#15 - Blindfold Test (Discussions)

marcoliv

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marcus,

Overall I liked it alot, thanks for the compilation.

#1-electric piano kinda dates it to the 70s, so I'm gonna say Hubbard CTI session.

#2-took me a while to realize what familiar melody that was. Sounds like Eric Alexander to me, and since the piano doesn't sound like Mabern, I'm going to guess Hazeltine. Is this one of those Japanese Venus releases?

#3-OK; no guesses.

#4-like a lot but no guesses.

#5-ditto.

#6-I'm gonna go with Bags.

#7-no guesses and not my favorite of the bunch.

#8-no guesses

#9-the Ellington tune, liked a great deal

#13-one of those annoying tunes cause I know it and think I have it ... but since I had no guess, how could I figure it out? :)

#15-the vocalist was just OK in my opinion.

Thanks again, Marcus! :tup

First of all, thanks Marcus for a great compilation! It´s been a listening pleasure, and it did mean a thing, cause it did get that swing! ;)

I will do some track by track comments later, but for now I will put my guess for

Track 14 This tune came to me like a sting :w . It´s track 8 from this disc:

http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/product.asp...c=list&pid=9579

More familiar tunes, and I think I have a few more tracks. More to come.

At last, a discussion thread. :) Here goes...

1. This has a familiar sound to it somehow, although I don’t think I own it. Stylistically, this is somewhat later than my area of interest, and I’m not really crazy about the soprano solo, but overall I find this quite appealing. The vocal reminds me of some things I’ve heard by Ed Motta.

2. If this isn’t the tune “You’re looking at me”, then it’s something that’s very similar. Nice straight ahead feel. I don’t recognize any of the players yet...

3. This is based on the chord structure of “What is this thing called love”. Nice alto work, nice group sound. Too bad it wasn’t longer.

4. Hmm... I recognize this old bebop theme, but the title is eluding me. This recording is not from the bop era, obviously (electric piano again...). I’m not sure about this one... kind of loose on the reprise of the theme, IMO.

5. Recognized this immeditately. Track one from: This CD

Classic stuff!

6. Another familiar old theme... that I can’t name! Arghhh- this is the part of these BFT’s that make me crazy. ;) I want to say Lionel Hampton (and I just did, apparently). Gotta think more on this one...

7. Nice piece of music, nice mood, but I’m drawing a blank. Not really my favorite style.

8. The opening on this reminds me of Tyner. Not familiar with this recording, though (I don’t think!). Again, not really my thing.

9. “It don’t mean a thing...”, of course. This has a modern sound to it in terms of the recording quality. The piano solo didn’t do a whole lot for me upon first listening. Nice trades between the b & d, though.

10. Bass and drums... two instruments that I least prefer to hear in the spotlight, no matter how great the players. Most of the time, I find it difficult to identify bassists and drummers. I know that’s a flaw in my ability to appreciate jazz, but I’ve come to accept that. The sound of this piece just doesn’t draw me in at all.

11. I might put this one on if I was having trouble falling asleep. ;) Peaceful, but rather uninteresting to my ears.

12. In general, I’m not too fond of jazz/classical fusions, and this is one of the worst examples I’ve ever heard. I really didn’t care for any part of this. Ouch. Sorry.

13. This is pretty nice, although the melody isn’t all that interesting, IMO. Nice group interaction and sound, but nothing very memorable for me here.

