Gary McFarland question

Shrdlu

I like this guy's playing and arranging a lot. Could anyone provide information on the following entry on the AMG site:

"Gary McFarland", Verve 8674, 1966.

This may be yet another of their errors, so apologies if this is a waste of time. They don't give any details, so there is no need to check the site.

Thanks for any help you can give!

I did find THIS:

13 - ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK RECORDING

(aka EYE OF THE DEVIL)

Gary McFarland

London: November 7, 1966

Unknown (tp); Tubby Hayes (f); unknown (p); Lennie Bush (Bass); Ronnie Stevenson (d); Gary McFarland (vib,comp,arr); Jack Parnell (cond).

or

London: November 8, 1966

Gary McFarland (vb,comp,arr); Jack Parnell (cond) plus unknown tb, fl, p, b and dm.

a. (101095) Main Theme (Journey) (Gary McFarland)

b. (101096) Main Theme (Harp) (Gary McFarland)

c. (101097) Main Theme (Kids) (Gary McFarland)

d. (101098) Death March (Part 1) (Gary McFarland)

e. (101099) Death March (Part 2) (Gary McFarland)

f. (101100) Death March (Part 3) (Gary McFarland)

g. (101101) Death March (Part 4) (Gary McFarland)

h. (101102) Voices (Ceremony) (Gary McFarland)

i. (101103) Main Theme (End) (Gary McFarland)

j. (101104) Voices And Bells In Church (Gary McFarland)

k. (101105) Christmas Theme (Gary McFarland)

l. (101106) Hypnotizing Odillo Theme (Gary McFarland)

m. (101107) Forest Chase (Gary McFarland)

n. (101108) Train Ride (Gary McFarland)

Note: Verve V/V6-8674 is McFarland's score for the feature film 13 (released in 1967 under the title EYE OF THE DEVIL (d: J. Lee Thompson)). Although the soundtrack album was recorded, designed and advertised, it was never issued. Titles above from Creed Taylor's records, some of which are probably known by other titles Gary McFarland used for themes from this film: "One I Could Have Loved" (aka "Theme from 13," "Eye of the Devil" and "13 (Death March)"), "Once I Loved" and "Childhood Dreams" (aka "Jacques"). (Special thanks here to Dan Skea of the RVG Project).

Issues: None (scheduled as Verve V/V6-8674, but not issued).

Producer: prob. Creed Taylor

Engineer: prob. Jack Clegg

http://www.dougpayne.com/gmdisco.htm#SOFT%20SAMBA%20STRINGS

Edited by jazzbo

Thanks a lot, Lon, for the quick, and informative, answer. :)

This is good news and bad news. The good news is that it is an LP that I don't have to hunt for on Gemm (fuggeddabout it!!) and eBay.

Based on what McFarland I have been able to pick up, I would say that his recordings would make an interesting Mosaic set. But there would probably be opposition to his vocalese performances. I happen to like them, but I can see why some might not. The "serious jazz" albums, such as "Point of Departure", would appeal to many, I'm sure. I missed it all when it was happening, back in the 60s. There was just too much else to get!

That album with Bill Evans is great, Chuck. I made a custom CDr of it from the Evans box set. In that set, it is too hard panned, and I used Nero's "pan in" facility to advantage. I hope that the new Japanese CD is well staged.

Want to sell any of the other LPs that Gary made, Chuck?

Have you heard "Point of Departure"? That was reissued in Japan, and might still be available - I got my copy fairly recently, even though it was well past its expiry date. I am very impressed with that album, which features Willie Dennis, Richie Kamuca (on oboe as well as tenor), Jimmy Rainey, Gary Peacock and Mel Lewis. Quite an absorbing collection, with fine composing, arranging and soloing.

Have you heard "Point of Departure"? That was reissued in Japan, and might still be available - I got my copy fairly recently, even though it was well past its expiry date. I am very impressed with that album, which features Willie Dennis, Richie Kamuca (on oboe as well as tenor), Jimmy Rainey, Gary Peacock and Mel Lewis. Quite an absorbing collection, with fine composing, arranging and soloing.

I bought this as a new release as a result of the sessions with Evans. After that I bought Soft Samba and stopped spending money.

Yeah, I noticed that later. I always get them mixed up, both having bird names, and both having appeared on the scene at about the same time, playing the same kind of material.

On top of that, cuckoo clocks are on my mind right now! I found this terrific chalet-style one, that practically makes the morning coffee for you.

• 3 weeks later...

That Doug Payne website has a lot of details about McFarland.

Our Japanese friends are going to reissue "Soft Samba Strings" and "Today" in November, according to HMV, as well as the album with Bill Evans. I haven't heard "Today", but I really like McFarland's other two Skye albums, which are regularly sold on eBay for next to nothing (someone apparently bought a boxload of them).

On eBay, I saw an LP of "Profiles", which has an excellent lineup and looks very promising. I would have snapped it up, but it was mono, and I would prefer stereo for a big band.