Fantasy reissues

bertrand

Occasionally, Fantasy will combine two LPs on one CD and leave out a track for space reasons. I am trying to make a list of such instances (if only to know what I'm missing!).

Note: the purpose of this thread is not to comment on the pros and cons of this practice - this has already been done elsewhere.

Here are some I know of - feel free to add to this list.

Thanks,

Bertrand.

Hank Mobley Messages - 'Alternating Current' is missing

Harold Mabern Wailin' - one track missing

Julian Priester/Walter Benton - one track missing ('Just Friends'?)

Willis Jackson?

Woody Shaw Blackstone Legacy - two tracks edited

Booker Ervin with Dexter Gordon's "Settin' The Pace" two-fer omitted one track, "Groovin' at the Jamboree", which was subsequently put out on a single CD of "The Trance"... with 2 other tracks that were already on "Settin' The Pace"!

I have yet to buy "The Trance". It's my little protest to Fantasy. They could have easily put this unissued track, which is only around 7 minutes long, on several other subsequent CD reissues they chose not to. I would be less upset if they hadn't E-mailed me back when "Settin' The Pace" came out to say that the missing track wouold be included in "a future Booker reissue". Little did I know that it would be "The Trance"! :)

Later,

Kevin

• 1 year later...

The flip side of the Riverside 45 rpm "Soft and Furry" by Johnny Griffin was "Guns of Navarone" (I assume the movie theme by Dimitri Tiomkin). Supposedly it was from the same sessions as the album "Change of Pace". It was not included as a bonus track on the OJC CD.

Has this track ever been issued elsewhere? Put it on the orphan list!

Mike

The flip side of the Riverside 45 rpm "Soft and Furry" by Johnny Griffin was "Guns of Navarone" (I assume the movie theme by Dimitri Tiomkin). Supposedly it was from the same sessions as the album "Change of Pace". It was not included as a bonus track on the OJC CD.

Has this track ever been issued elsewhere? Put it on the orphan list!

Mike

Of more interest (at least to me) is the alternate of Konitz's Yesterdays. I have the 78 and the Konitz solos are very different and Miles comes in at the end of one, but not the other.

Of more interest (at least to me) is the alternate of Konitz's Yesterdays. I have the 78 and the Konitz solos are very different and Miles comes in at the end of one, but not the other.

IIRC the latest version of the OJC reissue CD includes both takes.

It's not there at emusic, which is the limited edition OJC. At least that's what the pic's of...

IIRC the latest version of the OJC reissue CD includes both takes.

It's not there at emusic, which is the limited edition OJC. At least that's what the pic's of...

You're right - I should have looked it up first. Is this take listed in the Prestige discography? It is not included in the Miles Davis Chronicle!

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of Tiny Grimes - the OJC CD of Calling the Blues does not have the two additional tracks from that session issued on a later compilation LP.

As far as adding bonus tracks is concerned, the OJCs are pretty inconsistent. Most of the times they include some, in the case of a Gil Mellé reissue it was a complete session, but often some are missing.

I would have added the tracks issued on the Booker Ervin LP Groovin' HIgh to the respective sessions.

The Kenny Dorham This Is The Moment does not include the blues tune Optional from these sesssions.

What I find equally annoying is the fact that sometimes they do separate OJC CDs where two related LPs would fit on one twofer CD without problems: I just burned me both Herbie Mann LPs with Bobby Jaspar on one 72 minute CD - a perfect twofer, but no, they reissued it as two OJC CDs. Same with some Teddy Charles material.

On the contrary, the Gil Mellé or James Moody material was reissued in pefect form ....

One more for the Orphan list: One track left off the twofer of Patrice Rushen's Prelusion/Before the dawn.

And regarding those other Tiny Grimes tracks, that compilation "Guitar Soul" has never seen CD reissue, correct? (Not to be confused with the Prestige album "Guitar Soul" by Billy Butler, which has been reissued as part of a 2-fer CD.)

The compilation LP had other folks: Burrell/Galbraith and Bill Jennings (which means the Bill Jennings & Jack McDuff 2-fer CD didn't include the one remaining track from those sessions).

I'll probably ask about that LP's details elsewhere soon.

Mike