THE JAZZ SHOWCASE, CHICAGO

anybody going to see the buster williams quartet at the showcase in two weeks? i'll be in town april 1-3 and plan to be there one of those nights.

I'm going to try to make that one. I'll PM you when the date gets closer to let you know for sure.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was fortunate to go with Mark and Sal to Pat Martino. It was one of the best sets of music I've ever seen. The venue is spectacular for jazz. Very dignified but not pretentious. You just go and soak it in. It's really close to heaven for me. And Joe Segal - I could care less what kinda guy he is. I'm glad he has lasted through thick and thin and is still presenting all these top notch guys/gals. I hope his son continues the business!

cb-a

Ya gotta love Joe :rolleyes:

I remember back in the late 70's, going to the Jazz Showcase when it was at 901 Rush street, to hear Philly Joe Jones. During one of the sets, Al Green was up at the waitress station trying to hit on one of the waitresses.. Joe sees this distraction, walks over to Al Green and says, "Look man, I don't really care who you are, either you get a seat and dig the music or leave! " :lol:

In the late 70's the Jazz Showcase was my school and church of jazz. I heard many great jazz artists there and many times left there blown away by the music! I owe much of my deep love and inspiration for the music to guys lile Joe & the Jazz Showcase!

Another man of note. From the late 40's- early 50's, Clarence Baker in Detoit also showcased the great legends and innovators of jazz for many decades. I caught many great sets there too. Though Clarence has passed away, Baker's Keyboard Lounge still lives on, though no longer at the talent level of The Jazz Showcase & Village Vanguard. Most of the acts booked there these days are local and regional.

Like Norman Granz, Clarence Baker, Rusty Monroe (now defunct Rusty's-Toledo) & the late Max Gordon (Village Vanguard-NYC), Joe historically, is and continues to be an important part of jazz music and it's history and evolution. I am so glad Joe is still around.. He's a tough old bird. :)

Edited by randissimo

I remember back in the late 70's, going to the Jazz Showcase to hear Philly Joe Jones. During one of the sets, Al Green was up at the waitress station trying to hit on one of the waitresses.. Joe sees this distraction, walks over to Al Green and says, "Look man, I don't really care who you are, either you get a seat and dig the music or leave! " :lol: In the late 70's the Jazz Showcase was my school and church of jazz. I heard many great jazz artists there and many times left there blown away by the music! I owe much of my love and inspiration for the music to Joe & the Jazz Showcase!

Like Norman Granz, Clarence Baker (Baker's Keyboard Lounge), Rusty Monroe (Rusty's) & Max Gordon (Village Vanguard), Joe historically, is and continues to be an important part of jazz music and it's history and evolution. I am so glad Joe is still around.. He's a tough old bird.

Good post, randissimo.

anybody going to see the buster williams quartet at the showcase in two weeks? i'll be in town april 1-3 and plan to be there one of those nights.

I'm going to try to make that one. I'll PM you when the date gets closer to let you know for sure.

The next batch of shows not listed on the Showcase site are:

May 3-8 Tom Harrell Quintet (It looks like Scofield is out!)

May 12-15 Slide Hampton

May 17-22 Joey DeFrancesco Trio

May 24-29 Bobby Hutcherson Quartet

June 1-5 Steve Turre Quintet

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

The show calendar is updated through June 12th

Mar. 29 - April 3

BUSTER WILLIAMS QUARTET WITH LENNY WHITE (drs)

April 5 - April 10

STEFON HARRIS & BLACKOUT

April 12 - April 17

MULGREW MILLER TRIO

April 19 - April 24

FRANK WESS QUARTET

April 25 MONDAY ONLY

ROB PARTON BIG BAND WITH LOU SOLOFF

APRIL 26 - MAY 1

BILL CHARLAP TRIO WITH PETER WASHINGTON & KENNY WASHINGTON

MAY 3 - MAY 8

TOM HARRELL QUINTET

MAY 12 - MAY 15

SLIDE HAMPTON W. DE PAUL UNIV. BIG BAND

MAY 17 - MAY 22

JOEY DeFRANCISCO TRIO (JIMMY SMITH TRIBUTE)

MAY 24 - MAY 29

BOBBY HUTCHERSON QUARTET WITH WILLIE PICKENS & LARRY GRAY

MAY 31 - JUNE 5

STEVE TURRE QUINTET

JUNE 7 -JUNE 12

DEWEY REDMAN QUARTET

All I can say is its about damn time Dewey Redman got in there! He's been scheduled several times recently, but it has never actually happened. I'm excited to see him on the schedule and am really looking forward to seeing him.

I wonder if Joe knows that Stefon Harris' Blackout is an electric/fusion band. I doubt he would have booked them if he did.

Edited by sal

I have never been to Jazz Showcase. Maybe I should go there to hear Tom Harrell, Bobby Hutcherson or Steve Turre...

jazzmessenger,

PM me if you decide to come into town. I'll likely see all three of those shows.

I have never been to Jazz Showcase.  Maybe I should go there to hear Tom Harrell, Bobby Hutcherson or Steve Turre...

jazzmessenger,

PM me if you decide to come into town. I'll likely see all three of those shows.

Will do! I wish I lived closer to Chicago. I don't know how Mark (sheldonm) seems to visit Jazz Showcase (from Indy) every another week or so...

Edited by jazzmessenger

I'm going to try to make Stephon Harris on Sunday and Bobby Hutcherson at least once. Several other shows look good, but I really have to be careful about upsetting the wife by being out too much.

:lol::lol::lol:

I guess I take my singlehood for granted sometimes! ;)

Stay in touch Eric.....I'll be seeing Hutcherson for sure, and will try to see Stefon Harris, though I'm not so sure about the Blackout band.

• 1 year later...