Cat Stevens: Good Guy - Bad Guy?

RonF

Regarding Cat's (can't recall his Muslim name) alleged connection to the Salmon Rushdie murder contract of many years ago. Was it true? Has he cleared himself or has he been cleared of those charges? For several years, radio stations weren't playing his music. Now I'm beginning to hear it again and I started wondering why.

Is he a nut? Still a nut? Always a nut?

By coincidence, an article from last Sundays London Observer.

Feline groovy

The artist formerly known as Cat Stevens has ransacked his tapes for a live DVD that proves why he was such a star in the Seventies. Yusuf Islam tells Molloy Woodcraft about fame, Greece and religious conversion

Sunday July 18, 2004

The Observer

When I meet Yusuf Islam in the Muslim hotel in Willesden which he has chosen for our interview I am surprised by the candour with which he is prepared to discuss his former career. Britain's most famous Muslim convert has been famously reticent on the subject since the late Seventies.

Now, it seems, the 56-year-old singer is ready to talk, even to play again; he has performed at a couple of gigs in the past year, one at the Royal Albert Hall to mark the 20th anniversary of the Muslim primary school he helped to found in London, the other the Nelson Mandela Aids benefit in Cape Town. He is also giving enthusiastic backing to a DVD of a concert on his Majikat world tour of 1976 - his last - filmed and then shelved following his conversion to Islam.

Why, I ask, does he feel able to engage in music again having rejected it for so long?

'In the early days I had a very black-and-white view of everything,' he says. 'I think that's kind of natural for anyone who's just embraced Islam - or any religion - as a convert. It was important for me to duck out of the fast and furious life I'd been living as a pop star. I was in a different mood.'

His attitude has softened for religious reasons: 'I've studied various schools of thought ... I acknowledge that some Muslims consider music prohibited, but I've found a lot of evidence from the life of the Prophet to show that he allowed certainly, but even encouraged, music at certain times ... ' He goes on: 'There is a social need within our lives as human beings to have harmony.'

I ask Islam for his memories of the concert. He confesses that he was not entirely comfortable about being filmed: 'I was quite domineering ... There was a moment where the cameraman almost stuck the camera up my nose and I got very upset and uptight.'

He continues: 'In those days a concert was a personal experience. I wanted to be as close as possible to the audience and of course big stadiums didn't enable you to do that. It wasn't my style.' On the whole, however, he is upbeat: 'I think it's great to have something of that era, of my history as a performer, out there on record because maybe a lot of people would never have experienced it. I think the show was very, very powerful.'

The DVD certainly shows Cat Stevens in fine form. It's quite evident from the beatific smiles he gives after each number that he loved playing live and there are great renditions of some beautiful songs: 'Moonshadow', 'Oh Very Young' and 'Sad Lisa' in particular are outstanding examples of Stevens's individual, in many ways very English, songwriting style. Of course 'Wild World' comes in the encore but Islam is particularly happy that 'Peace Train', which closes the first set, has made it on to the DVD: 'That was the first time I remember seeing these little ... I thought they were candles but they were lighters being held. I was amazed, it was such an elation ... "Peace Train" was always the last number, the strongest number, and in fact I never recorded it as well as I sang it live.'

Watching the DVD, I am struck by the sense of a spiritual quest in many of the songs. 'The spiritual quest was always the predominant aspect of my life,' says Islam. 'Why? God knows ... It's always been there. But there's also an incredible passion connected to it; it's not just a dry investigative process. I have been extremely emotional about it, and that comes out in the songs.'

We talk further about spirituality and I am surprised that he cannot remember exactly when, in relation to the Majikat tour, he made his famous pact with God while in danger of drowning off Malibu beach; it is clear, however, that the tour played its part in his conversion to Islam.

'We ended up in Athens ... It was supposed to be the pièce de résistance of the tour because I'd gone back to my Greek heritage - on my father's side - but in fact it was a Greek tragedy. The hall was half booked - there was a major football match going on, and exams at the same time. But it hurt my ego. Probably that gave me an impulse to think about whether I wanted to continue doing this ... I think I was carrying the Koran around towards the end of the tour.'

In many ways, speaking to Islam about his past life feels the same as talking to any old head looking back at his younger self through the filter of time. But he recalls the past with a freshness not possible for those who spend decades trading on former glories. It is a boon that he feels able once more to talk about music - indeed, that he was ready to go rooting through the flight cases in his store room and dig out the tapes for this concert.

Afaik, there were never any official "charges" levied against Yusef Islam, directly relating to his comments on the fatwah placed upon Salman Rushdie. In a tv appearance he was asked wether or not he agreed with the fatwah, but he merely only inadvertently mistakenly refrenced the Qu'ran. In his defence he said that he was quite naive about the issue at the time and apologized for his statements.

I disgree with the "nut" tag being placed upon him here. Just because one aligns himself with a religion, rejects a former notion or belief, and lives his life according to what he has dicovered within that school of thought, does not make one a religious fanatic, and most certainly not, a nut.

Afaik, there were never any official "charges" levied against Yusef Islam, directly relating to his comments on the fatwah placed upon Salman Rushdie. In a tv appearance he was asked wether or not he agreed with the fatwah, but he merely only inadvertently mistakenly refrenced the Qu'ran. In his defence he said that he was quite naive about the issue at the time and apologized for his statements.

I disgree with the "nut" tag being placed upon him here. Just because one aligns himself with a religion, rejects a former notion or belief, and lives his life according to what he has dicovered within that school of thought, does not make one a religious fanatic, and most certainly not, a nut.

I agree. Name calling isn't appropriate. The "nut" word wasn't in reference to his religion, but rather, that he may have supported the murder directive of Rushdie. Frankly, it was always my understanding that he agreed with the "fatwah". So, it's good to know that he didn't and, moreover, that he apologized for any confusion he may have caused.

Thanks for the article, John. Maybe Yusuf wouldn't mind making a little cash?

I agree. Name calling isn't appropriate. The "nut" word wasn't in reference to his religion, but rather, that he may have supported the murder directive of Rushdie. Frankly, it was always my understanding that he agreed with the "fatwah". So, it's good to know that he didn't and, moreover, that he apologized for any confusion he may have caused.

Thanks for the article, John. Maybe Yusuf wouldn't mind making a little cash?

I happened to be in London and saw that interview. I thought it was a good example of the difference between US & UK interviewing styles. (Well, some anyway.) AsI remember it the interviewer didn't argue with him. He just let him hang himself. (Even though there was an audience the interviewer didn't seem to need to show that he was on the side of the righteous.) And (again as I remember it) the artist formerly known as Cat, agreed with the fatwah but said he wouldn't necessarily carry it out himself even if he had a chance.

Wierdly enough the other day I found myself arguing about this with a woman who turned out to be Rushdie's ex-wife. She thought he'd made too much of the fatwah and had played into the hands of UK racists.

Guest ariceffron

CAT STEVENS IS A GOOD MAN DONT BE FOOLED JUST CAUSE HE DOES ALL THAT ARAB STUFF NOW. ALL ARABS ARENT CRAZY MAN. JUST THE OTHER DAY I WENT TO A POPULAR DELI HERE AND THE GUYS WHO RUN IT ARE IRAQI. BUT THEY ARE OK GUYS. CAT STEVENS DIDNT SUPPORT THAT RUSHDIE GUYS BULLSHIT WHATEVER IT WAS. THE MEDIAS PORTRAYAL OF IT HOWEVER WAS THAT SOMHOW CAT WAS INVOLVED. CAT STEVENS IS ABOUT PEACE. FAR BEYOND JUST HIS SONG PEACE TRAIN. EVERYTHING HE DID IS IN THE NAME OF PEACE

CAT STEVENS IS A GOOD MAN DONT BE FOOLED JUST CAUSE HE DOES ALL THAT ARAB STUFF NOW. ALL ARABS ARENT CRAZY MAN. JUST THE OTHER DAY I WENT TO A POPULAR DELI HERE AND THE GUYS WHO RUN IT ARE IRAQI. BUT THEY ARE OK GUYS. CAT STEVENS DIDNT SUPPORT THAT RUSHDIE GUYS BULLSHIT WHATEVER IT WAS. THE MEDIAS PORTRAYAL OF IT HOWEVER WAS THAT SOMHOW CAT WAS INVOLVED. CAT STEVENS IS ABOUT PEACE. FAR BEYOND JUST HIS SONG PEACE TRAIN. EVERYTHING HE DID IS IN THE NAME OF PEACE

I didn't know he was an Arab now. :wacko:

I didn't know he was an Arab now.  :wacko:

:D

As I recall, this is pretty much how another thread went...of a couple of years ago. Different interpretations of what Yusuf said or didn't say. Yes he did! No, he didn't! Maybe there's more to The Observer interview but I was surprised the fatwah subject didn't come up. If he's going to stage a comeback, I wish he'd address the subject directly and get rid of the lingering questions.

What I meant by religious nut was that he publicly supported the fatwah against Salmon Rushdie. Given that the edict was issued by a bunch of nuts, I figure if you support that you're also one yourself. I haven't read the Koran, but if it advocates murder of writers I can't get with that at all. In religious nuts I also include Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, some of the setllers in Israel, etc.

What's interesting is that the 10,000 Maniacs album IN MY TRIBE originally included the Cat Steven's song PEACE TRAIN, then it was removed. Now a 2-CD compilation was released and the PEACE TRAIN song is included again. Course, maybe the 10,000 Maniacs had no input on the compilation and the record company did it on their own.

If he's going to stage a comeback, I wish he'd address the subject directly and get rid of the lingering questions.

If he expects me to listen, he's going to have to explain it. Sorry, guys, but "he didn't really support it" isn't the way I remember it going down at all. As much as I enjoyed Cat Stevens back in the day, I'll pass now.

Of course, that was during the period that I was severely under the influence of a particularly stunning girl and even listened to Elton John, so I probably wouldn't even like the stuff now... :g

.....Of course, that was during the period that I was severely under the influence of a particularly stunning girl and even listened to Elton John, so I probably wouldn't even like the stuff now... :g

You wouldn't like her stuff anymore??? :huh:

Edited by BERIGAN

Of course, that was during the period that I was severely under the influence of a particularly stunning girl and even listened to Elton John, so I probably wouldn't even like the stuff now... :g

Dude, Elton, back in the day was a badass. Even now, every once in a while, he can knock one out of the park.

Cat Stevens, on the other hand, never did it for me. And, he did put out two albums since his conversion: one was a kids record, and the other one was just voice and percussion. So, there ya go.