33rd Annual Jazz Record Bash-South Plainfield, NJ

Dmitry

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott Wenzel will also be there. This came with a MOSAIC eMail today:

34th ANNUAL JAZZ RECORD BASH

Attention Record Collector's: This event will take place Friday June 24th and Saturday June 25th 2005. Record sales & schmoozing both days and our own Scott Wenzel will be manning a table at the fair. This will take place at the Holiday Inn, 4701 Stelton Road, South Plainfield, NJ 07080. For directions call 908-753-5500 or Email: hispnj1@aol.com

I haven't been to one of those in many years. Collectors are great, they help to preserve the music I love, but get a large group of them together and you might think you're in a nut house! :P

That said, I'm sure record collectors are no different from other's who suffer from the must-have itch. I was kinda sorta like that almost 60 years ago when I first started scouring Copenhagen second-hand shops for tantalizing 78s.

Quick post-return update. I made the 'bash' on the Friday morning. Scott of Mosaic was there with a nice stall selling 'promo' Mosaics at 20% discount and some regular sets (including Selects) at 10% discount. There was also a nice selection of partial OOP sets at $5 per CD. Most of the stalls were dealers of 78s and it looked to be 'de rigeur' to bring along your portable turntable to check out the shellac before purchase. Some amazing stuff by the look of it but not really my particular scene. Joe from Euclid was also there with several boxes of modern jazz goodies from his store.

Chatting with Scott he confirmed that Mosaic are looking to bring out a 1-LP 'set' of this new Coltrane/Monk material, to coincide with a forthcoming CD ( :tup ). By all accounts it would also seem that the late 'run' of sales on the Byrd /Adams set also took everyone by suprise up in Stamford.

As for the journey, the drive in the pimpmobile was quite 'exciting'. :D

Edited by sidewinder

Attendance of dealers and customers was off somewhat this year. Two longtime regulars, Red Carraro and Lloyd Rausch were missing, both due to illness I was told.

Still, I managed to pick up three Mosaic sets at a discount, a few LP's and about a dozen 78's.

Mainly I go for the hang at this point. It's a lot of the same people every year, and I like to hobnob with the fellow record mutants. :alien:

• 11 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I went today for the first time.  Obviously, a lot of vinyl but some CDs.  Scott was there from Mosaic. He had some OOP Mosaics but also a lot of partials, many of which came with a book and box, at great prices.  Picked up a partial Oscar Peterson.  Only missing two discs. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...