***Greatful Dead Recommendations***

Matthew

At the risk of getting flamed, it might be a good idea to list some Grateful Dead albums

NOT to start with.

If I was just getting into the group, I would avoid:

Go to Heaven - I like Alabama Getaway, but that's about it.

Built to Last - There's a lot I like about In the Dark (the album before this one), but I've never been able to get into Built to Last.

Others that I wouldn't put high on my list, but some might be fans of:

Steal Your Face - you're better off downloading live recordings from those same shows for free. There has always been a very negative buzz about this album, so I never bothered with it.

Shakedown Street & Terrapin Station - I know I'll get blasted for this, but I just can't get into the production of this and Terrapin Station. There are great songs on both of these albums, but the live versions are MUCH better, to me. I'm not saying not to get these eventually, but as first purchases, you could do better.

I'll put my asbestos coat on. Flame away!

:rsmile:

Edited by AfricaBrass

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy are you a BRAVE man! :D

Hey, no flaming from me, from what I can remember you've given good advice, though I will admit to a real fondness for the tune "Althea" on Go to Heaven. . . . I don't know why, I just really like that tune!

Edited by jazzbo

To help share the flaming with you, AfricaBrass, I really don't like ANY of the Dead's studio albums. The production on them just doesn't do it for me. I probably have about 7 dead albums (all live, multi-disc albums), about 15 different Dicks Picks Volumes and a few shows burned on CD-R. Basically, my entire Dead collection is live stuff, except for the studio tracks on the "So Many Roads" box set. I think the Dead are a live band, and that's really the only way I enjoy hearing them.

I love "Althea" too.....the version on Dick's Picks 6!! ;)

I also got rid of all my Dead studio albums except Americal Beauty and Workingman's Dead. Ditched Steal Your Face as well.

I really like One From the Vault and Two From the Vault.

Another one of my favorites is 100 Years Hall from Europe in 1972.

I like Reckoning too when I'm in the mood for acoustic Dead

I'm with you guys, Sal and Scott.

The Dead's studio albums (except Workingman's Dead and American Beauty) don't match the live stuff for me either. I do enjoy them, though, because the studio versions are interesting when compared to the live versions. It's too bad they were never able to capture in the studio what they had live.

I guess I also like the studio versions because they are all I had for a long time when I was a Dead newbie. This was long before they started opening the vaults, and tape trading was only for those in the know. It's amazing that I can download hundreds of shows off the internet at any time.

If any of you out there are interested in live shows. Check out www.gdlive.com or www.furthurnet.org. These are great resources for downloading live shows. If you're not familiar with the .shn format, you should be. This is a lossless compression format. Basically you convert your .wav files to .shn and they are about half the size. The best part is that unlike .mp3, the file quality hasn't been lost in any way when you convert it back to a .wav file for cd burning. This would be a great format for trading jazz also.

I hope some of you will give the downloading method a chance. I've got hundreds of Dead shows now.

AfricaBrass,

I'm hip to the downloading thing as well! For a while, back in college when all I was into was jambands, I was trading CD-R's of shows from the original audience taper sources. When I discovered .shn, that made everything so much easker. I did that for a while, back when it was really young and you would download shows off of people's small servers. But now, its caught on and they have all those websites that you mentioned...and then some. It truely is a nice aspect of not only the Dead, but other jambands as well. Now, if I could have only taped that Tom Harrell Quintet show I saw last night!!!!

Grabbed a tape copy of Wake of the Flood (flawed tape, but listenable. . . though I'm going to have to replace it with a cd) and have to say that this will always be one of my favorite Dead sessions. It's just special, I don't know what else to say. Have a copy on the way of a cd of Blues for Allah (cd only, no art!) that I plucked off half.com cheaply . . . I know I'll enjoy hearing that too soon.

Darn this thread! :D

Welcome back to the bus, Lon!

I love the songs from Wake of the Flood. I just found out that Dick's Picks 28 will be from February 1973 when many of these songs debuted. One of my favorite things is listening to a live version of Eyes of the World on a sunny afternoon.

If you're interested, www.gdlive.com has some Wake of the Flood outtakes on it for download. It looks like the site is down right now, but it should be back up soon.

I like the Dead, I really do, but am I the only one who finds the self-involvment of deadheads to be just a bit of a barrier? On the other hand, I have some nice bootleg Quicksilver....

At this point, I'm only into the Dead for the music. I would never give up listening to it just because of some overly self-involved Deadheads.

It's pretty funny though, there's a bulletin board for the gdlive.com site, but all they do on it is trade cds and fight. They don't really talk about much.

You bring up Quicksilver. I love that group. I couldn't imagine getting to see both bands play together. That would have been amazing. The interplay between the guitars of John Cippolina and Gary Duncan was amazing. I just wish they would never have added Dino Valente to the group. I like some of the Just For Love album, but I don't like much after that. I've been able to find some live QMS shows using the furthurnet.org site.

:rsmile: :D :rsmile:

africaBrass,

Yeah, sociology shouldn't get in the way of music, but then it doesn't exist in a vacumn either....I too have been curious to hear what some of those mix 'n match Dead/QMS/Airplane shows might have sounded like. I do know (and like) some deadhead tape traders I could ask but I hate to unleash the overly long reply. Did hear some interesting music on the local tape trader show on KBOO (Dead Air Space) by a band called String Cheese Incident, I think they played Birdland as bluegrass, kinda...

Almost forgot, Dino V. was (I believe) originally part of QMS but got busted and/or drafted, then came back...talk about dark cloud/(quick)silver lining!

Edited by danasgoodstuff

John Oswald did a great job with Grayfolded. I don't listen to it much, but it's impressive.

I'd really like to hear his Plunderphonics cd. I've read a lot about it, but haven't heard it. I guess he really pissed off the record companies with that one.

BTW - if any of you download from gdlive.com, they just added a bunch of new shows. :g

• 2 weeks later...