• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DUKE ELLINGTON AND HIS ORCHESTRA

Featuring Paul Gonsalves (OJC-623)

Recorded May 1st 1962

Bought this through Fantasy.

Great album if you want to hear a lot of Gonsalves solos. I usually play 2 songs over and over; Caravan and Happy Go Lucky Local.

For whatever reason, sound is just ok and it's a mono release.

Since I was playing these I thought I'd mention them. Probably more of a collectors item, but still available at Acoustic Sounds and other titles from the series can be found HERE.

New Faces, New Sounds

Frank Foster Quintet Blue Note 5043

Howard McGhee, Volume 2

Howard McGhee Blue Note 5024

Toshiba EMI(Japan) 5000 10 inch series.

Very quiet vinyl with great packaging. Nice full bodied mono sound that lets the music come through quite nicely for the time period. I think I notice a couple 'drop outs'.

Very good tenor and trombone on the Foster, which is a killer LP in my opinion. I love the mix of ballads and bop. As always, YMMV.

Wolff,

Great idea for a thread. Tonight I'll add one that I'm listening to: Kenny Dorham "Afro-Cuban." It's a Classic Records re-issue in mono that I got from Red Trumpet for $30.

The line-up on this is killer: Dorham, Jay Jay Johnson, Hank Mobley, Horace Silver, Art Blakey, with congos on side one by Carlos Valdes. Nothing too unusual here, just solid playing with some interesting rythms underneath that make it a little different than other Blue Notes.

Jerome Richardson 'Going To The Movies' (United Artists). Never got around to buy a copy when the original UAs were available. I was afraid I would not like it.

Then when it went OP I wished I had gotten it.

And then the LP reissue came out . I love this album. Superb playing by Richardson and the accompanying musicians (Les Spann, Richard Wyands, Henry Grimes, Grady Tate) impress all.

I recently received, after much anticipation, the vinyl reissue of Booker Little's self-titled album on Time Records. Although the music on this album is amazing, the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired. Can anyone compare this one to the original vinyl? Or even the CD reissue?

This needs further discussion, but(I think) the re-issues you see of Columbia, Epic, Time, Atlantic, United Artist and Blue Note, that are currently available at about $10, are done by Rhino/Scorpio. The sound has been noted by some to be poor, and I keep putting off trying some.

Let me guess, a bright, thin sound, lacking accurate tones.

I did read one post saying one of the Atlantic's sounded good. The Atlantic titles are all that interest me, since I have few and there are many titles available.

I do not expect great sound, but am hoping they will be acceptable to my ears.

Definitely, look elsewhere for the better, all analog re-issues.

Let me guess, a bright, thin sound, lacking accurate tones.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up, wolff. The worst thing about it, though, are the drums...sounding as they though they were recorded in another room...with the door closed.

I'm not that big a stickler for sound quality, either. This one just really jumped out at me. I mean, it's listenable...but...

And it's such good music! That's why it's such a disappointment...

Red Rodney: 1957 Classic Records re-issue. Available at Acoustic Sounds.

Recorded by Rudy Van Gelder for Signal. With Tommy Flanagan on piano, Ira Sullivan on tenor sax and second trumpet, Oscar Pettiford's bass, and Philly Joe Jones and Elvin Jones splitting time behind the drums.

Star Eyes, You Better Go Now, Stella By Starlight, Red Arrow, Box 2000, Ubas

I've had this for a number of years. Doesn't seem to be good seller, as it's still available and has not been re-done on 200 gram vinyl.

The music is ok, but nothing special. Seems to lack a coherent drive or groove that I like. Overall, it's a nice, laidback date and the ballads are quite nice.

For those into sound, for a recording from 1957, it's super. Clean, with good fidelity. Stereo spread is very left, right and middle. YMMV

Soulville

Ben Webster

Label: Speakers Corner(Import on heavy, dead quiet vinyl)

Personnel: Oscar Peterson, piano; Ray Brown, bass; Herb Ellis, guitar; Stan Levey, drums; and Ben Webster, tenor saxophone.

Available at Red Trumpet and other vendors.

If you need to add some more Webster to your shelf and do not want to find/pay for a mint original, this would be one to look at getting. Has brought me much pleasure. Warm analog sound. I do notice a bit of distortion on the guitar in one or two spots, but that does not stop me from playing this one often.

