Favorite Mosaic Guitar Box Set

Which Mosaic Guitar Set Do You Like Most  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mosaic gives a special section to its guitar sets, the only instrument which gets its own category (wonder why?). I've been considering the Joe Pass set, once my bank balance, er, balances, but would like to hear comments about any or all of the guitar sets.

I only have the Django, but plan to pick the others up latest when they hit the running-low-list. The Django, however, is a marvellous set!

Of course the Green/Clark and Getz/Raney stuff is great, too - you should get that in single discs, or in whatever form it is around, currently, as I did myself (much of the Getz is in the 3CD Complete Roost set, one of my favourite box sets).

Then not to forget the Desmond/Hall! (That's also in a box, from RCA, but it seems the single reissues have better remastering.)

ubu

Well since I am still working my way essentially chronologically (by release date, unless something begins running low) through the Mosaics, I don't have ANY of those listed yet. Django is coming soon, right after the Kid Ory.

However, of guitar material available on older OOP Mosaics, the Desmond/Hall would have to be my favorite. But then again I think those sessions are desert island material all around, with Jim Hall's playing just being one reason. Not music that changed the world, and not what you want to listen to when you want to be challenged or tweaked, but when you're in that state I call "heightened relaxation" there can be no better soundtrack.

I didn't vote as I have none of these. The Django is on my "must buy" list thanks to a sample tape a fellow board member was kind enough to send my way, and I'm darned curious about the Venuti/Lang. The Farlow is on my "get before it goes away" list, but that's quite a ways out. The others I haven't thought about yet. Probably depends on how my budget looks when they hit "running low"... ;)

The Grant Green Mosaic would have gotten my vote. It's the only Mosaic guitar box I have.

I did not purchase the other Mosaics because I have all the material I wanted from the other boxes from various sources. May chase the Tal Farlow set because I want all of that giant's output.