Jackie McLean

sal

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can truthfully say that for me there is no Blue Note Jackie McLean record that isn't a "stone gas" (pardon my aging vernacularism) other than 'Bout Soul. And I really, really want to like that one, just can't get there with that. Other than Miles/Columbia, what other single label has so vividly an artist's "journey" (pardon my contemporaneous vernacularism) over such a relatively lengthy period?

Perhaps a "rhetorical question" (pardon my rhetorical vernacularism), but really, that's the exception that proves the rule, if indeed it does.

27 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I can truthfully say that for me there is no Blue Note Jackie McLean record that isn't a "stone gas" (pardon my aging vernacularism) other than 'Bout Soul. And I really, really want to like that one, just can't get there with that. Other than Miles/Columbia, what other single label has so vividly an artist's "journey" (pardon my contemporaneous vernacularism) over such a relatively lengthy period?

Perhaps a "rhetorical question" (pardon my rhetorical vernacularism), but really, that's the exception that proves the rule, if indeed it does.

What's yer prob with 'Bout Soul, the poetry the drumming or something else?  But yeah, they did a great job of documenting Jackie Mac.

Edited by danasgoodstuff

19 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

What's yer prob with 'Bout Soul, the poetry the drumming or something else?  But yeah, they did a great job of documenting Jackie Mac.

IIRC my problem with it is Scotty Holt. I heard him in a club in Chicago with Jackie at about that time, and in the course of one of Holt's "Hey, look at me, Ma!" solos, Jackie said ""ridiculous shit." I'm aware that this could well have been a term of praise, but I took it as the simple truth.

3 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

If Holt was on multiple records and club dates wouldn't that be an indication Jackie liked his shtick?

That's possible. It could also be that Holt was someone Jackie McLean knew and knew that he was reliable and affordable. Lots of things could come into play. Who knows? All speculation.

Edited by paul secor

4 hours ago, paul secor said:

That's possible. It could also be that Holt was someone Jackie McLean knew and knew that he was reliable and affordable. Lots of things could come into play. Who knows? All speculation.

Or that he liked everything except the solos, who likes bass solos?

Edited by danasgoodstuff