AAJ

Soul Stream

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris, FYI.

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...t=ST&f=14&t=678

Maybe the moderator actually locked the thread down because of your snappy photo?  You & Berigan should form an ad agency.

Thanks for that link, weizen. I had actually forgotten this. I didn't realize that it was ssupposed to be a "satire;" I found it neither funny nor offensive--a little childish, perhaps. Anyway, I most certainly never complained about it. Mr. Gee has jumped to the wrong conclusion.

I had, in fact forgotten about that photo--not a bad modification, if I may say so myself. :)

Posting relevant topics which can produce pertinent discussion is the best way to avoid the Fist of Doom. I only warn in threads when I feel discussion maybe be heading in the wrong direction or to offensive replies.

Offensive replies I can see. REALLY offensive things, such as comments about using the American flag as a toilet seat certainly should be controlled. On the other hand, discussions "heading in the wrong direction"? That's what discussions do. They mutate, change, sometimes double back...who knows where they'll go or what might be learned? If you want to be a school marm, fine, but don't think you're providing a valuable service by controlling discussion. Discussion cannot be controlled; either it runs free or it's killed.

Well stated, Moose. Matches my sentiments perfectly.

Big Ben says: Stay loose, censors! :bwallace:

If someone satirized me as Jimmy had, and he was censored for it, I probably would have objected to the act of censorship. 

Mr Christiern always advances an Ultra Liberal position, yet with this particular example of censorship he is silent. I do not want to place Mr Christiern in a position of hypocrisy therefore I expect that Mr Christiern will want to inform B3er that my thread of April 10 about Mr Christiern should be unlocked and that any further satirical items about Mr Christiern should not be censored. Anything less by Mr Christiern would be inconsistent in the light of his Ultra Liberalism.

What an infantile reaction.I agree with connoisseur's take on this, but B3er can do as he wishes with his board. It is not up to me or anyone else to tell him what to do--we all have the option of taking our pixels elsewwhere. Gee's attempt at satire was, IMO, innocuous and, as we see, eminently forgettable. I shall now proceed to forget it again. :g

If someone satirized me as Jimmy had, and he was censored for it, I probably would have objected to the act of censorship. 

Mr Christiern always advances an Ultra Liberal position, yet with this particular example of censorship he is silent. I do not want to place Mr Christiern in a position of hypocrisy therefore I expect that Mr Christiern will want to inform B3er that my thread of April 10 about Mr Christiern should be unlocked and that any further satirical items about Mr Christiern should not be censored. Anything less by Mr Christiern would be inconsistent in the light of his Ultra Liberalism.

What an infantile reaction.I agree with connoisseur's take on this, but B3er can do as he wishes with his board. It is not up to me or anyone else to tell him what to do--we all have the option of taking our pixels elsewwhere. Gee's attempt at satire was, IMO, innocuous and, as we see, eminently forgettable. I shall now proceed to forget it again. :g

A sensible position and judgement, Chris. :D

I'm still a bit curious as to why you're here at all, Jimmy. The percentage of your posts which just deals with the alleged hypocrisy of Christiern is certainly not decreasing.

Chris loves to go at it with swords drawn 24/7....I think he invented Jimmy just so he'd have someone to fight with late at night while the rest of his interlocutors are off in the corner repairing their chain mail shirts. :lol:

Me three. The problem, Jimmy, is that you came to this board and posted with what appeared to be the sole intent to (as B-3 put it originally) bait another board member into a spat. Your post was hardly satirical (at least by my definition) but it was mean-spirited and unnecessary. It has nothing to do with Chris being for or against censorship - or being the hypocrite about it as you claim him to be - but about B-3 trying to keep the board civil against pointless personal attacks by third parties not already involved in the conversation. :rolleyes:

I will dissent here, and hope that Jimmy does stick around.

Jimmy, your campaign to reinstate your post, however, is a foolhardy one. I personally found the post somewhat humourous, but then I wasn't the one being lampooned either.

Chris is a broadminded individual and he admitted that he didn't take any particular offense. It is unreasonable to expect him to begin a campaign to reinstate your thread. Chris has already stated that the whole incident has been forgotten as far as he's concerned. This should prove to you the man is not petty. He may be an "ultra-liberal" but he's got a right to his opinion and a right to express it. I have found him to be very honest and full of integrity though we have often argued over topics. Get to know him: he's a good guy.

As for our moderators and their right to delete the post: who can say or think bad of them after their stalwart defence of our freedom of speech during this whole Musicboy episode? We couldn't have better moderators.

There are a lot of good people here, Jimmy, if you stick around and communicate with them.

Thanks Paul,

The funny thing is that I never asked that this guy's alleged "satire" be removed--I think B3er did that on his own accord, which is how it should be. Even when I might have legitimate reason for suggesting a post's deletion (and the post in question is not such a case, IMO), it is not something I do.

BTW, B3er once pointed out that a thread I started could be considered a frivolous flame--he wanted to close it off. I completely agreed with him and asked that he delete it rather than lock it. He did--case closed. :)

Just for the record...

No one contacted me regarding Jimmy Gee's thread. I found the thread, as I mentioned in my post that closed it, to be a personal attack towards a member of this board with no other purpose that to bait that member into a fight.

Let me quote:

This now vacant position permits one to be viciously anti-American, to engage in the most ridiculous pro-Saddam Regime speculations, and to strut about pretending that somebody really cares what you think.

That's not satirical, that's downright mean. If this remark was made within the midst of an actual conversation, and not the subject of it's own thread, I probably would've let it stand, but considering that there was no other discussion around it, or reason for it other than, like I've said, to bait Chris, I found it to be tasteless and pointless and closed the topic.

Yes, censorship does exist here. But I think I've applied it quite judiciously. Before this I've had one complaint from PD, which I tried to resolve as peacefully as I could. I never heard from Jimmy Gee on this matter so I assumed the matter was closed. I guess old wounds heal slow.

Censorship (if you want to call it that) exists everywhere. No matter what board you go to on the net, unless you created it yourself, has someone else in charge. I've dished out my share of grief on the subject (particularly to Use3D), but it's obvious from the fact that I'm still here that I consider this to be an excellent, well moderated board. While I may not agree with every decision, the bottom line is I think you two are doing a good job.

Edited by Jazzmoose

I totally agree with Moose. I've expressed concern regarding board censorship in the past, but I think you all handle it without abusing the privilege.

Also, those few sentences of Jimmy Gee's which were quoted were certainly quite inflammatory. I guess I accept b3ers point of view. If the post had been part of a thread it might have been different; but to start a new thread with that... well, that's too much.

Two points here. This is a great board and while I post over at AAJ, I only have so much time and I always look at this one first. Perhaps something is missing over there. I also happen to like this software more. I just like the way this Board looks. I think this Board has a great life force or whatever (groping for the right words) going.

Other point, this latest controversy with Jimmy Gee just reinforces my long held belief that a political forum has no place on a jazz board and can only lead to acrimony. I barely look at it. I've beaten this point like a drum here sometimes and at the old BNBB but obviously I'm in the minority.

Other point, this latest controversy with Jimmy Gee just reinforces my long held belief that a political forum has no place on a jazz board and can only lead to acrimony. I barely look at it. I've beaten this point like a drum here sometimes and at the old BNBB but obviously I'm in the minority.

One thing to consider here, Brad, is that I've actually become better acquainted with and have become "friends" with several posters after initial disagreements on political topics.

Funny about human relationships: they often become strengthened through some degree of early friction. It's as if people often have to define their boundaries with each other first.

That's one reason why I like the "politics" threads. B)