• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Max Roach, Freedom Now Suite

The Terry, yes!

And all the Minguses, check "Mingus presents Mingus" first!

And if you "get" that relatively free stuff, try some of the Cecil Taylor, maybe "The World of", and "New York City R'n'B" first (Buell Neidlinger is co-billed on that one).

Clunky, I never managed to get hold of the Thompson disc - you know some place that does not only list it, but indeed has it?

ubu

b3-er  Posted on Jul 5 2004, 11:00 PM        I think Shirley Scott has three records on this label. If I'm remembering correctly and it is indeed Candid, the records SMOKE!

I didn't know that. Wow. She rocks. I haven't ever heard anything by her that I haven't enjoyed. Off the subject, but this week I bought the RVG CD "Hustlin'" by Stanley Turrentine and she is on the organ. Nice set. I also love her album she did on Strata East with harold Vick. She also did an album for Prestige of Horace Silver tunes that kills too.

Edited by ajf67

Assume we're talking about the original Candid label that was active in the early 60s. The one whose sessions were supervised by Nat Hentoff.

Some more great albums:

Steve Lacy 'Straight Horn'

Nancy Harrow 'Wild Women Don't Have The Blues'

and another recommendation for the PeeWee Russell/Coleman Hawkins 'Jazz Reunion'

Quite a number of these seem to be OOP. Have been searching for all the Cecil Taylor discs (only 1 or 2 currently available) plus the Benny Bailey - but no luck.

Add Jaki Byard's solo album "Blues for Smoke" and Phil Woods "Rights of Swing" to the list of good ones.

More thumbs up for "Freedom Now Suite", "Out Front" and "Color Changes".

Quite a number of these seem to be OOP. Have been searching for all the Cecil Taylor discs (only 1 or 2 currently available)...

Check amazon marketplace. You usually find all of them used (and even sealed) for very reasonable prices.

EDIT: I mean, the Cecil Taylor discs (don´t know if the rest of the Candid catalogue is available)

Edited by EKE BBB

Assume we're talking about the original Candid label that was active in the early 60s. The one whose sessions were supervised by Nat Hentoff.

In case we include the non-original Candid label, I´d recommend Gary Bartz´s "West 42nd street" (1990).

Not jazz, but I've got Memphis Slim's tribute to Big Bill Broonzy on a Candid disc, and it's great if you're into the stripped-down approach to the blues ... if I remember correctly it's just Slim on piano supported by a guitar and harmonica.

Has anyone ever come across a version of the Mingus Candids that do not have the annoying print-through echo?

I gather this is from poorly stored tapes.

Are original pressings free of this defect?

Have enjoyed the Mingus Candids for years. I have the mono originals. Like most of the first generation Candids, the sessions were engineered by the great Bob d'Orleans. The music speaks for itself. The sound is superb in all its analog glory.

No print-through echo on those Candid LPs.

Has anyone ever come across a version of the Mingus Candids that do not have the annoying print-through echo?

I gather this is from poorly stored tapes.

Are original pressings free of this defect?

Have enjoyed the Mingus Candids for years. I have the mono originals. Like most of the first generation Candids, the sessions were engineered by the great Bob d'Orleans. The music speaks for itself. The sound is superb in all its analog glory.

No print-through echo on those Candid LPs.

Thanks. Those are probably pretty hard to get one's hands one, but I'm going to try.