THE JAZZ SHOWCASE, CHICAGO

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be at the Showcase this weekend to see Junior Mance and probably each of the other shows; August is always Charlie Parker Month at the Showcase, as they ususally have performers that had played with or are heavily influenced by Bird!!!

~July 27-August 1~Junior Mance Trio

~August 3-August 8~ Charles McPherson

~August 10-August 15~Lou Donaldson/Lonnie SMith

~August 17-August 22~ Roy Haynes Quartet

~August 24-August 29~ Donald Harrison Quintet

~August 31-Spetember 5~ Ira Sullivan

~September 7-12~Toshiko Akiyoshi Trio

~September 14-19~Ernestine Anderson

~September 21-26~David Sanchez Quartet

~September 28-October 3~ McCoy Tyner Trio

~October 5-10~ Danilo Perez Trio

~October 12-17~ Dave Holland Quartet

~October 19-24~Pharoah Sanders Quartet

~October 26-31~Rufus Reid Quintet

Mark

Edited by sheldonm

Who is in Roy's quartet?

Might be time for a road trip

I think last year Marcus Strickland was playing with him but I'd have to refer to my photographs to be sure. Sal may know as I belive he was there also....Sal???

Mark

It was Marcus Strickland last year. Hopefully it's someone different this year.... :w

I know they have a ton of stuff they've recorded through the years; Stitt, Gordon, too many to name. I bug them about it frequently but there are many issues, legal and otherwise that prevents most of it. It would be quite a gold mine to get your hands on!!!

I think "Bastard" is a little harsh :o ! He's a little grouchy at times but a bastard...I don't think so!

it's all about money with these people. that's why he's a "bastard".

l p -- I too would call Joe a sometime grouch rather than a "bastard," especially when it comes to the problem of releasing tapes of performances he's taped. Chuck Nessa can correct me if I've got it wrong, but I'd guess that Joe's main stumbling block here is not that he's greedy but that he wouldn't put out any of that material without obtaining the proper releases from surviving performers, relatives/estates, etc. and that the upfront costs of doing that are beyond his personal means. Doing something of the sort in conjunction with interested parties who do have the dough -- which is something that Joe has done a few times over the years -- would then seem to be the answer, but such parties don't lie thick upon the ground these days, I would think, and besides, any such enterprise would require that Joe be sufficiently organized, somewhat adventurous, and in a mood to cooperate with someone else. Offhand, I wouldn't say being well-organized, cooperative, and adventurous are Joe's strong suits.

it's not as hard to get all the permissions required from the musicians/families.

if it was that hard, then we would not see a lot of cd's that are being released all the time.

It not always a matter of getting them to say "yes or no", but many times an issue of money. Many times they want much, much, much more money than the owner of the music will ever get in return. Often, the musician or family members just don't want it released, period. I'm sure it's more difficult than it appears from our end! ....and if it were that easy, we would see that much more!

Any Showcase insiders or regulars have any idea about the show calendar for September? I am going to be in Chicago 9/16-9/19 and would like to know what I might see.

I sent an email to the address on their website a while ago but have yet to receive a response.

I'll be there on Sunday and will get the info. I think I have some of them jotted down around here somewhere. I'll post something Sunday night.

Thanks,

Mark

Any Showcase insiders or regulars have any idea about the show calendar for September?  I am going to be in Chicago 9/16-9/19 and would like to know what I might see.

I sent an email to the address on their website a while ago but have yet to receive a response.

Yeah, I remember seeing David Sanchez, Dave Holland, Roy Hargrove, and Pharoah Sanders on there, but don't remember the months or days.

And don't ever expect an answer to that e-mail. You won't get one.

Edited by sal

Any Showcase insiders or regulars have any idea about the show calendar for September?  I am going to be in Chicago 9/16-9/19 and would like to know what I might see.

Yeah, I remember seeing David Sanchez, Dave Holland, Roy Hargrove, and Pharoah Sanders on there, but don't remember the months or days.

And don't ever expect an answer to that e-mail. You won't get one.

Correct on the e-mail issue, forget about it! I think Ernestine Anderson is also on the bill. There are many good ones coming, including McCoy Tyner. I'll follow up on Monday after I return!

Thanks for the schedule Mark!

I called Joe's Place and got the recording. Funny, he says the website has the show calendar through the new year....

Maybe he meant THIS website.

Looks like I'll be in for another jazz vocalist. I saw Andy Bey at the Jazz Bakery earlier this year. Good show.

I took a quick peak at Ernestine Anderson over at AMG. She seems to move fairly easily between jazz and R&B. Maybe the venue will dictate the set list.

I guess I'll find out next month. ;)

Thanks for the schedule Mark!

I called Joe's Place and got the recording. Funny, he says the website has the show calendar through the new year....

Maybe he meant THIS website.

Looks like I'll be in for another jazz vocalist. I saw Andy Bey at the Jazz Bakery earlier this year. Good show.

I took a quick peak at Ernestine Anderson over at AMG. She seems to move fairly easily between jazz and R&B. Maybe the venue will dictate the set list.

I guess I'll find out next month. ;)

Joe told me he was updating the website this week, maybe he just hasn't got it done yet. I'll probably go over for the Sunday matinee show while your in town. Let me know if you can make that one!

Mark