Anyone here have this book?

I don't have it, but here's more info:

THE BLUE NOTE BOOK: A Definitive Edition Japanese publication: 504 pages

$40.00

The text of this book is in Japanese, BUT for ALL Jazz Record COLLECTORS the most important parts are in English: A COMPLETE 12 inch album NUMERICAL LISTING (with each album's cover pictured), PERSONNEL OF EACH ALBUM'S SESSION, TUNE LISTINGS, and A LEADER INDEX in the back. (Again, all in English.) There are also several pages of cover reproductions in color, a complete listing (w/o pictures) of Blue Note 78s, 10 inch albums, Blue Note CDs & a complete listing (w/o pictures) of the Japanese Something Else label. It's a very sturdy soft-bound book which I know will hold up to use over time. I still regularly use the previous editions of this series (1986 and 1992) in my jazz store setting.

http://www.berigansjazz.com/website/special.html

http://www.redtrumpet.com/books/item.php?i...&sid=1145456643 ($37)

I have the original (1986) edition. It's one of the jazz books I refer to most often. I'm sure I am missing a lot by not reading a single word in Japanese but there is enough text in english plus plenty of photos and cover albums to make it more than worthwhile!

It's a nice reference when you don't need the depth of a full dicography. Purty pictures too, though not up to the standards of the Blue Note dover photo books - just enough of a peek to let you know what you're looking for when you plough through the bins at your local LP emporium. Wish I read Japanese.

Is this related to the one I have? Seems to be published by Jazz Critique in 1984. It's 384 pages and has a middle section in color following p.96.

While I refer to the Cuscuna/Ruppli book much more frequently, there are some nice different things in this book - all the cover photos for one, but also Blue Note advertisements, label photos, some other things like a map of NYC identifying Blue Note offices, etc.

Mike

Michael, mine's bigger! Sorry :rolleyes:

The one I have is the Jazz Critique Special Edition 1987 vol. 2.

'The Complete Blue Note Book Tribute To Alfred Lion'. 504 pages plus pink frontcover showing the blue and white Lexington Ave. label of Lee Morgan BLP 1538. The color Jacket Gallery comes after page 104.