***Greatful Dead Recommendations***

Matthew

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The odd thing about the Europe '72 set (if that's what the original poster was referring to) is that it is a hybrid live/studio LP--as was the "Skullfuck" cd from the 1971 spring tour. Seems the boys never liked their live singing, so they played selected songs in the studio and, using the same "live" setup, overdubbed on both Lps (vocals and, in some cases, instruments). Notice the lack of audience on Europe '72. The songs ARE great--but the last two sides--Truckin-----Morning Dew are excerpted from the final show in London. Of course, the suite on Live/Dead is a compilation from two nights, but it's unadorned.

If you want live, there are now 3 releases from that European tour (with more, no doubt, to come)--all excellent--and, as noted above, the Fillmore East release is much livelier than the overdubbed LP.

My Dead is the early Dead--1967--1972--when Pigpen reminded is to "keep [our] hands out of [our] pockets." The energy of youth--can't beat it.

Ron "Pigpen" McKernan: September 8, 1945 – March 8, 1973)

I would listen to more Dead from that era if it weren't for Pigpen. In fact, I was about to pre-order that ltd ed box set before I realized Pigpen was all over it, so I didnt bother. Just cant take his singing, or for that matter the songs he sings on, for the most part, are some of their most boring. Things got much better once Keith joined

• 1 month later...

If you want live, there are now 3 releases from that European tour (with more, no doubt, to come)--all excellent--and, as noted above, the Fillmore East release is much livelier than the overdubbed LP.

Can anyone - perhaps orchiddoctor - explain the deal with two apparently different editions of Steppin' Out with the Grateful Dead: England '72? According to Amazon, there was a version released in 2002 on Arista that is now available only from used dealers, while a version released in 2004 on Grateful Dead/Wea is available new. Amazon also shows two different versions of the cover:

2002:

B000069KH5.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

2004:

B0002T2Q7O.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I see no difference between the track lists, no noted differences in format (CD, SACD, etc.).

Just curious...

Edited by gdogus

with mediaplay closing, my local store has a number of Dead discs that I am considering (all at 20% off)- DP 19, 20, 23 and 25, Rockin the Rhein, the Fillmore East one from the early 70s, and the Closing of Winterland. tough choice, but I gotta get one at least. I'm leaning toward DP 20

Can anyone - perhaps orchiddoctor - explain the deal with two apparently different editions of Steppin' Out with the Grateful Dead: England '72? According to Amazon, there was a version released in 2002 on Arista that is now available only from used dealers, while a version released in 2004 on Grateful Dead/Wea is available new. Amazon also shows two different versions of the cover:

2002:

B000069KH5.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

2004:

B0002T2Q7O.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I see no difference between the track lists, no noted differences in format (CD, SACD, etc.).

Just curious...

Oh, that's an easy thing to explain: Three words: El Es Dee. No doubt the rerelease simply took the cover art and reformatted it. Good eyes--I would never have noticed. Of course, my original copy must be worth tons of money :P

As to recommendations: You just can't go wrong (IMHO) with the Fillmore East set. Of course, I am biased since I got to see that entire run (oh to be 19 and fried again) and I'm in love withe the Pigpen years. The songs are sweet and crisp, and the jamming is excellent. DP 1 has that all time great Here Comes Sunshine if you like 1973. You know, of course that the whole series is available as a set discount, and I understand that it will be Xmas at Jazzbo's in a week. :w

No, because my wife is not likely to be feeling too well at Xmas, we had ours already. I got a dvd recorder. . . I'm making a burn of a Miles appearance on vhs right now! :)

I like that Steppin' Out thread. . . mine is the earlier version. . . going to have pull that out and listen soon.

No, because my wife is not likely to be feeling too well at Xmas, we had ours already. I got a dvd recorder. . . I'm making a burn of a Miles appearance on vhs right now! :)

I like that Steppin' Out thread. . . mine is the earlier version. . . going to have pull that out and listen soon.

Just joking! The "discount" on the whole set doesn't even balance out the cost of the clunker releases!

As much as this will come as a shock, I have a serious Dead addiction and have for 40 years--but I only have about half the DPs. Of course we all have our own preferences--which is always a good thing.

Thin Elvis or fat Elvis--I mean Jerry? Don't you think he deserves a postage stamp? Lick the back and YOU end up in the mail to who knows where! :o