14. See #11. ZZZzzzzzzz... :)

15. “Se todos fossem iguais a você” (aka “Someone to light up my life”). One of Jobim’s great collaberations with Vinicius de Moraes (although we don’t hear Vinicius’ original portuguese lyrics here), and one of many great Jobim compositions lesser known outside Brazil. This is one of those pieces of his that almost always brings tears to my eyes- vocal, instrumental, doesn’t matter. I have quite a few versions of this song, but not this one. This relatively adventurous/jazzy interpretation causes me to “ooh” and “ahh” more than cry, though. Being that I’m a Jobim fanatic and somewhat of a vintage Bossa Nova purist, at first I thought the soul-inflected interpretation here wasn’t exactly my cup of tea. However, I have to admit that she really knows how to sing, and there were moments when I got goosebumps. Just like listening to Rosa Passos sing something that Joao Gilberto sang, this kind of updating of a classic is something that may take me some getting used to, yet I can recognize it as wonderful. I think it will grow on me. The singer has definitely listened to Nancy Wilson, IMO, although she’s not trying to be a carbon copy. I just hear some close similarities in her phrasing. Like the vocalist, the pianist is outstanding. You have to really master a song like this first before you can alter it the way he does. VERY tasty chords, and more chills down my spine. I will (of course) look forward to finding out who this is, and on what CD. I hope it’s an all-Jobim program! B-)

Well, some ups and some downs for me, but that’s pretty much normal. Many thanks, Marcus!

=====

edit: Hmm! I just noticed that the " B-) " smiley seems to have a new code! Great news, now we won't see so many of these smileys replacing the (b) (for "bass") in discography listings.

Edited by Jim R

Marcus,

Overall I liked it alot, thanks for the compilation.

#15-the vocalist was just OK in my opinion.

Hey Dan i´m flattered :)

i was expecting you to hate/dislike most of the songs so it's a real nice surprise for me.

i have to disagree with you about track 15. this girl can sing and she sings very very well. of course the song itself helps a lot and i agree with that Jim said "This is one of those pieces of his that almost always brings tears to my eyes"

Marcus

It´s been a listening pleasure, and it did mean a thing, cause it did get that swing!  ;)

i was going to include another track from the same disc when i decided to pay tribute to my friend Agustin. he deserved an Ellington tune on my BFT.

Marcus

ps:btw, you are right about track 14. one of my favorite songs from one of my heroes, played in a different way with a touch of Ravel on it. i felt in love instantly to Eric's work after that.

Edited by marcoliv

Jim, i knew since the beginning that you would recognize instantly track 5 and the song on track 15. you are a PHD on brazilian music but i thought that both songs needed to be there for major exposure.

about track 3 i´ve never thought about it and Martyjazz mentioned the same for me. i also agree that it's too damn short. the entire disc is great except for one vocal.

i was expecting for you to be excited with track 11, don't ask me why, just a feeling....

track 15: sorry to disappoint you, it's not an All-Jobim program but her discs are very good.

thanks for your comments

Marcus

Many, many thanks, Marcus, for this beautiful disc - I have never before enjoyed just listening to a BFT disc so much. I had started writing down my comments in a text file when I noticed the discussion thread was finally started, but these are my thoughts at first listen - I found no reason to revise them after repeated listening.

1. That's the kind of music I expected to hear in your BFT, Marcus! I'd say these players are Brazilian - it reminds of the things of Moacir Santos I have, who I think is a little more progressive than this, maybe they're just influenced by him. The voice and its use in the arrangement remind me of Moacir. OTOH the soprano and Fender piano sound much more "American" than the Brazilian music I have heard - so who knows? ***

2. "You're Lookin' At Me". I first thought of Houston Person with Ron Carter, but after the rest of the band sets in ... don't know if they ever recorded together in a quartet setting. That bassist likes Carter, but some of his pet licks are missing, so I'd say it's not him. Person? A saxist with Ammons and Rollins inlfuences molded into his own style - maybe. ***

3. Nice track! Gary Foster? ****

4. I can sing along with this bebop warhorse, but can't recall its name. At first listen the alto sounded like Bird juiced up a little too much, but he uses some devices invented long after Bird's death, and this is stereo ... no idea. Accomplished beboppers, but a little inaccurate, not quite on the beat during the theme. I hear some Howard McGhee in the trumpet. Hmm ... Not Bird, not Stitt. Still no idea. **1/2

