which Stanley Turrentine to get?

reg

i've decided it's time to get a few more of Mr Turrentine's albums.

i have Sugar and Hustlin' (which is fanastic). also love him on Midnight Blue and Back at the Chicken Shack.

the ones i've got my eye on (mainly cos i've seen them in the shop) are

Complete Blue Hour Sessions

Up at Minton's

Easy Walker

The Spoiler

Rough 'n' Tumble

are these worth a look and is there any i need to get straight away due to their greatness :) or any that can wait due to their not so greatness ?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me start with a vote for The Spoiler With arrangements by Duke Pearson and many of the same personnel as Duke's The Right Touch, it's a perfect companion IMO.....A nice larger group outing.

I like Easy Walker too. Nothing groundbreaking but a nice quartet session. Nice playing by all and the domestic CD has 5 bonus tracks.

Up at Minton's includes Horace Parlan and Grant Green and is quite good.

But the best in the group is The Complete Blue Hour. Some find the original date sleep-inducing but it is, IMO, a gorgeous set of late-night, soulful blues, an all-time desert-island disc (and I say that not just because I am the (former) Gene Harris Fanatic!). The second disc isn't as cohesive or as consistent as the first but it has more uptempo tunes and is still pretty nice.

Its actually interesting to see how in picking tunes Alfred had a hand in creating a masterpiece. Its clear from the two recording sessions that he didn't set out to make a late-night downtempo blues album, but he had the insight to recognize the best that the musicians laid down and then took one of Gene Harris' originals to give the date its name.

I bought Rough N Tumble about two weeks ago, and I love it! Some of the best soulful jazz I've ever heard. The best part is hearing McCoy Tyner flip into Ray Charles mode! Great Album......highly recommended.

All these are great recommendations. . . which just means that there is so much excellent Stanley out there. Dan's very insightful look into the assembly of the masterpiece "Blue Hour" is right on: this is a masterpiece, a real statement for both the label and the two principles (four really) Stan and the Three Sounds.

The real truth is. . . unless perhaps you go into his later work which I haven't explored too much because I sampled one that was a little uninspired and I just haven't gone further. . . the truth is that if you pick up almost ANY Stan T recording as a leader, or a sideman, you'll have some great stuff!

Edited by jazzbo

I love Z.T.'s Blues also. As far as the choices listed here, though, I think I would agree with Templejazz. I think a good reason to try Easy Walker or The Spoiler is that they're not quite so blues-oriented as some of the items you already have. Easy Walker offers a nice line-up of tunes with a variety of styles. Stanley still plays in his bluesy, soulful style, so the blues element is still there anyway. I'm also a fan of Duke Pearson's arranging, and The Spoiler also offers a nice selection of compostitions for Stanley to work out on.

Beyond the Blue Notes, don't overlook:

SALT SONG, CHERRY, & DON'T MESS WITH MISTER T on CTI. These two are easily dismissed or downplayed for their sheeny production, but that should not obscure the very real, high quality, quite soulful playing that is going on from beginning to end. The kind of stuff that gets under your skin and refuses to leave, all without your knowing it's happening. I actually prefer these 3 to SUGAR.

T TIME (Music Masters) - yeah, it's got that yucky digital tinniness to it, and yeah, it's basically a rehash of your memories of the good ol' days, but what the hell? Turrentine is loose, inventive, and flowing throughout, and if that's not enough, then why bother with him in the first place?

WONDERLAND (Blue Note, 1987) - funky, poppy, Stevie Wondery club music. It ain't heavy, but in its best moments it's your brother. Definitely one for parties!

And lest we forget, best grab this puppy, like, YESTERDAY!

c48417ea2f8.jpg

Don't ask why, just do it and be glad you did. ;)

Edited by JSngry

How about the 2LP mid-70s Blue Note Reissue Series 'Stanley Turrentine' set and the Liberty 'New Time Shuffle'? Not sure if these are on CD but they feature Stanley with a mid-sized group arranged by Duke Pearson. Both are recommended, as is the 'Joy Ride' session with Oliver Nelson.

:rhappy:

I just got ROUGH AND TUMBLIN' yesterday. After a couple times through in the car I thinks it's OK. It is a very good soul jazz record. A little too mainstream but the playing is good. It's just my personal preference for hardbop I think.

thanks for everyone's replies. i picked up The Spoiler today. played it through a couple of times and really like it. nice version of Sunny, had me humming along much to the annoyance of Mrs reg :D

this reminded me a bit of introducing Duke Pearson's Big Band.

• 9 months later...

Here's another vote the Blue Hour. Kudos to BN for putting out the Complete set. Also, a big yes vote for Queen of the Organ. Awesome! Other favorites of mine are Stan the Man on Time/Bainbridge (little hard to find, although it's probably still available in Japan) and Dearly Beloved and Never Let Me Go, also on BN.

Other favorites of mine are Stan the Man on Time/Bainbridge (little hard to find, although it's probably still available in Japan)

this is available on vinyl as are som other Time releases, don't know the source but I recently picked up a new copy of brother Tommy's Time release on LP, sound is good (but not spectacular) and pressing clean