I love piano trios!

Jazzdude

Piano is my favorite instrument and trio is my favorite format. I'm always on the look out for any new or little known exciting pianists on the scene. Can anyone hip me to some fresh faces? I especially, but not exclusively by any means, dig standards.

:rolleyes: Here are some of my current long-time favorites:

McCoy Tyner,

Keith Jarrett,

Chick Corea,

Jason Moran,

Andrew Hill,

Bill Evans,

Lynne Arriale,

Horace Silver,

Jessica Williams,

Fred Hersch,

Randy Weston.

Bill Charlap

New ones I've recently discovered:

Chano Dominguez (fuses flamenco and jazz) ,

Junko Onishi (altho I heard she went back to Japan),

Don Friedman,

Warren Bernhardt,

Peter Malverneri (spelling is wrong).

I read somewhere about an Argentinian pianist who combines jazz and tango. His last names starts with an "I". Anyone ever hear of him?

Any other suggestions?

Edited by Jazzdude

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oops, I forgot about them. I have most of Jacky Terrasson discs, two Chestnuts and two Green CDs. Of the three Terrasson is my fave. Green doesn't do much for me. Chestnut I like, too. How about some pianists on some independent labels who are not well known but still very good.

I read somewhere about an Argentinian pianist who combines jazz and tango. His last names starts with an "I". Anyone ever hear of him?

Obviously not who you are asking about but check Pablo Zeigler.

John Lurie's brother Evan has some very nice Jazz Tango Italiatarentella going on.

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

Piano is my favorite instrument and trio is my favorite format. I'm always on the look out for any new or little known exciting pianists on the scene. Can anyone hip me to some fresh faces?

Garner? Mance? Newborn? Jamal? Tatum, for heaven's sake?

:rolleyes:

We need to brush up on reading comprehension.

Piano is my favorite instrument and trio is my favorite format. I'm always on the look out for any new or little known exciting pianists on the scene. Can anyone hip me to some fresh faces?

Garner? Mance? Newborn? Jamal? Tatum, for heaven's sake?

:rolleyes:

We need to brush up on reading comprehension.

Details...., details... <_<

Blame, Sangrey. :P

Piano is my favorite instrument and trio is my favorite format. I'm always on the look out for any new or little known exciting pianists on the scene.

Eddie Higgins ain't new, but he's relatively little known. He's also playing better than ever, IMO.

Lou Levy isn't new (isn't even with us anymore, unfortunately), but I think he's always been underappreciated.

Just in case you hadn't checked them out... B)

Mike Strickland: JAZZ, BLUES AND BOOGIE

Just in case you like solo piano, also. Not a heavy weight by any stretch. This is just a fun CD. Mike's done other CD's(to pay bills), but this about only one that I like. Cool and bluesy, yet elegant and classy -very accessible.