Jazz for July 4th

medjuck

Hey medjuck, I'm programming some music for my new program, which debuts tomorrow on the eve of the 4th of July. It will include Duke Ellington's version of "Rhapsody in Blue" (a perennial Independence Day number for picnic-with-the-Pops affairs) and Charles Mingus' "Freedom" (not necessarily "patriotic," at least by the conservative definition of the word).

Off the top of my head:

Peggy Lee/Johnny Mercer, "Freedom Train"

Anything by Louis Armstrong (whose "symbolic" birthday remains July 4)

Paul Robeson, "Ballad for Americans" (not really jazz, but a 4th fave of mine)

Damn, there's much more, but I can't remember... I'll post whatever else I think of.

Either Eddie Harris' "Freedom Jazz Dance" or Miles' version of it (from MILES SMILES).

Jackie McLean's LET FREEDOM RING (although his title is actually referring to the advent of free jazz, but it's such a fantastic album... sounds good any time!)

Re: Duke, there are at least a couple of live versions he did of "The Star-Spangled Banner" floating around--during WWII he frequently opened shows by playing it.

Charlie Haden did "America the Beautiful" a couple of years ago, but I much prefer Brother Ray's version.

Max Roach's WE INSIST: THE FREEDOM NOW SUITE

Sonny Rollins, "The Freedom Suite"

I also like to play Sinatra's "The House I Live In" on the 4th.

As you can see, I tend to bring a certain civil-rights tinge to my 4th programming... ;)

Ghost, be sure and play Jimi Hendrix variations on the Star Spangled Banner from the Woodstock festival! Hendrix at his very best!

As you can see, I tend to bring a certain civil-rights tinge to my 4th programming... ;)

More freedom:

Art Blakey's Freedom Rider.

There's a Freedom March on Grant Green's Sunday Morning

Phil Woods has another nice rendition of that Freedom Jazz Dance on the recent Americans Swinging in Paris disk

and pretty cool as well: Hans Koller - Freedom from the New York album. Pretty cool big band with a bite.