Spanish Blue Note Series

bebopbob

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a new catalog in the mail on Tuesday from Jazzmessangers. On the cover, they have a picture of the cover to "Basria" above which says "Blue Note offer still available this month. This CD + 96 titles more offered in our first catalog. Price E 5.95, For a 10 CD average order or more the price will be E5.50!!!" They are featuring a promotion of Arbors, Roulette and Argo jazz discs as well.

I don't know what I was thinking but I was blowing this whole Spanish Blue Note thing off. Then I looked at the titles and the price and came to my senses.

So, yesterday I go to the Blue Moon website and start loading up the cart. True Blue, Curtis Fuller vol 3, Boss Horn, The Cooker. . . suddenly the web site goes away and I haven't been able to get back on since!!

How else can I get these wihtout "habla espanola"

Their "Down To Earth", by Freddie Roach, is definitely trying to be the TOCJ version. I got a copy of this through eBay a couple of years back. It has distortion on one track which, I'm told, is not present on its real Japanese counterpart. This is my only experience with these Spanish BNs. It would not be fair to conclude that other items might have problems, but I would be very wary about getting any more.

Picked up my (possibly) final order today.

Turning Point - Lonnie Smith

Curtis Fuller Vol 3

The Cooker -Lee Morgan

Love Bug- Ruben Wilson

Detroit/New York Junction - Thad Jones

All of these are TOCJ's except for the Wilson title, which was I beleive the same remastering as the Rare Groove US Edition

All of em sound as good as they should be, which is to say, extreeemely good. Anone with any reservations regarding this series hould re-examine their Priorities!!! :party:

OK, I guess I'll answer my own question. The web site now indicates POPPIN' is temporarily out of stock.

I got Boss Horn, True Blue, Curtis Fuller Vol 3, The Cooker, Up and Down, and Poppin'

I didn't get Basra which I should have so I might as well get another 5 or so.

I'm thinking about the Reuben Wilson, Freddie Roach, Lonnie Smith, Basra, and maybe some Ike Quebec

Anyone with recs about these or others I'm overlooking that are a must?

• 2 months later...

The TOCJ-marked discs are absolute winners sound-wise.

I took me just a few seconds on every disc to recognize the clean full-range and undistorted sound that is a trademark of these japanese remasterings from the early to mid 90's.

It would be nice to have a complete list of the spanish TOCJs. Confirmed so far:

- Lee Morgan - The Cooker

- Curtis Fuller - Vol.3

- Horace Parlan - Up and down

- Tina Brooks - True Blue

- Pete LaRoca - Basra

- Hank Mobley - Poppin'

Have we definitely confirmed that those Spanish Blue Note's with TOCJ markings are in fact TOCJ remastering?

Add Thad Jones - "Detroit - New York Junction" to the list of those with TOCJ markings (TOCJ-1513)

BTW: they're in the bins at DUSTY GROOVE. I was there 9/15/2003 and bought a couple

I bought "Basra" several weeks ago from Dusty Groove's website. I don't know for sure if it's a true TOCJ, but on the disk it has the TOCJ number and says that it's made in Japan. It sounds fine, better than my old LP.

Edited by SEK

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Picked up four of these today at dustygroove. They are already out of the Curtis Fuller again, but added the Tina Brooks, Leo Parker, Blue Mitchell, and Donald Byrd. I believe these are supposed to be the TOCJ versions.

Looking forward to hearing these hard to find titles. Wake up Blue Note!!!

Thanks Board Members for alerting me to this option.

I recently saw the Spanish Blue Note TRUE BLUE fro $25 on half.com.

At least they mentioned it was the Spanish release, but somebody's trying to take advantage of a poor unknowing soul. I believe TRUE BLUE is actually still available from Blue Moon which makes this even more disgusting.