5. I would again say these players are Brazilian - this is similar to what the Bossa Rio group of Sergio Mendes played with Herbie Mann for Atlantic, where they cooked much more than on Cannonball's Riverside LP. Drummer sure sounds like Dom Um Romao - very wild ideas, open, this is to Bossa Nova what Hodbop was to Cooljazz! Pianist could be Mendes - I like this much better than the tepid tinklings on his Atlantic LPs. But the tenor? No idea! The closing arrangement is great! Can I have a copy of that album? Is it available??? The ideal merging of Samba and Hardbop. Oh how I hate those watered-down rhythm sections on the Getz records - this is more like the real thing! *****

6. "Four Brothers"! By one "brother", but can't tell which one. The doorbellist uses a fast vibrato similar to Lionel Hampton - Terry Gibbs? Nice, but a little too mainstreamy for my taste. ***

7. Oh, I knew that one right away! (link)

I had earlier recordings of this pianist, but this album was the one I played to exhaustion, that made me really check him out. This didn't get off the turntable for weeks! Was one of my first CDs later on. This man has tremendous power at the keyboard, and it still grows with age! Great rhythm section, too, especially the drummer and percussionist. I like that they repeat that rhythmic lick in every chorus, keeping up the suspense. *****

8. This is the kind of thing inspired by the Coltrane quartet's "vamp" tunes. That pianist likes his Tyner, for sure. I like the relaxed manner they play it in! I should know that tenor - some Trane disciple with a very clear style. Bet I have some records he's on ... ***1/2

9. Uhh, that bass drum sounds awful! Like one of those cardboard drums they used for selling washing detergents when I was a kid ... Ron Carter! Sure some of his pet licks. Drummer reminds me of Ben Riley, but the sound ... one of those dreaded 1970's recordings. Nice pianist, but no idea - I dare say he was older than Carter when this was recorded, or a rather conservative player. */*** (sound/music)

10. Now that's a much better recording, great bass sound and player, I'll buy that CD!!! Great interaction and drive. ***** Who in all the world is this???!!!

11. Some Erik Satie influence in the composition. I was wondering how they would get around to blow some chorusses, as these Satie things tend to go around in circles and lead nowhere, but they managed to make a nice transition. Again, no idea, but me like'um! A well-rehearsed trio. ****

12. Strange mixture. Reminds me of those Jazz Goes Baroque things popular in the 1970's. I love strings, but only if they use less vibrato than here - one baroque musician compared this thick vibrato to an overuse of icing on a cake - which it is here. NMCOT. **

13. Very nice time feel, but the conga player should have played in a more open style, not just stick to his tumbao in straight Latin feel. He sounds like a late addition to the session, not familiar with the tune and the necessary accents. Why do they use a congero when they do not really integrate him into the piece?! I am all the more irritated because I like the composition and the relaxed understatement of the piano trio very much! ***

14. Again very nice, and again, no idea! I like the penive mood very very much! ****

15. 15 tracks for BFT 15 - a masterpiece of well planned musical enjoyment! Very nice programming! I think I have heard that singer before and like her ... Nancy Wilson?

Muy obrigado, Marcus !!!

Jim, your link is not working (at least for me) but i confirm that it's track 7 on my disc :lol:

Marcus

I just tried the link, and it opened, and then I got a security warning message. So, I may need to post a different link. The CD features some trombonists, yes? B-) The review I read at AAJ mentions the trombones being featured (thus the title of the CD), but doesn't specify which tracks they appear on. Also, I couldn't locate any sound samples that worked for me (RA or MP3), so I couldn't verify my guess...

