Albums similar to kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue?

Nutty

Grant Green's "Am I Blue".

Ike Quebec's great "Bossa Nova Soul Samba" or whatever the correct title of that one is.

Both are different, but then you won't find anything that's just like "Midnight Blue".

You might also try Green's "Green Street", another very moody affair.

Maybe something by Wes Montgomery, too.

ubu

I would chime in for Grant Green's "Born to Be Blue" with Ike Quebec and Sonny Clark. Seems to be sometimes overlooked ... I find it to be very soulful - not the same instrumentation, but much of the same feel.

I would also vote for the Jimmy Smith albums with Turrentine and Burrell (Back at the Chicken Shack and Midnight Special). Obviously the organ changes the dynamic a bit, but again, I get the same bluesy, soulful feel.

Yeah and damn it, we need Freedom!!

I would also vote for the Jimmy Smith albums with Turrentine and Burrell (Back at the Chicken Shack and Midnight Special). Obviously the organ changes the dynamic a bit, but again, I get the same bluesy, soulful feel

Two great albums, but I think these are more "hot, lazy summer afternoon" than "intimate late night".

Guy

This may be a stupid comment, but when I first listened to Midnight Blue I thought, heroin. Why? I really do not know.

Albums like MB? I would have to put together a compilation of songs to get that feel. Ammons: Hip Tip is one and I know I have heard more, but I cannot recall them now. Maybe, a song from Kind of Blue? Chet Baker's "Chet" seems to have one or two. Something off Byrd's "Royal Flush" also comes to mind.

Midnight Blue is one of those recordings that really does have it's own personality, which makes it hard to find "duplicates" to recommend. Ever have somebody ask you to recommend "something that sounds like Kind Of Blue"? It's not as easy as it sounds...

Back to Kenny.

One of the aspects of this recording that makes it so memorable, was the decision to drop the piano from the linuep. Now don't get me wrong, I love piano...but the lack of another competing chordal instrument makes Burrell's wonderful guitar playing stand out in sharper focus. This does seem to be a rarity during that time in history though, even in Burrell's own work. Aside from trio recordings, I can't think of any other Burrell dates without either a piano or organ from this time frame.

Blue And Sentimental is a good choice, because there is no pianist (aside from Ike comping now and again)

But even with that, Blue And Sentimental doesn't really sound like Midnight Blue.

Midnight Blue seems to evoke strong reactions from people. Some (like myself) put this up there in our list of favorite jazz albums, it IS a classic recording. While others describe it as "boring". I've never understood that last opinion...but to each his own.

While more contemplative and moody, I think Idle Moments would be a good recommendation. The feel and instrumentation are different, but it also stands as an album that has a life of it's own.

One more suggestion:

Grant Green - Street Of Dreams. :tup

For conga and soulful sax, Lou Donaldson did a bunch: Blues Walk, Swing & Soul, Light Foot, The Time is Right and Gravy Train. Not all in the same mood but a CD-R and and copy of the Mosaic box with all the aforementioned and you'd end up with something pretty similar to Midnight Blue with numbers like "Grits & Gravy"...

Wow! So many replies! I have only a few of the albums mentioned, and I'm definitely going to check out the Ike Quebec.

I've been listening to jazz for nearly three years, and each album opens up new roads to different artists, genres, means of expression, etc. After several years of being disenchanted with my rock/pop collection, it's great to "feel" what I'm listening to... I'm having so much fun listening and learning. Thanks everyone!

While more contemplative and moody, I think Idle Moments would be a good recommendation. The feel and instrumentation are different, but it also stands as an album that has a life of it's own.

Yes. :tup

I was going to suggest Idle Moments. It certainly has a sound, a personality, a mood all its own.