Just received reissues of Walt Dickerson's 'This Is Walt Dickerson!' and 'To My Queen'. After having listened to 'This Is...', I can report that it sounds surprisingly good. No idea who did these reissues, as they are not OJC's. Any ideas?

(Picked these up from Dusy Groove for $8.99 each.)

Just received reissues of Walt Dickerson's 'This Is Walt Dickerson!' and 'To My Queen'. After having listened to 'This Is...', I can report that it sounds surprisingly good. No idea who did these reissues, as they are not OJC's. Any ideas?

Any fine print?

What was original label?

Miles Davis: Relaxin'

Fantasy Original Jazz Classics(OJC) I'm assuming this is still available most places for about $10.

To my ears, this has very acceptable sound. I feel no urge to upgrade to the original, which is probably nice. Even a bit of depth which is missing in some re-issues. Man, Coltrane's sound is big and lively and nicely up-front. Your mileage may vary, but I hope not.

Miles Davis: Relaxin'

Fantasy Original Jazz Classics(OJC) I'm assuming this is still available most places for about $10.

To my ears, this has very acceptable sound. I feel no urge to upgrade to the original, which is probably nice. Even a bit of depth which is missing in some re-issues. Man, Coltrane's sound is big and lively and nicely up-front. Your mileage may vary, but I hope not.

The sound on the Prestige original is incredible. The Relaxin' and Cookin' albums by the Miles Davis quintet were the ones which brought to my attention the name of Rudy Van Gelder. I had access to the Prestige releases much before I managed to get Blue Notes, back in the fifties when these LPs were not available in France or at prices I could not afford.

The sound on those Miles quintet Prestiges have that you-are-there quality that I still long for!

I know the sound on the OJC is good but it just does not match what was in the grooves of the originals.

I've got the 'Relaxin' etc. series on the yellow label Bergenfield New Jersey pressings and they sound pretty nice. Compared to the 'Chronicle' LPs most definitely a better soundstage and presence. The one penalty you pay may be a bit extra noise due to the age of the pressings but this is a small price to pay. Paul Chambers' solid bass also seems to come across more coherently. What great music these four LPs contain, truly timeless stuff...

Edited by sidewinder

Any opinions on the Speakers Corner 180 gm Impulse! reissues ?

I am tempted by Mingus' BLACK SAINT & THE SINNER LADY. I have a 70's green-label ABC/Impulse reissue - thin vinyl.

Do not have it, but I like the Speakers Corner LP's I have(mostly classical).

Have you tried the Impulse titles GRP/MCA did a few years back? They were pretty good in my book and you may be able to find a copy for less than the SC.

Any fine print?

What was original label?

Original label was New Jazz. No fine print anywhere that I can see that would shed any light on who reissued these. It's a mystery...

I'm enjoying them nonetheless! ^_^

Slightly off topic, I traveled north to Austin and picked up a new LP @ Waterloo Records - the Great Jazz Trio (Hank Jones/Richard Davis?Elvin Jones) SOMEDAY MY PRINCE WILL COME, a Japanese pressing recorded in 2002 and released on the 88 Records label. Because my amplifier is fried, I went to two stereo stores that still understand vinyl and auditioned two systems (Naim/Rega/Dynavector/Neat) and (Reson/DNM/Crimson/ATC) - appears to be a great LP.

Slightly off topic, I traveled north to Austin and picked up a new LP @ Waterloo Records - the Great Jazz Trio (Hank Jones/Richard Davis?Elvin Jones) SOMEDAY MY PRINCE WILL COME, a Japanese pressing recorded in 2002 and released on the 88 Records label. Because my amplifier is fried, I went to two stereo stores that still understand vinyl and auditioned two systems (Naim/Rega/Dynavector/Neat) and (Reson/DNM/Crimson/ATC) - appears to be a great LP.

No more tubes? :D

Feel free to post about a couple Venus titles. I have not gotten around to getting any.

Heads up vinyl addicts: new Japanese Blue Notes (180 gm pressings!) including True Blue are available at Acoustic Sounds (www.acousticsounds.com), maybe elsewhere too. Other titles by Jackie McLean, Mobley, even J. Griffin's Congregation lp! These are not cheap at $49.95, but they should sound terrific and are usually very limited issues. :excited: