Amsterdam clubs and stores recommendations

fent99

it seems many clubs are closed during summer. Here's a website that lists some:

http://www.jazz-clubs-worldwide.com/docs/holland.htm

I haven't been on record shopping tour in Amsterdam for ages, I doubt I could even find anything back. Big rekkid shop: http://www.concerto.nu/

other one (be warned that the people who work there, see it as work, not as a hobby): http://www.plaatboef.com/pltbfmain.html

I know there's a good one near the Rijksmuseum, but cannot tell you where exactly. Here's a list to be investigated at your own risk. I found more online, but most is in dutch.

Good luck and have fun, and don't have your bike stolen!

Edited by couw

If you plan to visit Groningen, here's a nice jazz and blues CD and LP shop:

Swingmaster

Kruitlaan 21

9711 TW Groningen

phone (within the Netherlands): 050 3124020

They're closed on Sundays and Mondays. The shop is owned by RVG's relative Sem van Gelder and blues expert Leo Bruin.

Edited by J.A.W.

Fent99, I was there last year, and I went and heard some jazz at a real cool place called Cafe Alto. Don't remember exactly where it was, but it was not in the main district of the city near the train station, but south of there. Takes about 20 minutes to walk there from the Red Light district. Also, I remember when I was walking down those small, narrow streets that connect the big streets (they almost resemble the alleys we have in Chicago), I came across a Blue Note store. Nice place, but was a bit overpriced if I remember correctly. Don't remember the exact location of that one either, sorry. I guess my only excuse is.....I was in Amsterdam!! :lol: What a great city.......

Edited by sal

Takes about 20 minutes to walk there from the Red Light district.

....and what were you doing in the red light district??? ;)

Ummmm.....eating....... :w

Actually, I was in a comitted relationship at the time, so I looked but didn't touch. But now, being free and single, I'm not so sure the outcome would be the same! ;)

This may be a bit too vague but last time I was in Amsterdam I took the opportunity to vist Delft, which isn't that far away. There they had a few record shops, one of which had a very good stock of jazz vinyl, in particulay old Blue Notes.

Map showing distances here!!!

This may be a bit too vague but last time I was in Amsterdam I took the opportunity to vist Delft, which isn't that far away. There they had a few record shops, one of which had a very good stock of jazz vinyl, in particulay old Blue Notes.

Map showing distances here!!!

Probably Plexus at the Voldersgracht

Takes about 20 minutes to walk there from the Red Light district.

....and what were you doing in the red light district??? ;)

Ummmm.....eating....... :w

...what were you eating??

Lamb pizza!!! Get your mind out of the gutter, Mark!!! :D