What are your 10 most sought after CD's?

Johnny E

I've seen some people looking forever for discs that have been sitting collecting dusk in my local record shop on many occasions. I think rarity depends on location. If I could get people's top 10 most sought after CD's I could get a better understanding of which CD's are truely the most rare.

Thanks

Edited by Johnny E

Well, I finally found one about 6 months ago, but Charles Tolliver's "Compassion" was a real bitch to find. I got mine off eBay, from a guy in the U.K. - and this was the only time I ever bid on anything from a country other than the U.S. or Canada.

compassion.gif

CHARLES TOLLIVER (trumpet)

NATHEN PAGE (guitar) -- Note: His name is often misspelled as "Nathan Page"

STEVE NOVOSEL (bass)

ALVIN QUEEN (drums)

Unlike all of Tolliver's other Strata East titles, which have been released on CD recently (late 90's) on Charley, "Compassion" (which is also on Strata East) has only ever been released on CD in the early, early 90's, on (I think) Bellaphone (sp?), in Germany.

I think I paid about $30 for the used one I got (including postage from the U.K.), but it was worth it. A great album - if anyone ever sees it, by all means pick it up - for anything less than $20, for sure.

I'll have to think about a list of "10-most-wanted", and get back to you...

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Since even Mr. Tanno has now failed, I am just about losing hope that I will find Tango in Harlem by the dear departed Teddy Edwards.

Unless of course some kind person is willing to do something off-board ;)

Dan

Here it is. But are you actually willing to pay for it? Or is this another hardest to find for under $12 thread?

We'll know if you order it - it will go out of stock!!

Here is my current wish list of OOP or hard to find (or maybe not) CDs:

- Wayne Horvitz - Nine below zero (Sound aspects, 1986)

- London Jazz Composers Orchestra - Double trouble (Intakt, 1989)

- Gerry Mulligan & Chet Baker - At Carnegie Hall (the Sony Mastersound release)

- Joe Harriott - Free Form (Jazzland, 1960)

- Miles Davis - No blues (Antwerpen 1967 bootleg)

- Khan Jamal - Balafon Dance (CIMP, 2002 but hard to find)

- Dave Liebman - Trio+1 (Owl, 1988)

Any help appreciated :) Many of them are listed on GEMM.com , but I still try to find them for reasonable (<25$) prices.

And hey, searching for rare CDs is even more fun than having them :)

Suddenly I remembered that Andrew!!! is one of my most sought after CDs.

Other than that,

the two Walt Dickerson/Sun Ra duets are way up there

Larry Young Mothership

I don't know. I haven't been searching much lately. Have you seen any of these?

Unfortunately, Andrew!!! has never been released on CD. It's easily obtainable on vinyl however and is well worth seeking out. Great playing by John Gilmore!

the two Walt Dickerson/Sun Ra duets are way up there

Hey, impossible, You talkin' about the disc under Walt Dickerson's name from 1978, called "Visions"??? - on Steeplechase??

I didn't think that was all that rare. I've got one (or at least I had one at one time). If I can find it (meaning if I didn't trade it off), I'll give it a spin, and see if it's something I still think I need. It was quite nice, what I remember of it - but I suspect it's not something I'll spin enough to merit keeping. (Like I said, I can't remember if I still have it or not.)

This was the only Dickerson/Ra duets disc I could think of, since "Impressions of a Patch of Blue" has bass and drums too.

That's a darn good price on the McIntyre set. (I don't love it enough to have paid full price for it when it came out, but I found one used for $16 or so, and felt it was worth picking up for that price.)

NOTE: There were/are a few other slightly rare BN titles, at that same McIntyre link provided above. I won't list them here, but they're all listed right on the first page that the link points to, album covers and everything. Check it out!!!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

This might raise a few eyebrows or start a few chuckles, but I've been looking for a copy of Tommy Smith's Paris forever. Fortunately, a fellow BNBBer set me up with a burned copy, but I's still like to find an original.

Anybody spot one, let me know ;)

Barry Harris, BREAKIN' IT UP (out in Japan, I think)

I have the Harris issue on Argo (UCCC) in the mini-lp format. It is brief at about 32 minutes, but classic Harris, so well worth it if you can find it. And as with most Japanese imports, the sound is pristine and clear.

John B, where did you get that picture of Hamid Drake that you're using for your Avitar? It looks like it's from the performance that he did with Fred Anderson in Seattle a few years back.

It was taken at the Vision Festival 2002. I got it off of One Final Note. It is the best solo picture I have seen of him online.

• 1 year later...