Blue Notes Going OOP

Leeway

Received the following e-mail from BN:

Dear Jazz Lover,

We regret to inform you that the following CD titles are being discontinued on September 1, 2004.  If you have been contemplating any of these titles for your collection, we suggest that you purchase them now through your local retailer or the Blue Note Web Site at (http://www.bluenote.com/specials.asp).

Until August 9 or when supplies run out, they are being offered at a special low price on the Blue Note Web Site and can be found clicking on the WEEKLY SPECIALS button. Track listings and other information about these recordings are also available on the site.

CDs

ART BLAKEY & THE JAZZ MESSENGERS - Three Blind Mice, Volume 2

DON BYRON – Romance With The Unseen  (Supplies are very limited)

SONNY CRISS – The Complete Imperial Recordings (Connoisseur Series – 2 CDs)

LOU DONALDSON – Good Gracious

JACKIE McLEAN Nature Boy (with the Cedar Walton trio)

DIANNE REEVES - Bridges

180-gram LPs

CANNONBALL ADDERLEY – Somethin’ Else (Supplies are very limited)

JOHN COLTRANE – Blue Train  (Supplies are very limited)

Any thoughts on the vinyl Coltrane?

Edited by Leeway

Guest ariceffron

blue note are idiots---- how did they determine to drop 3 blind mice II and Good Gracious anyway? are those the 2 worst sellers this month? i dont get how they picked these two classics to dismiss..... who has info

Leeway,

If you are willing to spend more for glorious vinyl, the Classic Records reissue (either mono or stereo) is a big improvement over the Blue Note late-90's vinyl reissue. I have both and much prefer the Classic, but it costs $30.00, compared to $18.00 for the BN.

charles

What I don't understand is that in this day and age Blue Note doesn't just say that though they will no longer make the CDs, they will be available for download at iTunes or another comparable site. As a matter of fact, isn't it about time that they created their own download service?

What I don't understand is that in this day and age Blue Note doesn't just say that though they will no longer make the CDs, they will be available for download at iTunes or another comparable site. As a matter of fact, isn't it about time that they created their own download service?

I emailed Blue Note about this very concept -- putting OOP albums up on iTunes. I got the response: "We are working on this right now!"

Take it for what it's worth.

re; the idea of making OOP sessions available for download...I suggested this to someone at EMI at the 2002 IAJE and they said they were working on it then, after they got offended that I said that I was glad that Kazaa, Napster and the rest exist, because at least that way, if they refuse to keep their music out there, the music lovers of the world could.

I'm surprised that no one's mentioned the Don Byron session yet. In my humble opinion, that's the best session that Byron's yet recorded. It's thoroughly enjoyable. If you don't have it, and they have it on sale, you owe it to yourself to pick it up.