VSOP "Live Under the Sky" reissue Aug 17

CJ Shearn

GregK, yes they did reform in the early '90's for the "Tribute to Miles" album on Qwest. Somewhere theres a thread I started a loooong time ago before I bought the album. I had it and sold it, the playing is fine (w/ Wallace Roney instead of Freddie Hubbard) but there's a lack of spark or freshness, which make the earlier VSOP Quintet recordings the ones to get.

GregK, yes they did reform in the early '90's for the "Tribute to Miles" album on Qwest. Somewhere theres a thread I started a loooong time ago before I bought the album. I had it and sold it, the playing is fine (w/ Wallace Roney instead of Freddie Hubbard) but there's a lack of spark or freshness, which make the earlier VSOP Quintet recordings the ones to get.

Yes, you're right, I remember that thread now. Thanks. I'm really enjoying the Live Under the Sky reissue, mostly for Tony, Freddie and the great compositions.

OK, let's re-open the issue of the discographical confusion...

THE FACTS

1. The new CD claims that CD1 was recorded on 7/26/79, and CD2 on 7/27/79. CD1 has all the material from the French CD (which is the only previous version I have), albeit with slightly different timings, PLUS 'Eye Of The Hurricane', which was mentioned in the liner notes of the French CD as either being unissued because another version appears on Tempest In The Colosseum (1977), or completely unrecorded (depending on which sentence you're reading). Clearly, it was recorded! CD2 is supposedly all unissued material. Only CD2 has a Herbie/Wayne duet, which is therefore allegedly previously unreleased, if you believe the asterisks, and should date from 7/27, if you believe the CD booklet.

2. The French CD HAS a version of the duet (almost the same timing), which it claims is from 7/26. The story about the rainstorm seems to imply that the duet was on 7/26, and was a spontaneous thing (which Herbie also seems to imply in his brief essay in the new CD). Since Belden says very little about the second show, it is not clear if a duet was played there as well.

3. The reproduction of the original LP cover shows that the duet WAS on the original LP.

4. The unremovable sticker on the CD case says there are 66+ minutes of new music. If you count CD2 WITHOUT the duet, it's about 68 minutes.

POSSIBLE SCENARIOS

1. A duet was played each night. The original vinyl had the track from the first night, as did the French CD. The new CD leaves off the duest from 7/26 from CD1 for lack of space, but includes a (previously unissued) duet from 7/27 on CD2 because there is room (most tracks are a little shorter on 7/27). Disingenuously, the new reissue does not mention that a previously issued track is omitted for lack of space.

OR, more likely,

2. The duet track is actually from 7/26, but included on CD2 for lack of space (I would have put it at the beginning, personally). There was no duet on 7/27 (or at least, it is not being issued here). The asterisks indicating the duet is previously unissued are incorrect, which would explain the 66+ as opposed to the 75+ that you would get if you add up all of CD2.

I have not yet had time to A/B the duets from the French reissue and the new CD, but that would help clear this up once and for all. The odds that Wayne and Herbie played the tune the exact same way two nights in a row is highly unlikely (this is not Weather Report).

Any other ideas?

AUXILIARY QUESTIONS

1. The French CD of Tempest calls the Colosseum Den-en, the French CD of the 1979 concert calls it Denen, Belden calls it Denon. Which is it?

2. Apparently, there was also a huge storm during the 1977 concert!

3. As I mentioned in an earlier post, there is also a studio session from 7/29/79 called Five Stars. It has only come out in Japan. There are only four tracks: 'Skagly' (Hubbard), 'Finger Painting' (Hancock), 'Mutants On The Beach' (Williams) (which later appeared on his Blue Note record Civilization), and 'Circe' (Shorter), which I have been told is actually 'Atlantis'. Does anyone have timings on these? Is this session long enough that it could be issued as a single CD later? Since it would be one CD, Borders could sell it for $27.99.

My opinion of this sloppy work on Sony's part:

:rmad:

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Lon,

I think I saw this Japanese CD once at Tower, but it was like $35 and I already had the French CD ) - I assumed it would come out in the US eventually (this was, like, 10 years ago!). I think the first CD is the same as the French single CD, and the second CD is the Five Stars studio session (which I have never heard) with the four tracks listed above. If so, could you confirm that the four tracks are long enough to make up a separate CD. Then maybe Sony will put it out in my lifetime. I'm only 41, there's still hope :)

Bertrand.

Bertrand, there is more than enough live material to spill over into two cds (about 100 minutes maybe?) on the Japanese copy I have, and no studio material. . . . I can post details tonight when I get home. I like the sound on the Japanese cd, it's "mellower" than the new one which is crisper. . . .

Details:

Disc One:

Eye of the Hurricane, 9:51

Teardrop, 10:23

Domo, 12:10

Para Oriente, 7:33

Pee Wee, 8:13

Total time: 54:49 (intros by Herbie are not included in song times)

Disc Two:

One of Another Kind, 21:05

Fragile, 9:06

Stella By Starlight / On Green Dolphin Street, 7:11

Total time: 41:13 (intros by Herbie are not included in song times)

Well, since we're keeping score, here's the lineup for the 2-LP set (Columbia Digital 12C 36770) I've got:

SIDE ONE:

One Of Another Kind 20:38

SIDE TWO:

Teardrop 10:18

Pee Wee 7:47

SIDE THREE:

Para Oriente 7:09

Fragile 9:08

SIDE FOUR:

Domo 12:13

Stella By Starlight/On Green Dolphin Street 6:45

Given as "Recorded live at Denen Colliseum, Tokyo on July 26, 1979".