AAJ

Soul Stream

I don't agree with you on this one. If you look at every other forum on this board, it's music related. What does a politics forum have to do with jazz. I think that we can see that politics is quite divisive and usually tends to factionalize and not unite. I believe we come here to get away from the outside world and indulge in our hobby. Hobbies are a way to leave the outside world behind and get away. That being the case, why do we want to let that world intrude when we're trying to get away from it. I don't see the point.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, naturally I agree with Paul on this one. The thing is, we're here because we're jazz fans, but we do have other interests that we enjoy sharing. It's a lot easier to find people willing to discuss politics on a jazz board than it is to find people willing to discuss jazz on a political board. So, we do it here among friends. Sure, things get heated sometimes (you should have seen the PMs Paul and I started with on the BNBB! Better yet, you shouldn't... ;) ), but I think most of us can handle it. I agree you've been beating this drum pretty loudly and regularly for quite a while now, Brad, but I don't understand why. You say you manage to avoid the political threads yourself; why not let those of us who enjoy them to continue?

I don't agree with you on this one. If you look at every other forum on this board, it's music related. What does a politics forum have to do with jazz. I think that we can see that politics is quite divisive and usually tends to factionalize and not unite. I believe we come here to get away from the outside world and indulge in our hobby. Hobbies are a way to leave the outside world behind and get away. That being the case, why do we want to let that world intrude when we're trying to get away from it. I don't see the point.

I still cannot agree as what you say does not apply to me. I have had arguments with several different people on these political threads, yet I don't count any of them as other than friends.

I have disagreed (sometimes vehemently) with Johnny E., Alexander, Chris, Moose, and Ron F.--to name a few people, and yet I count them all as friends. In addition, we sometimes happen to agree on things: witness how Johnny and I have been agreeing on things of late.

Maybe you would feel ill towards others if you got into a theoretical argument on those topics, Brad, but I do not. As Mark pointed out, we had a rough beginning. Now I count him as a solid friend and we have found much in common. Indeed, I believe we have much more in common than otherwise. I feel I have learned from many of his posts just as I have from Johnny's or Alexander's or Chris' even though we still frequently disagree.

Maybe it's just my personality; but I like to define my boundaries first before becoming friends. BTW, those friendships become the strongest ones in my case. :rsmile:

Those political discussions are far from divisive, at least in my case.

Just to be clear, I don't believe I ever said I was speaking about you nor do I need you to speculate as to whether or not I would feel ill will towards anybody else. I think I can do that fine myself. All I said is, in principal, that I don't think political forums are a good idea and I stand by what I said. I know that I'm in the minority, most likely, and so be it. Won't be the first and probably not the last.

Not that this gives me any superior knowledge or insight but I've lived overseas and witnessed a revolution (Brasil, in 1964) and lived through a dictatorship (Spain), seen a country that I lived in (Uruguay) torn apart, and also studied the Spanish Civil War somewhat extensively so I know how divisive politics is and can be.

That's where my viewpoint comes from but that is obviously just me.

That's where my viewpoint comes from but that is obviously just me.

It's not just you Brad. I don't understand why political threads need to be a part of a jazz board either. As a long time BNBB member, I saw first hand how the vitriol and venom spilled over and enetered other threads.

This board has been different to this point however. Maybe its because the usual suspect in the political forums know each other so well and know the boundaries of the participants in the political threads or maybe it's as simple as Greg :wacko: is not here, but I see no spillover into non political threads to this point.

As for me - on this board - I still avoid the political stuff. I come here for jazz information and dialogue. But, I'm okay with the politics being on this board as long as there is no spillover. So far, so good in that area.

Edited by Ed Swinnich

Guest Mnytime

At this stage the only thing I can't stand about the AAJ is LeMo. ;)

I am starting to think he is stalking me over there or thinks we are in some sort of competition. :wacko:

He has already posted he is there to "Impose" his views on others even if it means getting into "posting fights". God Help you if you actually disagree with anything he may post or point out a mistake he has made. :rolleyes:

Edited by Mnytime

I just thought of something:

Perhaps it is less important to avoid situations where disagreements may result than it is to learn how to get along even when we disagree.

Therefore, even if the politics section is a likely breeding place for disagreement and arguments, it is still up to as adults to get along with each other nevertheless. There will always be disagreements in this world.

Now who is this LeMo? ;)

Edited by connoisseur series500

He has already posted he is there to "Impose" his views on others even if it means getting into "posting fights".

Ha! That sure sounds familiar; now who does that remind me of....

That DOES sound familiar! Dammit, who is it? It's on the tip of my tongue! ;)

Jazzmoose posted:

>>Ha! That sure sounds familiar; now who does that remind me of.... <<

This LeMo is a knave and a fool, a mere pretender to the throne. If he's smart he'll seek employment at his nearest convenience store, where his brain and his duties will make for a perfect fit.

