• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Serge Gainsbourg.

For anyone not familiar, check this site:

http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Musee/1489/...ourg/serge.html

Brownie,

I nearly picked up a used CD of Gainsbourg's early jazz recordings not too long ago... may head back to the shop and see if it's still there. Any recommendations in that area?

GOM, bear in mind that although Gainsbourg knew his jazz very thoroughly (some favorites of his were Monk, Jimmy Smith, Jackie McLean among others) he did not record any strictly jazz albums.

In addition to what couw already recommended, I would suggest you check 'Confidentiel' (with backing by Elek Bacsik on guitar and Michel Gaudry on bass) and 'Gainsbourg Percussions', also some jazzy soundtracks (with very nice trumpet playing by Roger Guérin) on several items in the 3-CD anthology 'Le Cinéma de Gainsbourg' that came out this year from Universal.

I've been listening to DU JAZZ DANS LE RAVIN, and speaking of Jackie McLean, who is the saxophonist on track #16, "Quand mon 6:35 me fait les yeux doux"? Sure sounds like a Jackie acolyte.. no wonder SG used him. It originally appeared on GAINSBOURG PERCUSSIONS.

Michel Portal, alto; Eddy Louiss, piano; Pierre Michelot, b; Christian Garros, dr; Alain Goraguer, arr. & cond. Recorded October 1964

it's 6.35 BTW, not 6:35

WaltherPPK.jpg