The Connection - now on DVD

Stefan Wood

Warren Finnerty in The Connection reminds me so much of Steve Buscemi in his mannerisms.

I studied playwriting with Jack Gelber in college. By that time ('70s) he was doing more directing than writing. Though he did do a handful of plays after The Connection, he was basically a one-hit wonder as a writer. I liked Jack very much. He died very suddenly, which I guess is good, no suffering. He had a brain aneurysm or something like that after he got home from teaching a directing class at Ensemble Studio Theatre and just went.

Milestone Films, which is releasing this version of “The Connection” restored by the UCLA Film & Television Archive, will go on to release Clarke’s 1960s documentaries “Robert Frost: A Quarrel With the World” and “Portrait of Jason,” an interview with a black gay street hustler, along with her 1985 comeback film “Ornette: Made in America,” about jazz legend Ornette Coleman.

:tup

• 3 months later...

Saw The Ornette Coleman's film in Cannes the same year or the next (1985/86?). A great film for the portrait Shirley Clarke has done of Ornette (she was great at that) but to little music in it, for my taste. When asking by me at the press conference why so, she answers that the film is a "portrait" not a captation of a concert, and she was certainly right from her point of view.

Edited by P.L.M