Inexpensive cardio workout equipment.....

I am looking for some inexpensive but effective cardio equipment...I bought a highly rated treadmill a couple years ago but it crapped out pretty quickly, so I think I will go for one of those bikes or an elliptical machine. I don't need the bells or whistles, just a machine that is reliable and where the exercise motion is comfortable.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Can't help you but please indulge me for taking this moment to promote the use of a gym for cardio activity:

1) Watching the beautiful bodies (whichever gender turns you on) while you're pedaling in a fixed position that allows you to concentrate visually;

2) Listening to your favorite jazz via the headset attached to your CD player undisturbed by any sudden phone calls (unless you're foolish enough to clip your cell phone to your shorts);

3) Because you've taken the trouble to travel to the gym, you are more likely to maximize the time spent on the equipment than if you were at home where any disturbance or distraction can throw you off your workout objective;

4) No extraneous equipment in the house taking up space and debeautifying your home;

5) No maintenance of the equipment.

Obviously, I do quite a bit of cardio at my local gym which is about a mile and a half away and very inexpensive also.

But here's wishing you good luck if your heart's set on getting your own equipment.

Yeah, a bike's the way to go.

If you need indoors, find a used Nordic-track (they don't make 'em anymore). I bought mine for $100 and it's been pretty sturdy. That said, I'd much rather be out on my bike. But winter can be pretty cold in PA.

The Sharper Image sells compact cardio equipment for about $100 a piece. They have cross trainers, stairmasters (steppers) and peddlers. They are all designed to fit in a small closet, and they all seem reasonably sturdy. They do require a small amout of coordination, however, as they eliminate the support devices in order to save space.

I'd go with the bike. Or at least I have. Cheaper is the jump rope, and it's amazing how fast the heart gets going with that little toy...kids are amazing! If the jump rope is too much, there's always a cinder block and step aerobics, but it takes twenty minutes or so to get the heart pumping hard with that.