance once knocked me off my chair!

Prez on "Jumpin' at the Woodside"

Miles' solo on "Stella By Starlight" from "My Funny Valentine". Such drama - such pacing!

Bird's solo on "Funky Blues" - so brilliant, especially juxtaposed between Hodges & Carter.

John Handy's solo on Mingus' "Alice in Wonderland". When he hits that trill.....

How about the great solo by Oliver Nelson on "Stolen Moments" on the "Blues and the Abstract Truth" album .... Nelson's solos are so beautifully constructed that I wonder if he worked on them ahead of time.

I love that one too.

Should also mention...

* Mal Waldon on "Warm Canto" (The Quest)

* Mary Lou Williams on "It Ain't Necessarily So" (Black Christ of the Andes)

* Roland Kirk on "Moonray" (Out of the Afternoon)

Keith Jarrett's solo intro to "Roads Travelled, Roads Veiled" (Fort Yawuh)-- I'm iffy on his solo concerts, but some of his solo work within group confines is masterful and this one is stunning

Charlie Haden's bass solo on "Ramblin" (Change of the Century)

Joe Henderson on "Zoltan" (Unity) -- maybe my favorite Joe H solo

Joe Henderson on "Teeter Totter" (Our Thing) & "El Barrio" (Inner Urge)

John Coltrane on "Creation" (from the Half Note 1965)

Chick Corea on "Masqualero" (Paris 11/3/69) -- the best Chick Corea solo I've ever heard

Wayne Shorter on "Mademoiselle Mabry" (Filles de Kilimanjaro) -- I like how he allows the recurring melody to fill in the gaps in his solo

Wayne Shorter on "So What" (Plugged Nickel) -- burning

Wayne Shorter on "Arabia" (Mosaic)

Horace Silver on "Blowin' the Blues Away" -- my favorite H Silver solo

Booker Ervin on "I.I. BS" (Mingusx5)

bary01 Posted Today, 02:06 PM

Cannonball solo on "Waltz for Debby"

enjoy the transcription here !

cannonball transcription

Quite agree!

Not wanting to be negative, but those same solos of Oliver Nelson's that have been mentioned I'm not too keen on for the precise reason that they do sound rehearsed. At best, I think he's playing 'composer's sax' here... :ph34r:

John Coltrane's solo on "Teo" (Miles Davis' Someday My Prince Will Come album), Ike Quebec's solo on "Deep in a Dream" (Sonny Clark's Leapin' and Lopin' album), Sonny Rollins' solos on his Saxophone Colossus album, Bill Evans' playing on "My Foolish Heart" (his Waltz for Debby album), and loads of others...

Speaking of Miles' "Someday My Prince Will Come" - there's a stunning Mobe solo there, too, I think on "Old Folks"? Perfectly constructed and beautifully executed.

Also I have a soft spot for Miles' solo on the Carnegie Hall performance of "Teo" - it's loud and high, and not all that sophisticated, but I just love it...