Enrico Pieranunzi

JohnS

I don't spend a lot of time with European jazz, there's more than enough of the US product to cope with, but a friend has just introduced me Pieranunzi's "Play Morricone 2". This is great stuff, fine backing from Marc Johnson and Joey Baron and it has excellent sound. I'm told that there's more by this group and that it's worth seeking out.

I'd recommend it to lovers of the art of the piano trio.

Another excellent trio date by Pieranunzi is the Japanese AlfaJazz 'The Chant of Time' release (with Marc Johnson).

And highly recommended also is the wonderful Fellini/jazz album on CamJazz (with Kenny Wheeler, Chris Potter, Charlie Haden and Paul Motian) playing themes (mostly by Nino Rota) from Fellini films, all arranged by Pieranunzi.

I can't find anything special in his playing. many years ago I bought the duet he recorded with Chet Baker and beleive me, nothing to write home about. Not my cup of tea.

I agree. I never understood the enthusiasm of some of our (common) friends. His playing is a little too "pretty" for my taste

Having said that, I find the first Morricone quite enjoyable.

Pieranunzi is a wonderful pianist.

I can't find anything special in his playing. many years ago I bought the duet he recorded with Chet Baker and beleive me, nothing to write home about. Not my cup of tea.

Maybe I should rephrase that sentence. I know nothing about piano playing so cannot comment on how wonderful or unwonderful he is. I'm not much of one for jazz players as athletes either.

Pieranunzi is a pianist whose playing I enjoy immensely.

As for pretty...well, I'm a softy. I like pretty.

• 8 years later...

Am at this moment listening to a new Pieranunzi issue on CamJazz, "Live at The Village Vanguard". Recently issued, but recorded almost three years back, with Marc Johnson and Paul Motian.

Eight tracks, half Pieranunzi originals. Gonna hafta hear it a couple of times before I decide to award it any number of stars, but I've liked his work in the past.

I guess this will be a partner to the earlier CD with Johnson and Joe LaBarbera, also at the VV, also linking Pieranunzi to the venue, and to Bill Evans' work there.

I have a large number of CDs by Pieranunzi as leader as well as sideman. Here are some i particularly like.

Special Encounter - Cam Jazz

Ballads - Cam Jazz

Live In Paris - Challenge

Infant Eyes - Challenge

Alone Together - Challenge

New Lands - Timeless

Charlie Haden - Silence - Soul Note

Charlie Haden - First Song - Soul Note

Lee Konitz & Enrico Pieranunzi - Solitudes

I should also indicate that there have been a few Pieranunzi recordings that I didn't care for

and disposed of after listening to them a couple of times.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another taste of Enrico, not something I would characterize as "pretty", by the way. It's his New American Trio, featuring bassist Scott Colley and drummer Antonio Sanchez. It was recorded at the Cantina Bentivoglio in Bologna. You can select 720p HD video for best viewing.