AAJ

Soul Stream

I hadn't been to the AAJ site in a few weeks, so I popped over for a second. Hit the "view new topics" selection and immediately latched onto a thread where Chuck is being called out and harrassed for what seemed to be "kicks."

It made me realize how much I like it over here. Maybe a little less crowded. But much, much nicer none-the-less.

If it wasn't for the Organissimo site, I doubt I would still be in cyber-jazz-land at all. So, thanks again Jim and Co. for providing a safe haven. I think the cozy atmosphere over here turns away people more inclined to attack without provication.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's wrong with AAJ? They have a thorough review section of new CD's, and certainly not only the major household names and the board is quite busy without being too busy - and with a good balance, I think - meaning that music is far more important than politics.

I fail to understand why people are so keen on things like ignore functions. These types of cyber boards are supposed to be an eclectic combination of substance, non-substance, serious, half-baked, humorous and irritating stuff -- so putting filters in place seems to defeat the whole spirit of the thing (imo). I skim just about everything that is available regardless of who the author is. Some of the more interesting factoids I've picked up were submitted by people that I'd like to see drinking Billy Beer for an eternity. :g

billy.jpg

I make regular trips between JC, AAJ and Organ--each has its own characteristics, some salient, some less so. Staying away from AAJ just because DEEP is doing his thing makes little sense. We are, in fact, seeing a more restrained, less offensive DEEP over there. Besides, he really is having his fun, and--to be sure--he has his own concept of fun. DEEP also has a thorough knowledge of early to bop jazz, which he often enhances a BBS with.

I consider him to be a good friend, but that does not mean that I support everything he posts--still, like I said, he has his mellower moments, and we are seeing them now at AAJ.

I mostly lurk at AAJ, and I don't check it nearly as frequently as here. For whatever reason, it seems that the jazz-related threads on AJJ are of less interest to me. For instance, shortly after I joined, I did a search on the AAJ board for topics about Andrew Hill, Charles Tolliver, Woody Shaw, and/or Larry Young - and I found very little discussion about any of these guys. Hill especially - how can a jazz board not really ever talk about Andrew Hill??? :wacko:

Seems also that there are are a few people on the AAJ board (not many, but a few that post fairly often) that have some pretty strong opinions about what "is" jazz, and what "isn't" jazz --- or at least what is "good" jazz, and what isn't "good" jazz. And those kinds of arguments really don't do much for me.

The vibe here is a bit more "everyone can like what they want to like" in terms of music, which is good. (FYI: I certainly have lots of strong opinions about what I think is good, and what isn't - but I don't think it does any good to screw-up a perfectly OK thread that someone else has started. In fact, sometimes I find I learn something I didn't know, and I'll go back and check out something I previously had dismissed.)

Although, I might say that I'm getting a little bit tired of the amount of political conversation here (specifically the number of political threads, vs. the number of other threads). I'm not suggesting any kind of action be taken to change this, but I am entitled to my opinion.

Some days it seems like half the traffic on the board is in the "political topics" area. Often I think it just bogs down the board, and turns off other jazz-interested people from sticking around. Just my opinion.

I check the other boards, too. I'd say 98% of my posts are here. AAJ is a neat site, but this board feels like home to me. Once I came over here, it was hard to go back.

I just wish we could get the word out about this board. I tried to post about Organissimo over there, but it seemed to offend some.

:rsmile:

Besides, he really is having his fun, and--to be sure--he has his own concept of fun. DEEP also has a thorough knowledge of early to bop jazz, which he often enhances a BBS with.

I never thought bringing knowledge to the table at the expense of others was all that noble of excuse. Just my opinion. There's always one or two of those "types" around.

It really drags a board down. It's a circular argument. Some will say that putting up with it is worth it for their extensive knowledge. Give me Jim Sangry or Lon, ect. anyday....the knowledge without the bitter aftertaste.

...anyway, I'm really off my point which is to say I like the tone of this board and I'm glad everyone hung in there long enough to see it working.

The Album of the Week is a monumental undertaking IMHO. One that never could get started even at the old BNBB.

I mostly lurk at AAJ, and I don't check it nearly as frequently as here.

Same here. I think Jim has a very good point when he says that this board has an "advantage" because it's a .org NOT a .com. Less restrictions makes for better discussion, IMO, as you don't have to really worry about people looking over your shoulder, ready to delete or alter your post in some way. Much props to the 'moderators' for making this a cool place to hang out. :rsmile:

I never thought bringing knowledge to the table at the expense of others was all that noble of excuse. Just my opinion. There's always one or two of those "types" around.

It really drags a board down. It's a circular argument. Some will say that putting up with it is worth it for their extensive knowledge. Give me Jim Sangry or Lon, ect. anyday....the knowledge without the bitter aftertaste.

Your points are well taken--you get no argument from me.

I tried to post about Organissimo over there, but it seemed to offend some.

You're kidding, right? I have never seen a post at AAJ where anyone was offended by the mention of this board. Conversely, the very short thread here about whether the AAJ board was working or not seemed to draw a rather terse post. I see much more discussion here about "why I don't like AAJ"; I never read anything like that over there. :)

Edited by CK1

I tried to post about Organissimo over there, but it seemed to offend some.

You're kidding, right? I have never seen a post at AAJ where anyone was offended by the mention of this board. Conversely, the very short thread here about whether the AAJ board was working or not seemed to draw a rather terse post. I see much more discussion here about "why I don't like AAJ"; I never read anything like that over there. :)

I'm not kidding. I don't remember who it was or what thread it was in, but someone thought it was rude and offensive to be advertising this board.

I must admit, I was advertising this board, so I figured I'd be cool and not do it there.

Personally, I check the AAJ board daily. It's a fine board. If I find a topic I like I'll bite, but usually I just hang here.

I give Mike (the administrator at AAJ) a lot of credit for being so accomodating and helpful. I think AAJ is a fine site and I'm glad it's there.

I guess my topic is a bit inflamatory. I'm not trying to knock AAJ. The adm. did a great job and really make a nice setup for everyone vacating the BNBB. My point would have been better made without using the Wingy example.

My thoughts were basically that originally this board would end up with too few members and thus wouldn't be as viable place as other larger boards. I've found it quite the opposite. All the pluses of a "big" board (ie insightful jazz discussion), without a lot of the baggage that goes with holding together a forum for so many.

Like one member stated in an earlier post, trying to find some enthusiasm over some recent reissues found me only finding one place to go...here. :D

Soul Stream,

I understand your concerns about this board not attracting enough members. That was my initial reason for embracing AAJ, but I just dug hanging out here so much that I spent my time here.

One thing I have done a lot of is mention this place on other bulletin boards I frequent. I play guitar, so I spend time on guitar boards and when the subject of jazz comes up, I'm usually right there saying, "you should check out the organissimo forums...."

I think this place was easy to adjust to because it was made up of BNBB's. AAJ was like coming into someone else's town and trying to fit in. It was sort of a question of personalities. The funny thing is that I see you guys on organissimo, AAJ, and Jazz Corner. It's like a little bit of home everywhere I go. :D

you don't have to really worry about people looking over your shoulder, ready to delete or alter your post in some way.

Your observation is not true.. I wrote a satirical entry on this bulletin board and it was censored by B3er. Then they sent an E-Mail and told me "to consider a different jazz bulletin board". I have never posted an entry on this bulletin board since then although I still browse occasionally.

Interesting, although I'm sure they had a good reason to delete or censor what you may have posted. You are the first person I've heard of who has actually been censored on this board. I've heard of threads being deleted and whatnot but only because their function was basically no longer serving a purpose (eg. Offering and Looking For threads).