• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Thanks for the link

In 2019, the Candid back catalog and label was sold to Glen Barros (above) and Exceleration Music. Barros brought in John Burk, Charles Caldas, Amy Dietz and Dave Hansen as partners, and they are now remastering and reissuing Candid albums. The following five recordings have just been released on CD and streaming and will be available as vinyl albums on June 24. The sound of these remastered albums is warm and vivid:

Mingus Presents Mingus, We Insist!!, Straight Ahead, Otis Spann Is The Blues, Lightnin' In New York

I was a little surprised to realize I had never done a Discogs search for the Candid label. 

It's an eternal mystery to me if I have truly never picked up the Fathead/Clifford Jordan release, Blue Head but I found on Amazon for $8 delivered. And, while hunting down Rickey Woodard's California Cookin' 2, I am happy to report I found it in the stacks. That one would have been a lot more than $8 if I hadn't found it ten feet behind me.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

It's an eternal mystery to me if I have truly never picked up the Fathead/Clifford Jordan release, Blue Head but I found on Amazon for $8 delivered.

That's a "good" record, one that I've had for ages and come back to periodically, but...I always find it a bit of an underachiever, considering who's on it.

YMMV, of course.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the remastered CD of Max Roach We Insist! and its sound is much, much better than the CD that I already had (the copyright 1989 Candid Productions London whatever).  If you have only the 1989 CD of We Insist!, do yourself a favor and get the remastered version.

15 minutes ago, gvopedz said:

I got the remastered CD of Max Roach We Insist! and its sound is much, much better than the CD that I already had (the copyright 1989 Candid Productions London whatever).  If you have only the 1989 CD of We Insist!, do yourself a favor and get the remastered version.

Care to share which remastered reissue you're referring to?

Possibly this one: 

UVJZ-20006 Max Roach / We Insist! [Limited Low-Priced Reissue] 
  CD 980yen  Released: December 09, 2020

or the repressing:
Max Roach / We Insist!  
UVJZ-22024 
  CD 980yen  Released: March 23, 2022

15 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

The recent RSD LP of ‘We Insist !’ (clear vinyl) mastered by Bernie Grundman sounds fabulous and bodes well for the rest of this series.

I have an original mono pressing I don’t remember it sounds so bad, will spin it later.

Just now, porcy62 said:

I have an original mono pressing I don’t remember it sounds so bad, will spin it later.

I never heard the Candid original but this version fulfils all my requirements. Bodes well for the rest of the LP reissues. I have the Max Roach on an 80s CD and this version blows it away completely.

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

I have the Max Roach on an 80s CD and this version blows it away completely.

There is no match with any of 80s CDs. I think they learned to mastering a cd in the 90s with a few exceptions.

Edited by porcy62

7 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I recently got a 1985 Candid reissue LP of Mingus Presents Mingus. It sounds really muddy and poor. Is this a notoriously weak pressing of it, or do all versions sound like this? 

I've dug out my copy of what I think is the '85 reissue. Not the best sound but not noticeably poor. The "announcements" are muffled and off-mike to an extent but once the music kicks in it's pretty front and present with noticeable foregrounding to the soloing instrument which does make the rest of the band sound a bit homogenous and distant.

Music's great of course. 

The Pure Pleasure reissue has a couple of very positive reviews on Discogs for what that's worth (not a lot really)

Edited by mjazzg

1 hour ago, Peter Friedman said:

51K7xuTVjML._AC_UY218_.jpg

When I first played this, I thought it was a Coltrane tribute album. I mean clearly, "Impressions" is a tribute to Coltrane, but he certainly sounds a lot like Coltrane playing an alto on several other numbers.

Man, Bartz is on fire on this CD. I had forgotten how fiercely he plays here.