Sonny Red

Aggie87

I recently picked up Sonny's Out of the Blue TOCJ, and really enjoy it. Looking at AMG, I discovered his other BN release, Two Altos. However, the COMPLETE AMG review is:

"With Art Pepper on alto sax." :huh:

How is Two Altos? Who else plays on this, and is it available on CD? Any other Sonny Red recommendations? I've already got Byrd's Mustang and Slow Drag.

couw -

This is the listing I was referring to - Sonny Red - Two Altos. It's probable it's the same as what you're referring to, but there is virtually no information provided. Down at the bottom there is a reference to Blue Note, with the number "6069" listed. This is normally where issue numbers are provided, but I don't know enough about numberings to know whether this is legit or not.

And thanks Dan - That OJC looks worthwhile too, and has the side benefit of feedin' my Grant Green jones...

-Erik

Edited by Aggie87

Yes!

And does anyone know if his appearance on Bobby Timmons "Live at the Connecticut Jazz Part" was his last? Or was it Bobby's last? Anyway, just got that one a couple of weeks ago and I was wondering where it fit in since there's not much info on the cover.

Edited by Dan Gould

Stupid Question Alert!!

For those who alphabetize their collections. Where do you put Sonny Red? I've been putting him under "K" for Kyner, but I've put him under both "S" and "R" in the past. I guess I get all anal retentive about it because if someone is looking through the "K" section they won't see any mention of his last name. It just seems out of place.

Thank you for your patience with my stupid question. :rolleyes:

Edited by AfricaBrass

:

How is Two Altos? Who else plays on this, and is it available on CD? Any other Sonny Red recommendations? .

You should keep an eye on your German eBay. A couple of months back there was a guy who relisted a re-mastered copy twice (possibly three times?) over and didn't get any bids. He was asking something like $18 for it.....but maybe the next time he tosses it back in the ring it'll have a bargain basement pricetag attached?????

What about Red's mid-60's work with Donald Byrd? As I recall, opinion about this period was rather divided on that old--you know, that other board where we all used to hang.

The technical criticisms were somewhat justified, but I just don't give a damn. I like the guy's feel.

Sue me! ;)

I like Sonny's playing on the Byrd sessions (I think there are 4, right? I got Blackjack, the recent RVG and Mustang ).

Then Out of the Blue: Nice cover! And on the Conoisseur issue there are several worthwile additional tracks.

And a nice co-lead album with Cliff Jordan was included on a recent Prestige CD (together with another Clifford date). Can't recall the title, is it Images? (or was this the title of the original Jordan/Red issue?) Both were Jazzland LPs. Godd stuff!

ubu