#2... That tune is more than 50% "You're lookin' at me"!! :huh:^_^ I hear a difference toward the end of the theme, though, which is why I posted the way I did. Somebody stole a good portion of that old tune... but I know that's not so unusual.

hey Mike, i´m soooooo happy with your thoughts. it´s a real BLAST to produce a Blindfold test!!!!!!!

that's what i like on track 1. the mixture of brazilian & american cultures. all of you know that i like funk music a lot and this guy has his deep roots on this musical style. when he decided to move to New York he realized all the time that he lost in his life ignoring brazilian music. he moved back to Brazil and his career changed a lot after that.

when it comes to brazilian music Jim is a devil so he is RIGHT about this being Ed Motta.

i always thought that only me & his mother would have this CD. yep, you are right, it is Gary Foster. congrats on this one :tup

7. Oh, I knew that one right away! (link)

I had earlier recordings of this pianist, but this album was the one I played to exhaustion, that made me really check him out. This didn't get off the turntable for weeks! Was one of my first CDs later on. This man has tremendous power at the keyboard, and it still grows with age! Great rhythm section, too, especially the drummer and percussionist. I like that they repeat that rhythmic lick in every chorus, keeping up the suspense. *****

BILLIONS OF THANKS Mike for showing some love to this man and this fantastic album IMHO.

you have described exactly my feelings about it :wub: .

i just remember when my father bought the vynil and we listened to it exhaustively. my favorite record of his career. the interaction between him and the percussion is amazing!!!

Marcus

5. Drummer sure sounds like Dom Um Romao - very wild ideas, open, this is to Bossa Nova what Hodbop was to Cooljazz!

Can I have a copy of that album? Is it available??? The ideal merging of Samba and Hardbop.

and it is Mike. Dom Um Romao is a true master on his instrument.

yes, you can! released by DUBAS in 2001 for the first time ever on CD. the following album is available too.

Dusty Groove also has from the UK label "Whatmusic" another album from this group expanded to 7 members, that's why the name of the band is different from the previous ones

Marcus

Ed Motta ... never heard of him. Did he study with Moacir Santos or acknowledge his influence?

Gary Foster - well he has something in his sound that nobody else has - that very peronal way he ends phrases, that gave it away. I don't have that record, so you have to steal your mother's copy and send it to me ;) .

I will try to get that CD from which track 5 is - I have a Baden Powell LP he is on, but like him much better here.

BILLIONS OF THANKS Mike for showing some love to this man and this fantastic album IMHO.

you have described exactly my feelings about it :wub: .

i just remember when my father bought the vynil and we listened to it exhaustively. my favorite record of his career. the interaction between him and the percussion is amazing!!!

Marcus

You're welcome!

I even used this album at dancing parties! One of my five favorite jazz pianists of all time!

Ed Motta ... never heard of him. Did he study with Moacir Santos or acknowledge his influence?

Ed Motta is one of the guests on Moacir´s latest release "Ouro Negro". it is a 2cd release. Ed sings/performs Orfeu

you can also find there Milton Nascimento, Joyce, João Bosco & Gilberto Gil

Marcus

5. I would again say these players are Brazilian - this is similar to what the Bossa Rio group of Sergio Mendes played with Herbie Mann for Atlantic, where they cooked much more than on Cannonball's Riverside LP. Drummer sure sounds like Dom Um Romao - very wild ideas, open, this is to Bossa Nova what Hodbop was to Cooljazz! Pianist could be Mendes - I like this much better than the tepid tinklings on his Atlantic LPs. But the tenor? No idea! The closing arrangement is great! Can I have a copy of that album? Is it available??? The ideal merging of Samba and Hardbop. Oh how I hate those watered-down rhythm sections on the Getz records - this is more like the real thing! *****

Mike,

I have wondered for awhile (no big deal, just curious) if you ever noticed the thread I started about Brazilian jazz. I know you're hip to most of this, so it was curious to me that you never joined in:

Hard Bossa?

In fact, I think it's MIKE that is the PHD around here (I'm still learning). B-)

Mike, talk to Lon about Ed Motta- he's a very big fan.

Sheesh! 18 replies already! I better get on the stick!

First off, thanks Marcus for an extraordinarily enjoyable BFT. I'm having a lot of fun with this one, and it will stay in fairly heavy rotation in my collection for a while! I don't think there's a single cut I don't like. So, without further ado:

1. Kicking this off with a bang for me is something that sounded initially CTI-ish; I was thinking Bob James when I heard the Rhoads, but when the vocalist kicked in, I got confused. Not sure who this is, but I like it a lot. Not sure who the saxophone player is. Too smooth for Dave Leibman; can't place it. Love the tune, though!

