Miles Davis & John Coltrane Stockholm 1963?

Peter

Watched the movie "Jerry McGuire" last nite. The female lead's friend is a buffoonish jazz obsessive. He raves about a live Miles Davis & John Coltrane recording in Stockholm from 1963. I have all the Davis/Coltrane live stuff I can find from the 1960 "last" european tour, but I've never heard of this "1963" recording. Did the moviemakers screw this up or is there actually such a recording? Thanks.

They may have been recorded in live performances. . . separately! I don't believe that the recording "together" really exists. They may have the year wrong. 1960 would be more likely.

I have never seen that movie. . . not a Cruz fan, not a sports fan.

Edited by jazzbo

They must have screwed up!

John Coltrane by 1963 was on his own and far away from Miles.

There were two 1960 Miles Davis concerts in Stockholm by Miles Davis. Both issued by Dragon.

First one was with Coltrane, the second one was with Sonny Stitt.

No trace of a Miles Davis concert in Sweden in 1963. He did play in Paris first and at the Antibes jazz festival that Summer (the Antibes concert was released in the USA as 'Miles Davis in Europe').

The story I heard was that they intended to use some Miles (don't know what session) for the sex scene, but that the Miles estate nixed it. Rather than re-shoot the whole scene, they squeezed in a line about 'adding some Mingus on the other side' to explain why we were hearing 'Haitian Fight Song'. Because, of course, Sue Mingus was ready to let them use some of Mingus' music, no doubt for a steep fee.

I agree - Cameron Crowe sucks. Almost Famous was truly awful.

Bertrand.