I love piano trios!

Jazzdude

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Piano is my favorite instrument and trio is my favorite format. I'm always on the look out for any new or little known exciting pianists on the scene. Can anyone hip me to some fresh faces?

Garner? Mance? Newborn? Jamal? Tatum, for heaven's sake?

:rolleyes:

We need to brush up on reading comprehension.

Details...., details... <_<

Blame, Sangrey. :P

Judging by the cat's list, I figure those on my list would be fresh faces.

I see it all the time - young cats knowing pretty much all the Bill/Herbie/Chick/Keith lineage and all its offshoots as well as the cats on the scene now (all of them, it seems, even the ones that serve no useful purpose other than to contribute product to the illusion that jazz is alive and thriving), but they think that Nat Cole was a pop singer who used to play a little bit of piano in the early days, or that Elmo Hope was a junkie with a really cool name.

Nothing wrong with that, I suppose, but hey...

(and I recommend Frank Hewitt to everybody. STRONGLY so in fact!)

WOW! You guys are fast. I've been hanging out allot at "all about jazz," but I will be

visiting this site more from now on.

;) Briefly, for Jsngy: Your assumption is wrong. Thanks for the compliment, but I'm not so young. In fact, I'm two years older than you. I've been listening to jazz all my life, consistently since 1972. I grew up with the music in my parents house. Lots of Ellington, Basie, Sarah and Billie.

The artists I mentioned were off the top of my head. Allot of the pianists mentioned I have discs of: Paul Bley (love his "Not One...",)

Michel Pilc--I have his last few discs,

Martial Solal--too cold and clinical to my ears.

I have much Hank Jones, Ahmad, Marcus Roberts, Nat King Cole (thanks anyway, JSgry), Tatum, Shipp, Allen, Hannah, Powell, Hancock, one Norris--don't like it, no Kevin Hays except as a sideman.

I have a little Byard, Kimbrough, Zeitlin and Walton.

Over the weekend, after seeing Kenny Burrell perform (disappointing), I picked up, on the strong recommendation of a friend, the previous disc, not the latest, by Jeff Hamilton, with Tamir Handleman on the eighty-eights. It's in my car now. Will listen to it more.

Pianists who have been around, dead or alive, but I would like to check out more:

Hampton Hawes,

Amina Claudine Myers,

Phineas Newborn, Jr.,

Vijay Iyer (keep hearing about him)

Any suggestions?

New pianists I've never heard of but would like to hear:

John di Martino

Eddie Higgins

Mike Strickland

Hugh Lawson

Simon Nabatov

Eduardo Simon

Iansel Korossy

Frank Hewitt

Michael Cochrane--the Wayne Shorter tribute sounds intriguing.

Suggestions of these, please

:D I'll be back...

Edited by Jazzdude

John di Martino

Eddie Higgins

Mike Strickland

Hugh Lawson

Simon Nabatov

Eduardo Simon

Iansel Korossy

Frank Hewitt

:D I'll be back...

Simon Nabatov's "Tough Customer" on the Enja label would be a great place to start with him. It's an amazing piano trio album with Mark Helias (bass) and Tom Rainey (drums). This album may be out of print and hard to get ahold of though.

;) Briefly, for Jsngy: Your assumption is wrong. Thanks for the compliment, but I'm not so young. In fact, I'm two years older than you. I've been listening to jazz all my life, consistently since 1972. I grew up with the music in my parents house. Lots of Ellington, Basie, Sarah and Billie.

Assuming that you mean that you were born in 1972, if you're two years older than me, that would mean that the first 18 years of my life I was somebody else, which is actually not all that far wrong, but I quibble... :g

Seriously, I apologize if I misread you. The "type" that I mention is indeed common, but if you're not one of them, so much the better!

And definitely check out Amina & Vijay Iyer - plenty of good music to be had there! :tup

Venus seems to specialize in high quality trio recordings with an emphasis on standards. The Eddie Higgins releases are all good and are relatively big sellers here in Japan. Bill Charlap's recordings under the name of 'The New York Trio' are also excellent. I would further recommend the Harold Mabern, John Hicks and David Hazeltine trio recording on Venus. In addition, the sound is superb.

Oh, God...Jesus,give me strength...JSgry...your bio said you were born in 1955. I was born in 1953. That makes me two years older than you. I've been heavily into jazz since 1972. Enough of that..

.Brad Mehldau is one of my favorites. I have all of his CDs except for "Largo." He is rapidly developing, sounding less and less like Keith Jarrett.

Edited by Jazzdude

John di Martino

Eddie Higgins

Mike Strickland

Hugh Lawson

Simon Nabatov

Eduardo Simon

Iansel Korossy

Frank Hewitt

Eddie Higgins (as I said above) is NOT new. He's been around since the 50's, recorded on Vee Jay with Lee Morgan, got an invite from Blakey to be the Messengers' pianist in the early 60's, and has a lengthy (and ever-lengthening) discography as a leader and sideman.

I think he has improved with age. During the 1990's, Eddie put out some great CD's on the Sunnyside label:

Those Quiet Days

Zoot's Hymns (quartet)

Portrait In Black And White

Haunted Heart

Speaking of Jobim

Since 2000, he's put out a nice string of CD's on the Venus (Japan) label:

Again

Don't Smoke In Bed

Bewitched

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes (quartet)

Dear Old Stockholm

My Foolish Heart (quartet)

You Don't Know What Love Is

Moonlight Becomes You (w/quintet + strings)

The trio discs (all highly recommended) are: Again, Bewitched, and Dear Old Stockholm. Don't Smoke In Bed is a p-g-b trio.

Oh, God...Jesus,give me strength...JSgry...your bio said you were born in 1955. I was born in 1953. That makes me two years older than you. I've been heavily into jazz since 1972. Enough of that..

Ok, I thought that when you said

I've been listening to jazz all my life, consistently since 1972.
that you meant that you were born in 1972.

My bad, and indeed, enough of that..

Now, ask Jesus to give you the strength to pick up that Frank Hewitt CD! :g:g:g:g

Edited by JSngry

I don't know whether he's been mentioned or not, but I'm really enjoying Tardo Hammer's latest CD "Tardo's Tempo" on Sharp Nine. (He has two earlier trio recordings on Sharp Nine). Tardo's a Powell man who really digs in and lays down some powerful solos. Ably assisted on this one by Dennis Irwin on bass and some fiery drumming by Jimmy Wormsworth.

I don't know whether he's been mentioned or not, but I'm really enjoying Tardo Hammer's latest CD "Tardo's Tempo" on Sharp Nine. (He has two earlier trio recordings on Sharp Nine). Tardo's a Powell man who really digs in and lays down some powerful solos. Ably assisted on this one by Dennis Irwin on bass and some fiery drumming by Jimmy Wormsworth.

Yeah, Tardo's a fine talent, shows a nice mix of Monk and Bud Powell/Barry Harris in his playing without sounding too much like any of them. Good swinging stuff, if not that innovative.

• 3 months later...