AAJ

Soul Stream

I don't think his liver would be of any use to anyone and he'd be a big liability on the turnpike! He should stick to writing those clever little poems about his prostate problems, that seems to fullfill him.

Edited by Out2Lunch

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I post both here and on AAJ (more here than there), depending on what comes up that interests me. Wingy/Deep makes some interesting points, but I can't deal with his obnoxious side. His attacks on Chuck Nessa went off the Deep end. It seemed to me that he might have resented the fact that some people see Chuck as a kind of authority figure and wanted that position for himself. Anyway, I hope that Chuck will continue to post on AAJ (selfish reasons- I enjoy what his opinions and wit), though obviously he'll do whatever he chooses to do.

you don't have to really worry about people looking over your shoulder, ready to delete or alter your post in some way.

Your observation is not true.. I wrote a satirical entry on this bulletin board and it was censored by B3er. Then they sent an E-Mail and told me "to consider a different jazz bulletin board". I have never posted an entry on this bulletin board since then although I still browse occasionally.

Interesting, although I'm sure they had a good reason to delete or censor what you may have posted. You are the first person I've heard of who has actually been censored on this board. I've heard of threads being deleted and whatnot but only because their function was basically no longer serving a purpose (eg. Offering and Looking For threads).

Jimmy Gee is correct about this and I remember exactly when it happend and also thinking it was a bit odd that the thread was shut down because..........well, just scroll back through the political threads to April 10 and you'll find his. Kind of funny actually ------ picture Johnny, Catesta, Albertson, Weizen, Ron, Berigan, Moose, Alex, Dan & Conn500 all jammed into an apartment living room yelling, drinking, turning over furniture, smoking and fighting about political stuff 'till 4:00 am on a weekday and nothing happens........but then Jimmy puts his trash can out on the curb a day early and gets served with an eviction notice. ;):o

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

I check the other boards, too. I'd say 98% of my posts are here. AAJ is a neat site, but this board feels like home to me. Once I came over here, it was hard to go back.

I just wish we could get the word out about this board. I tried to post about Organissimo over there, but it seemed to offend some.

:rsmile:

I checked out the AAJ Board and though it had some interesting posts, it has a rather gray vibe about it..

Well, I don't think the content on the boards in question differ that much - apart from the political threads being a bit more active here. What I do see, however, is that occasionally interesting threads at AAJ does'nt create the activity they deserve. At the moment the administrator of their record review section (Nils) has asked for feedback on how that department is doing - quite an interesting topic IMO - but just a couple of posters have so far stated their opinion.

BTW, the latest new member at AAJ is the drummer of Organissimo.

Edited by pepe

In my case, because Mr Christiern who was the subject of my satire chose to formally complain about his portrayal, and because he had more postings than I did, I got axed. If I had been a longer standing member and had more postings then my thread would not have been closed. Some members are more equal than others.

I wish someone would refresh my memory. I have no recollection of a post satirizing me, much less of making a formal complaint about it. In fact, I have been called all sorts of insulting names on this board (and elsewhere), but I have never launched a single formal complaint about it.

I remember the thread clearly. My impressions at the time were that it was premptorily deleted. I agree that B-3er has the right to do these things; but if good sense is not employed in these kinds of decisions then the board will fall apart as people drift away.

We should try to limit censorship if it is at all necessary to have it. Just my thoughts.

Thanks

I did not defend Jimmy Gee at the time because I felt it was not my position to do so. I wasn't the one that was being satirized; Chris was. It was his duty to do so if he felt it necessary.

If someone satirized me as Jimmy had, and he was censored for it, I probably would have objected to the act of censorship. Still, it depends on how mean the post was. ;)

Edited by connoisseur series500

Your observation is not true.. I wrote a satirical entry on this bulletin board and it was censored by B3er. Then they sent  an E-Mail and told me "to consider a different jazz bulletin board". I have never posted an entry on this bulletin board since then although I still browse occasionally.

Um..huh? :blink:

Edit: Ah, it makes sense now.

Jimmy Gee said:

In my case, because Mr Christiern who was the subject of my satire chose to formally complain about his portrayal, and because he had more postings than I did, I got axed.

Is that how you see it? Not surprising I suppose.

Two seperate observations: I agree with Jimmy Gee that saying there is no censorship here isn't really true. Use3D's comments about his "fist of doom" and yanking threads certainly feel restrictive to me, even if he doesn't follow through on such threats. Still, no place is perfect, and at least for now, I prefer this board to any other. Randissimo's use of the word gray in describing AAJ is perfect.

Secondly, while it may be true that Wingy/Deep has a vast store of knowledge in the field of jazz, all I've ever seen from him is harrassment of Bertrand on the BNBB and incoherent posts on AAJ. I've never seen a post where he actually shares his knowledge; that being the case, I'm not impressed.

Posting relevant topics which can produce pertinent discussion is the best way to avoid the Fist of Doom. I only warn in threads when I feel discussion maybe be heading in the wrong direction or to offensive replies.

That 'satire' was nothing more than a flame aimed at Chris, the replies in such a thread would be meaningless. That's why it was closed, had nothing to do with post counts or formal complaints, and certainly nothing to do with that guy's.. ass. :excited:

Posting relevant topics which can produce pertinent discussion is the best way to avoid the Fist of Doom. I only warn in threads when I feel discussion maybe be heading in the wrong direction or to offensive replies.

Offensive replies I can see. REALLY offensive things, such as comments about using the American flag as a toilet seat certainly should be controlled. On the other hand, discussions "heading in the wrong direction"? That's what discussions do. They mutate, change, sometimes double back...who knows where they'll go or what might be learned? If you want to be a school marm, fine, but don't think you're providing a valuable service by controlling discussion. Discussion cannot be controlled; either it runs free or it's killed.

Discussion cannot be controlled; either it runs free or it's killed.

That about sums it up! And I'm here to do the killing...when necessary.

And to the other posts in this thread, all the feedback is very helpful and I enjoy reading it. Okay so my toilet seat remark was a little tongue-in-cheek but feel free to call me out on it. I don't bite..much.

All I'm saying if there's anything I can do to make the board better just mention it. As for Berigan's signature picture in that other thread I'm sorry some found it offensive. I guess my time on the internet is spend in seedier areas so I'm practically immune to semi-tasteful nudity. However Dan could brought this to Berigan's or my attention without involving the whole board. Another example of how that topic could have become nothing but a flame.

Basicly, don't wanna get censored? Think before you post. Even applies to Moderators. :g

- picture Johnny, Catesta, Albertson, Weizen, Ron, Berigan, Moose, Alex, Dan & Conn500 all jammed into an apartment living room yelling, drinking, turning over furniture, smoking and fighting about political stuff 'till 4:00 am on a weekday -

I'll bring the Ten High and the pickled pigs feet. :D