2. Nice and smooth (not smooth in a bad way). Tenor's got a very fluid sound--I feel like I should recognize the player. I've always liked tenor/bass duet sections of tunes. Great sound on this! Unfortunately, I have no idea who anyone is!

3. This sounds like Paul Desmond; hopefully I'm finally getting one (player) right. If it is Paul it's from one of his later records. Not skylarking (electric piano on that, IIRC), but similar time. It's not with Brubeck, I know that!

4. A song I have in another instrumentation on another record. Of course, I can't place it here, but I love the instrumentation. Interesting either low range alto work, or high altitude tenor work. Trumpeter schooled in the Miles Davis school of mutework! Not my favorite so far, but nice nonetheless.

5. Late '70's post-bop in the style of Eastern Rebellion? No idea who's playing the trumpet, but it's not a Rudy recording--the piano's not well-enough recorded. Could this be one of Donald Byrd's bop sides that he did in the middle of his fusion period?

6. Another one I should know, and think I have in my collection. Unfortunately, it's not registering. Nice vibe/sax doubling. Who could it be? No idea! But I like it.

7. Electric fretless bass. This sounds like Weather Report. I absolutely love it--geat piece! This one has me out of my chair for sure. Great sound, great tune! This one is a must-get, assuming the rest of the record is similar!

8. More great chords. Very similar to the previous song. Ooooh, my favorite--tenor/trumpet doubling. This could be a Shorter side. Or at least he's a sideman. I think this is a BN recording. Could be from Schizophrenia. Love it.

9. It don't mean a thing (if it ain't got that swing). Finally I get the one song that everyone will get!!! But I have no idea who's playing. :( Not a huge fan of this one.

10. I have no idea who that is on bass; very accomplished. I can appreciate the musicianship, but I'm not wild about it.

11. Aaaaah, I know I've heard this before. Must have been in a movie! :lol: Beautiful. But, again, I don't know who's playing or what it is!

12. Taking us out on a medieval note? Sounds like lute playing, but I'm not sure...might be an older classical guitar.

13. You like these songs that start with the bass, don't you? Oh, nice nice nice piano work. I love this song. Don't know who it is or what, but it's got a great late night vibe. Must get this record.

14. Starting like a seriously detuned Maiden Voyage, but I think it's something else. Yes, definitely something else, but ripping a copy from HH's playbook. More great instrumentation. Wait a minute...this is Englishman in New York! Ha! This has to be HH's "The New Standard!" DAMN, it's not. I'd ordinarily have just posted a link, but the track listing for New Standard doesn't include this piece. So I'm willing to cheat; must be track 8 from this record.

15. Not sure who this is (common response of mine). Although I will say that I was blown away the other day in Tower by a Natalie Cole CD where she was singing jazz with a big band. Don't think this is her, but it could be a similar crossover.

Very nice comp, Marcus! I really enjoyed it. I can't wait to start reading what others have to say about the selections--and finding out what the answers are!

Thanks--this one was fun!

Mike,

I have wondered for awhile (no big deal, just curious) if you ever noticed the thread I started about Brazilian jazz. I know you're hip to most of this, so it was curious to me that you never joined in:

Hard Bossa?

In fact, I think it's MIKE that is the PHD around here (I'm still learning). B-)

Mike, talk to Lon about Ed Motta- he's a very big fan.

Jim, you're flattering! There is so much music in the thread you linked that I haven't heard ...

I just listened very closely to the ones I have, and, being a percussionist, I may be aware of some of the rhythmic/musical aspects that non-musicians may overlook. And I hate the sloppy watered-down stuff - especially German jazz musicians are sometimes hard to endure with their pseudo-knowledge of this music - most of them seem to think Getz is the real bossa nova!

I must have overlooked that thread - I will check it out (mercy my budget ... :rolleyes: )!