Buddy Collette

B. Goren.

Buddy Collette is my new discovery. Of course his name is not new for me.

I know his name for years and the first time when I listened to him was app 5 years ago when I bought Chico Hamilton's Mosaic set. To be honest, I didn’t like his playing so much in this set. I think Paul Horn who replaced him in this group sounds much better and (of course) also Dolphy who replaced Horn.

One of my last purchases was "A Tribute to Eric Dolphy: Joe Rosenberg's Affinity with Buddy Collette". Maybe the reason is that this session was recorded 35 years later but Collette sounds completely different: I think his sounds is better and he plays free, which I think is more suitable for him. His playing on * Fire Waltz* is amazing. Any other Buddy Collette recommendations? And what about Joe Rosenberg and Affinity? Are you familiar with their tribute to Ornette Coleman ?

A Tribute to Eric Dolphy

There's a couple of old LPs on Mercury/Emarcy (I think) by an all-flautist group under the title 'Swinging Shepherds'. I have one of these LPs with an 'At the Movies' theme. I wasn't totally bowled over at last hearing but will give it a spin this weekend. Paul Horn is also in the lineup but not sure if any of these have been issued on CD.

The covers of these are sort of neat as they have Buddy and co. dressed in monk's shawls looking as if they are about to do a monastery gig !

Edited by sidewinder

Only Collette I have as a leader so far is a pretty rare vinyl-only (I think) recording from 1957 on Challenge called EVERYBODY'S BUDDY. I like this one a lot. In addition to Collette in great form, there's Howard Roberts on guitar and Gerry Wiggins on piano. This would make a nice Fresh Sound CD reissue (since it's unlikely anyone more "legit" is going to ever get around to reissuing it, certainlly in the U.S.). I'm looking forward to exploring more.

There's an album by Howard Rumsey and the Lighthouse All Stars from 1954 [Oboe/Flute] (took them a long time to think up the title I reckon ;) ) which has just four tracks that include Buddy Collette but playing alto flute I think. Together with Bob Cooper on oboe and cor anglais - Bud Shank plays flute on the other tracks. Interesting stuff but not free if that's what you're looking for Bentsy.

f69650nu38h.jpg

What an incredible musician from head to toe, anything he touched and blew into.

I really like his work with Chico and all the OJC items I've heard! And that challenge lp. And a nice one on VSOP with Irene Krall. And. . . well he hasn't disappointed me YET! (Don't think he will).

You would think he was from Eastern Europe as little attention he gets! ^_^

What an incredible musician from head to toe, anything he touched and blew into.

I really like his work with Chico and all the OJC items I've heard! And that challenge lp. And a nice one on VSOP with Irene Krall. And. . . well he hasn't disappointed me YET! (Don't think he will).

You would think he was from Eastern Europe as little attention he gets! ^_^

Alright, let some of us eastern europeans jump in here.... I only know his playing with Chico (the Mosaic), and I really really enjoy it!

It's also him who does the flute playing on the Mingus in Monterey album, right? Great stuff, too!

Will have to check out some of the discs mentioned here.

ubu

I think there's a cd available of him discussing the history of jazz in L.A.

Good luck finding it, but if you do, grab THIS ONE.

Valuable and fascinating

That's it. An aural autobiography.

Buddy Collette was around long before he hit w/Chico's group. He was one of the mainstays of the whole Central Avenue scene, a running buddy (no pun intended) of Mingus back then, and as such, he does have some stories to tell!

• 1 year later...

up for this rare nugget.

Buddy Collette (alto, flute),

Oscar Valdambrini (trumpet),

Gianni Basso (tenor sax),

Renato Sellani (piano),

Giorgio Azzolini (bass),

Gianni Cazzola (drums).

Collette is great, but those Italians ain't nothing to sneeze at either. Azzolini is a beautiful bass player.

thanks for the link , nice session

As I am sure many of you are aware Buddy Collette

had a major impact on Charles Mingus' development

in his early years in Los Angeles.

Mingus talks quite a bit about Buddy in his book

entitled "Beneath the Underdog". Unfortunately

I would say that the better part of discretion would

have dictated some of this discussion would have been

best left private. But then the author never did hold

anything back, did he????????

A fascinating read nonetheless. Some call it fact,

others see it as fiction. You be the judge............

Don

I first encountered him on the Conte Candoli lp "Little Band Big Jazz" at the beginning of the '60s.

I had some phone conversations with Mr. Collette while working on the Uptown Mingus project. He is a very bright, articulate, thoughtful man. I have nothing but warm thoughts about him.

The audio bio/interview is wonderful.

Thanks Buddy.

• 4 years later...

for once it's not chewy who comes up with a Buddy Collette question...

i am listening to two compilations of early 60s italian recordings by Collette right now, wonderful music, these two

http://www.deezer.com/de/#music/buddy-collette/the-soft-touch-of-buddy-collette-275633

http://www.deezer.com/de/#music/bob-cooper-buddy-collette/milano-blues-287254

(don't know where in the world this can be played, emusic has them as well...) this site

http://www.geocities.jp/mmlg888/BuddyCollette.html

helped me to get together almost all the discographical info, yet i am still wondering about the following tracks...

Softly as in a morning sunrise, That's all, The power of winds, Eh Ho, I wished on the moon, Miss Helen... anybody has an idea? thank you!

Niko, this is what you"re looking for... (from the liner notes of the 'The Soft Touch of Buddy Collette' CD on GMG...

Gianni Basso, cl, ts, Collette, cl, as, Renato Sellani, p, poss. Franco Cerri, g, George Joyner, b, Jimmy Pratt, dr.

Rome, March 10, 1961

- I Wished on the Moon

- Miss Helen

same but no g., Norman Shobey, perc.* added.

Rome, March 20, 1961

- Softly as in a Morning Sunrise

- That's All

- Eh Ho*

- The Power of Winds*

Niko, this is what you"re looking for... (from the liner notes of the 'The Soft Touch of Buddy Collette' CD on GMG...

Gianni Basso, cl, ts, Collette, cl, as, Renato Sellani, p, poss. Franco Cerri, g, George Joyner, b, Jimmy Pratt, dr.

Rome, March 10, 1961

- I Wished on the Moon

- Miss Helen

same but no g., Norman Shobey, perc.* added.

Rome, March 20, 1961

- Softly as in a Morning Sunrise

- That's All

- Eh Ho*

- The Power of Winds*

cool, thank you, indeed that's it exactly (so they are more takes from the same sessions which apparently are not on the original LPs...)