There are much more important matters to be addressed. You people must understand the power of the true new audio format. That format is SACD.

co5s.jpg

Guest Mnytime

No he is not Greg, unless Greg suddenly became someone that can't write English that well. I am not sure what country LeMo is from. Part of the problem this guy has beside his attitude is his understanding of the English language. At the moment he is all over me because I asked him a question about an Evan Parker CD he posted. He posted it with the wrong label name so I thought it might have been a new Parker release or something I might have missed. He has taken it as I was mocking him. Actually he takes anything but positive reinforcement of what he says to be a personal attack of him, his family, country and religion if he has one.

So his response to my question was to go hunting for a mistake I made a week earlier. All he had to say was he made a mistake and life goes on. Instead he rather waste time hunting through my posts looking for a mistake in it. :wacko::wacko::wacko:

That tells you the type of person he is.

Generally he is an overgrown child who must have everything his way.

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

Here is his theory on why we all come to this board. This was his response to mine saying that we don't all have to agree with each others opinions but at least respect each others different views.

"I just don't know why I got all this "lecture" about "agreeing and desagreeing" and how to take it, as the rule of the game here and on other boards are mostly to AGREE or DESAGREE on the opinion of the others and even on the TASTE of the others.

We are not only exchanging peacefull ideas, comments and recommandations to each others. We are also (and some famous one happens on this board) figthing and trying to impose our vues against the vues of the "others".

I don't see in what way your attitude is different than mine.

You're just doing (and often), in your own sweet way (if I can called this like that) what you just reproach me.

Nothing more, maybe, but nothing less for sure. "

Oh no, another nonfunny imitator, the return of Gregore. Sheesh.

AAJ. . . it's so DULL compared to this board. I go and I just HOPE for something to post to, and there isn't much. It's a shame because it is more of an international community (maybe? does the fact that Sigmund and Gregore are from outer space boost this board's internationality?) and it really could be a better board than it is.

Just my feelings about the place these days.

Well, I had an offboard friendship with Greg for a long time that turned very sour because of my posting about distortions of facts about the pricing of SACDs that Greg had said on the board. . . . It's all a big shame.

Yeah, AAJ could get better in time. . . but by then this place will have outstripped it much further!

Guest Mnytime

Well the reason I think that AAJ doesn't really do it is because it comes off a dry and dull place with no sense of humor. Very few threads are started that are of any interest or last that long.

I think with the migration to that board and the way some of those that where already there reacted that most of the Blue Note people are overcompensating trying not to offend any of the older board members.

Also, even without the way some of the older board members reacted to the migration from Blue Note the Blue Note people feel guilty about taking over others board.

Guest Chaney

Those are good points, Lon and Ghost.

I think randissimo sumed it up well in saying that the AAJ "has a rather gray vibe about it" - for me, both figuratively speaking and visually, literally.

Moderator Mike should use some of that unused forum front page space to at least list the last post info, as:

May 25 2003, 07:59 PM

In: AAJ

By: jazzbo

May 25 2003, 07:22 PM

In: HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIM ALFREDSON!

By: Mnytime

Visually, the AAJ is like a house with no windows. Not very inviting.

Edited by Chaney

I can't seem to put my finger on why AAJ is less interesting. I guess it's a combination of many of the factors you all have been mentioning. I visit there regularly and post as well, but there just seems to be very little action - as opposed to here.

I've tried Jazz Corner as well. That place just doesn't seem to fit with my personality or something. :rolleyes:

Guest Chaney

Hey Ed, you should try posting about jazz over on the Steve Hoffman forum.

I posted news of the upcoming Jimmy Lyons live box set and my thread recieved all of SEVEN views. Seven VIEWS, not seven replies. It then sank like a rock.

Nice group of (mostly) guys but not (apparently) great lovers of jazz.

Mention the Beatles though and :excited: .

I had a gut feeling about this place from the git go. I ending up coming here exclusively almost from the beginning.

That said, I wouldn't have stayed obviously without so many great friends/posters showing up.

At first it was like seeing ghosts...."hey,...there's Lon." "hey, I think I just saw Jsnrgy post." "Look, it's old Rooster Ties." ect.(I could name all the old familiar faces).

Anyway, everyone just sort of ENDED up here. No master plan. But like they say, "Build it and they will come." Jim and co. just built a better moustrap and all the old cronies, and some fresh new faces, came.

This place really turned out nice, and somehow seems to even be bringing back REALLY old names from the BNBB. :D

Guest Mnytime

That tells you the type of person he is.

Generally he is an overgrown child who must have everything his way.

I read all the comments between you and mister LEMO and it seems like U R an insecure, passive-aggressive, pale faced muppet! :bwallace::bwallace::winky:

I am all that according to you but he is Mister LEMO? lmao

I really would work on your reading comprehension if that is what you think.

I also really hope your family and you don't depend on your being a Profiler.

The last thing I am is insecure about anything. I have been called many things but passive is not a word anyone would ever associate with me. Is pale faced muppet the best you can do?

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Chaney

Sheesh Mny! These, ahem, rather odd posters are drawn to you like flies, no?

Any pointers to those of us who might like to attract an online :wacko: ?

B)